|• Total||29 km2 (11 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Area code(s)||+380 6236|
Avdiivka (Ukrainian: Авдіївка Ukrainian pronunciation: [ɑu̯ˈɟijiu̯kɑ], Russian: Авдеевка) is a city of oblast significance in Donetsk Oblast (province) of Ukraine. The city is located in center of the region just north from the city of Donetsk. Avdiivka is best known for its big Avdiivka Coke Plant. Population: 35,128 (2013 est.).
Starting Mid-April 2014 separatists captured several towns in Donetsk Oblast; including Avdiivka. On 21 July 2014, Ukrainian forces reportedly secured the city from separatists who rejected the violent ousting of the elected Ukrainian President. This claim was repeated the next day. Ukrainian forces kept control of Avdiivka, which became a frontline city, used by Ukrainian forces as a launchpad for shelling of separatist strongholds in Donetsk, and frequently targeted by separatist forces.
- "Чисельність наявного населення України (Actual population of Ukraine)" (in Ukrainian). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Leonid Ragozin. "Putin Is Accidentally Helping Unite Eastern and Western Ukraine - The New Republic". The New Republic. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "TASS: World - Donbass defenders put WWII tank back into service". TASS. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Children run for their lives at beach near Donetsk during mortar fire". Mail Online. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "TASS: World - Ukraine's army launches massive offensive operation on Donetsk". TASS. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "BBC: Ukrainian military 'seizes Avdiivka' in rebel Donetsk stronghold". KyivPost. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- Bloomberg: Ukraine pushes for UN peacekeepers, Ukraine Today (21 April 2015)
Ukraine crisis: The factory that has been shelled 165 times, BBC News (17 April 2015)
- "Ukrcensus.gov.ua". ukrcensus.gov.ua. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
|This article about a location in Donetsk Oblast is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|