Euston Square tube station
Entrance on Gower Street
Location of Euston Square in Central London
|Local authority||London Borough of Camden|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Accessible||Yes (Westbound only)|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|10 January 1863||Opened as Gower Street|
|1 November 1909||Renamed Euston Square|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
Euston Square is a London Underground station at the corner of Euston Road and Gower Street, just north of University College London and within walking distance of Euston railway station. It is between Great Portland Street and King's Cross St. Pancras on the Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, in Travelcard Zone 1. It should not be confused with the nearby Euston tube station for the Northern and Victoria lines.
In 2011, two new lifts linking the westbound platform to the street were opened. On top of these a new modern entrance was opened.
The station opened in 1863 as "Gower Street", changing to its present name in 1909. In late 2006 the new entrance on the south side of Euston Road opened in a corner of the new headquarters of the Wellcome Trust replacing the old entrance. There is also a subway entrance on the north side of Euston Road.
In December 2005 Network Rail announced plans to create a subway link between the station and Euston station as part of the re-development of Euston station. This will create a direct link for users of main line rail services which depart from Euston. These plans would also be pursued during a rebuilding for High Speed 2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Euston Square tube station.|
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived from the original on 26 January 2015.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Euston redevelopment". Always Touch Out. 25 January 2006. Archived from the original on 2006-02-13.
- "High speed rail". Transport Select Committee. House of Commons. 28 June 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-09-28.
- "London Euston railway station to Euston Square tube station subway link". Always Touch Out.
- "Euston Square Entrance in 1950s". Photo collection. London Transport Museum.
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
|Hammersmith & City line||