Prowers County, Colorado
|Prowers County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Colorado's location in the U.S.
|Founded||April 11, 1889|
|Named for||John W. Prowers|
|• Total||1,644.35 sq mi (4,259 km2)|
|• Land||1,640.38 sq mi (4,249 km2)|
|• Water||3.97 sq mi (10 km2), 0.24%|
|• Density||9/sq mi (3/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Prowers County is one of the 64 counties of the State of Colorado of the United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 12,551. The county seat is Lamar. The county is named in honor of John W. Prowers, a leading pioneer in the lower Arkansas valley region.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 1,644.35 square miles (4,258.8 km2), of which 1,640.38 square miles (4,248.6 km2) (or 99.76%) is land and 3.97 square miles (10.3 km2) (or 0.24%) is water.
- Kiowa County, Colorado - north
- Greeley County, Kansas - northeast
- Hamilton County, Kansas - east
- Stanton County, Kansas - southeast
- Baca County, Colorado - south
- Bent County, Colorado - west
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,483 people, 5,307 households, and 3,725 families residing in the county. The population density was 9 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 5,977 housing units at an average density of 4 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 78.57% White, 0.30% Black or African American, 1.22% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 17.17% from other races, and 2.34% from two or more races. 32.91% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 5,307 households out of which 37.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.60% were married couples living together, 10.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.80% were non-families. 25.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the county the population was spread out with 30.00% under the age of 18, 10.70% from 18 to 24, 26.50% from 25 to 44, 20.20% from 45 to 64, and 12.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 101.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $29,935, and the median income for a family was $34,202. Males had a median income of $24,971 versus $20,526 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,150. About 14.50% of families and 19.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.10% of those under age 18 and 13.90% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Outline of Colorado
- Index of Colorado-related articles
- Colorado counties
- Colorado municipalities
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Prowers County, Colorado
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Prowers County Government website
- Colorado County Evolution by Don Stanwyck
- Colorado Historical Society
||Kiowa County||Greeley County, Kansas|
|Bent County||Hamilton County, Kansas|
|Baca County||Stanton County, Kansas|