List of traffic circles in New Jersey
This is a list of traffic circles in New Jersey. The U.S. state of New Jersey at one point had a total of 101 traffic circles, 44 of which were part of state roads. However, the number has shrunk as traffic circles have been phased out by the New Jersey Department of Transportation. In the 1920s and 1930s, New Jersey felt that traffic circles were an efficient way for moving traffic through three or more intersecting roads. Built in 1925, the first traffic circle in New Jersey was the Airport Circle in Pennsauken. Many of these interchanges are rotaries in design, as opposed to the more successful modern roundabout.
As suburban and rural populations grew New Jersey's traffic circles became outdated. The increased number of drivers on the roads resulted in traffic circles being more likely to hinder traffic than help it. Increased number of vehicles and faster traffic speeds made traffic circles more dangerous and accidents common. Many traffic circles became notorious for having frequent accidents and being confusing, especially for non-locals. Starting around the 1970s, the New Jersey Department of Transportation began phasing out traffic circles. Common methods of eliminating traffic circles are building a road through the circle, adding traffic lights, and the use of grade separation.
Modified traffic circles are intersections where parts or all of the original circle still exist as a major part of the intersection.
||Modified||US 30, US 130, NJ 70, NJ 38, Kaighn Ave.||First traffic circle in New Jersey. Traffic lights, ramps and overpasses have been added.|
|Airport Circle||Egg Harbor Township
||Modified||CR 563, CR 646, Amelia Earhart Blvd.||Entrance to the Atlantic City International Airport. In 2011, the circle was revised to allow Delilah Road motorists to pass straight through the circle, plus the addition of traffic signals.|
||Modified||Allwood Road (CR 602), Bloomfield Avenue (CR 622)||Reconfigured to roundabout alignment.|
|Allenwood Circle (Hurleys Corner Circle)||Allenwood
||NJ 34 & Allaire Road|
|Asbury Park Circle||Asbury Park
||NJ 35, NJ 66, CR 16|
||Modified||US 30, NJ 41|||
||Modified||US 1/9, New Jersey Route 439|
|Berlin Circle||Berlin Township
||Defunct||NJ 73, Berlin-Cross Keys Rd., Walker Ave.|||
|Boulevard and Passaic Avenue Circle||Hasbrouck Heights, Wood-Ridge
||Boulevard, Passaic Ave.|
|Bound Brook Circle||Bound Brook
||East Main St and Bolmer Blvd.|
|Brielle Circle||Wall Township
||Defunct||NJ 34, NJ 35, NJ 70||Replaced with an at-grade intersection with jughandles.|
||CR 520, Campus Drive
||Added in 2007; previously an at-grade intersection with a traffic light. Located at the entrance to Brookdale Community College.|
|Browning Road Circle||Pennsauken||Defunct|
|Brunswick Circle||Trenton and Lawrence
||US 206, US 1 Bus., CR 645|
|Burnet Street Circle||New Brunswick||Defunct|
|Camp Merritt Memorial Circle||Cresskill
||CR 505 (Knickerbocker Rd.), Madison Ave.|
|Cardiff Circle||Egg Harbor
||Defunct||US 40, US 322, CR 563|||
|Charlotte Circle||Jersey City
||Modified||G.S. Pkwy., CR 613, CR 632||Exit 135 of the Garden State Pkwy., traffic lights added in 2007.|
|College Drive Circle (Roundabout)||Blackwood
||CR 673||Built in 2009 at the entrance to Camden County College. 3 other traffic circles were built on college grounds, along with new service roads for improved safety and more accessibility to the college, near Route 42 and Route 168.|
||Defunct||US 30, US 130, White Horse Pike, Woodlynne Ave.||Replaced by an at-grade intersection with jughandles in 2009.|
|Collingwood Circle||Wall Township
||NJ 33, NJ 34, CR 547|
|Cooper Landing Circle||Cherry Hill
||Modified||NJ 38, Cooper Landing Road, Church Road|
||US 130, CR 539, CR 685|
||Defunct||NJ 35, NJ 36|
|Ellisburg Circle||Cherry Hill
||Defunct||NJ 41, NJ 70, NJ 154|||
||US 202, NJ 12, NJ 31||To be replaced with a modern roundabout.|
|Four Mile Circle||Southampton, Pemberton
||NJ 70, NJ 72, CR 644, CR 646|
|Franklin Lake Circle||Franklin Lakes
||Defunct||US 9, NJ 33 Bus., Manalapan Ave.|
||NJ 37, NJ 70|
|Laurelton Circle||Brick Township
||Defunct||NJ 70, NJ 88, CR 630|
||Defunct||US 46, NJ 10, Circle Dr.|||
||Defunct||CR 607, CR 615|
|Little Ferry Circle||Little Ferry
||Modified||US 46, Bergen Tpke.|
||Modified||Eisenhower Parkway, NJ 10 (Mt. Pleasant Ave.), W Northfield Rd.|
|Main Street Circle||Flemington
||NJ 12, Main St., South Main St., Reaville Ave.|
|Manasquan Circle||Wall Township
||NJ 35, CR 524 Spur|
|Marlton Circle||Evesham Township
||Defunct||NJ 70, NJ 73||Replaced with an interchange in 2011.|
|CR 505 (W Palisade Ave.), Tenafly Rd., Bennett Rd., Lafayette Ave.|
|Morlot Avenue Bridge Circle||Paterson
||Defunct||NJ 20, CR 651|
||Defunct||US 46, NJ 183|
|Park Avenue and Passaic Avenue||Rutherford
||NJ 31, CR 546, CR 640|
|Penns Neck Circle||West Windsor
||Modified||US 1, CR 571|
|Pole Tavern Circle||Upper Pittsgrove
||US 40, NJ 77, CR 604, CR 635|
|Pudgy Circle||McGuire AFB, New Hanover Township
||McGuire Blvd, First Street|
|Race Track Circle||Cherry Hill
||Defunct||NJ 70, CR 644|||
|Red Lion Circle||Southampton
||US 206, NJ 70|
||Defunct||US 1, NJ 39, Hendricks Causeway|
|Route 12 Circle||Flemington
||NJ 12, CR 523, Mine St.|
|Routes 1 & 130 Circle||North Brunswick
||Defunct||US 1, US 130, NJ 171||Replaced by at-grade intersection, now an interchange.|
|Somers Point Circle||Somers Point
||Defunct||NJ 52, CR 559, CR 585||Replaced by an intersection with traffic signals.|
|Somerville Circle||Bridgewater, Raritan
||Modified||US 202, US 206, NJ 28||An overpass and traffic lights were added in the 1990s.|
||Modified||Park Avenue, Orient Way, Union Avenue, and Erie Avenue||Rebuilt August 2003 - 2005|
|Tonnele Circle||Jersey City
||Modified||US 1/9, US 1/9 Truck, NJ 139, Tonnele Ave.|
|Union Avenue Circle||Lakehurst
||NJ 70, Union Ave., South Union Ave., Pine St., Myrtle Ave.|
||Defunct||US 9, NJ 35, Chevalier Ave., Main St.||Replaced with a diamond interchange in 2006.|
||CR 645, CR 642|
||CR 509, CR 610, NJ 28, Westfield Ave., Watterson St.||Expanded to two lanes in 2005 with one way designations added to Watterson St. (Inbound), and Westfield Ave. (Outbound)|
|White Horse Circle||White Horse
||Modified||US 206, CR 524, CR 533|
- Peterson, Iver (1991-11-12). "Squaring Traffic Circles With Lights and Bridges". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- Capuzzo, Jill P. (2007-11-25). "A Shift, but for Some Drivers, a Vicious Circle". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- Walsh, Jim (2006-07-29). "Circles slow to roll off South Jersey roadways". Courier-Post. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- Africano, Lillian; Nina Africano (2006). You Know You're in New Jersey When...: 101 Quintessential Places, People, Events, Customs, Lingo, and Eats of the Garden State. Guilford, CT: Globe Pequot. p. 90. ISBN 0-7627-3939-8.
- Newman, Andy (1996-01-28). "Road and Rail; Straightening Out the Perilous Somerville Circle". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- Dwyer, Christopher. "Buchart-Horn Designs Replacement For Bygone Transportation System". Buchart Horn, Inc. & BASCO Associates. Archived from the original on 2007-08-13. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- "Roadwork at Egg Harbor Township's Airport Circle will cause delays next week - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Breaking News". pressofAtlanticCity.com. 2011-04-08. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "Clark Circle". Union County Bureau of Traffic Safety & Maintenance. 2007-10-08. Archived from the original on 2007-10-15. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "College Drive Roundabout at Camden County College". Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- Rosen, Jeremy (October 12, 2009). "Marlton Circle in for more changes". The Courier-Post. Retrieved 2009-10-28.[dead link]
- Confusing Flemington traffic circles to go in new directions, The Star-Ledger, March 15, 2009, http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/2009/03/traffic_circles_are_as_new.html, retrieved 5/22/2009
- "NJDOT: Traffic pattern at Marlon Circle to change Monday morning". Medford Central Record. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- Urgo, Jacqueline L. (2008-02-10). "Bottleneck at Shore will be a breeze". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Archived from the original on 2008-02-12. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- Good, Dan (2010-10-18). "Local restaurants could lose business, as construction crews eliminate Somers Point traffic circle". Press of Atlantic City. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "Route 9 and 35 Victory Circle Elimination Project". New Jersey Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2008-07-28.