Wikipedia:Files for deletion
|Skip to table of contents · Skip to current discussions ·
Files for deletion (FfD) is for listing images and other media files which are unneeded. Files that have been listed here for more than 7 days are eligible for deletion if either a consensus to do so has been reached or no objections to deletion have been raised. To quote the non-free content criteria, "it is the duty of users seeking to include or retain content to provide a valid rationale; those seeking to remove or delete it are not required to show that one cannot be created." For undeletion requests, first contact the administrator who deleted the file. If you are unable to resolve the issue with that administrator, the matter should be brought to deletion review.
If you have questions if something should be deleted, consider asking at Media Copyright Questions.
Examples of what you may request here
What not to list here
Instructions for listing files for deletion
To list a file:
State the reasons why the file should be deleted. Some common reasons are:
These are not the only "valid" reasons to delete a file. Any properly explained reason can be used. The above list comprises the most common and uncontroversial ones.
Since abbreviated deletion reasons will not be familiar to most Wikipedians, especially newbies, please consider using full words. A few extra keystrokes now can save paragraphs of explanation to a panicked uploader wondering what's wrong with their image.
If you remove a file from an article, list the article from which you removed it so there can be community review of whether the file should be deleted. This is necessary because file pages do not remember the articles on which the file were previously used.
|Possibly unfree files (PUF)|
- 1 What not to list here
- 2 Instructions for discussion participation
- 3 Instructions for closing discussions
- 4 Old discussions
- 5 Recent nominations
- 5.1 April 27
- 5.1.1 File:Tejas-orthographic-view.png
- 5.1.2 File:Los Angeles Lakers logo.png
- 5.1.3 File:Chemical Structure of Pyrethrin.png
- 5.1.4 File:Structural formula for Surotomycin.png
- 5.1.5 File:Chemical structure of acifran.png
- 5.1.6 File:Cyclodecanone alkylation.jpeg
- 5.1.7 File:DRAQ5 structure.jpg
- 5.1.8 File:Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 2.51.36 PM.png
- 5.1.9 File:Italian-Sommelier-Association-Badge-and-Gold-Pin.jpg
- 5.1.10 File:Logo-Italian-Sommelier-Association.jpg
- 5.2 April 28
- 5.3 April 29
- 5.4 April 30
- 5.5 May 1
- 5.6 May 2
- 5.7 May 3
- 5.1 April 27
- 6 Footer
Instructions for discussion participation
In responding to the deletion nomination, consider adding your post in the format
* '''View''' - Reasoning ... -- ~~~~
where "Delete", "Keep", "Comment", or something else may replace "View". In posting their reasoning, many editors use abbreviations and cite to the following:
- Wikipedia:NFCC#1 – Free equivalent is/is not available
- Wikipedia:NFCC#8 – Significance
- Wikipedia:Non-free content#Images 2 – Unacceptable image use
Remember that polling is not a substitute for discussion. Wikipedia's primary method of determining consensus is through editing and discussion, not voting. Although editors occasionally use straw polls in an attempt to test for consensus, polls or surveys sometimes impede rather than assist discussion. They should be used with caution, and are no more binding than any other consensus decision.
Also remember that if you believe that an image is potentially useful for other projects and should be moved to Wikimedia Commons, in lieu of responding
'''Move to Commons''', you can move it there yourself. See Wikipedia:Moving files to the Commons for instructions.
Instructions for closing discussions
Nominations should be processed for closing after being listed for 7 days following the steps here.
The following discussions are more than 7 days old and are pending processing by an administrator:
|This page has a backlog that requires the attention of one or more administrators.
This notice is automatically updated by AnomieBOT (talk) and will no longer be displayed when the backlog is cleared.
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 March 7 - 1 remaining
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 April 11 - 4 remaining
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 April 12 - 2 remaining
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 April 13 - 2 remaining
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 April 14 - 1 remaining
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 April 24 - 2 remaining
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 April 25 - 4 remaining
For older nominations, see the archives.
Discussions approaching conclusion
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 April 26 - Discussions with at least 6 full days since nomination. After 7 days, they may be closed.
Shall we keep or delete the local copy of the Los Angeles Lakers logo in case of doubt? I nominated the SVG version for deletion in Commons, but the result was "kept". George Ho (talk) 10:28, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
Incorrectly drawn chemical structure, not used in an article. Leyo 17:12, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
Very low quality (pixelated), orphaned/replaced. Leyo 17:13, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
This is a scan, not the original with any metadata. The contributor would appear to be in India and this presentation would not appear to be so. To be retained better metadata and proof of copyright should be requested. — billinghurst sDrewth 10:48, 29 April 2015 (UTC)
File:'Father Damien as a Leper with Boys of Kalaupapa, 1889', painting by George Heidler, ca. 1967, Star of the Sea Catholic Church, Kalapana, Hawaii.jpg
Image was incorrectly used as Fair Use at Star of the Sea Painted Church that has nothing to do with Father Damien. Deleted image link from article. He was never at Star of the Sea church on the island of Hawaii. Info on the article was unsourced. Damien was initially at a mission in Kohala on the north shore of the island of Hawaii. His legacy was from his service at Kalapaupa on Molokai (not Kalapapa on the island of Hawaii). — Maile (talk) 20:49, 29 April 2015 (UTC)
Invalid fair-use rationale. The biographical information can be conveyed by text with the newspaper as source. No significant image details, that would require an image. GermanJoe (talk) 07:27, 30 April 2015 (UTC)
Non free image that is largely decorative in an article with many free images, and the possibility of creating more. It is unnecessary for reader's understanding to see this image of this particular team. Image fails WP:NFCC#8 Peripitus (Talk) 12:16, 30 April 2015 (UTC)
- This is a historically significant image not only visually identifying the first Lithuania men's national basketball team after regaining the country's independence, but it also illustrates the historic game versus possibly the greatest basketball team ever formed. There is no other version of this kind of image which makes it irreplaceable. By the way, it is not commercial work and you cannot roll-back time to this particular event and take picture of these players standing together during it. Visual illustration of important and medals-winning team is important for me if I would be article's reader not less than informative text. Furthermore, during this game the biggest lose in the Lithuanian team's history happened so it undoubtedly was historically significant. -- Pofka (talk) 14:39, 30 April 2015 (UTC)
The source provided for the file doesn't even have the file on its page. It just links to the official video of the song on YouTube where this is NOT the cover art but just a simple titlecard which adds no value to the article whatsoever. Good faith. All About That Bass (A word?? / Stalking not allowed...) 06:32, 1 May 2015 (UTC)
Photo of a building used under a claim of fair use. India has freedom of panorama for buildings, so this image is replaceable. (Even if India did not have freedom of panorama, a WP:FREER version could be created.) B (talk) 01:57, 2 May 2015 (UTC)
- This is a rendering of a building that's under construction. Aren't images of this nature typically kept until the building is completed and a free(r) photograph can be taken? - Eureka Lott 16:50, 2 May 2015 (UTC)
Please ensure "===May 3===" is at the very top of the new page so that internal page links from the main Files for deletion page (the one you're on now) work.