||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Chairman of the People's Soviet of the Donetsk People's Republic|
4 September 2015
|Preceded by||Andrei Purgin|
|Vice Chairman of the People's Soviet of the Donetsk People's Republic|
14 November 2014 – 4 September 2015
|Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Donetsk People's Republic|
15 May 2014 – 18 July 2014
|Succeeded by||Vladimir Makovych (Acting)|
9 May 1981 |
Makiivka, Donetsk Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, USSR
|Political party||Donetsk Republic|
Denis Vladimirovich Pushilin (Russian: Дени́с Влади́мирович Пуши́лин, pronounced [dʲɪˈnʲis vlɐˈdʲimʲɪrəvʲɪtɕ pʊˈʂɨlʲɪn]; Ukrainian: Денис Володимирович Пушилін; born on May 9, 1981) is a politician who was the self-declared Chairman of the People's Soviet (Speaker of parliament) of the Donetsk People's Republic, and therefore, under the draft Constitution adopted on May 15, the self-declared republic's head of state.
Ukrainian media claimed that Pushilin's highest stage of formal education is secondary education. According to his (November 2013) autobiography at the Central Election Commission of Ukraine, in May 2014 Russia's ITAR-TASS (news agency) reported Pushilin had graduated from the Donbass Academy of Civil Engineering and Architecture.
Prior to his political activism, Pushilin worked for a recent successor of the 1990s Russian Ponzi scheme company MMM, which cost its customers millions of dollars before it was disbanded in 1994. Pushilin never denied involvement in such schemes and affirmed that "pyramid schemes were legal in Russia at the time".
As a member of the "We Have One Goal" party Pushilin failed to win a seat in the 15 December 2013 repeat elections of the 2012 Ukrainian parliamentary election in simple-majority constituencies number 94 (located in Obukhiv) because got only 0.08% of the votes. Pushilin's (only 1 page long) election program did not contain any statement on a wanted change of Ukraine's current borders. According to his election information, in December 2013 Pushilin was "temporarily not working".
On 19 May 2014 Pushilin became the self-declared Chairman of the Supreme Soviet (Speaker of parliament) of the Donetsk People's Republic, and therefore, under the draft Constitution adopted on May 15, the self-declared republic's head of state.
Pushilin has survived two assassination attempts so far, both occurring within a week on the 7th and 12th of June 2014. Pushilin was in Moscow on those dates, as was widely reported at the time.[better source needed]
While in Moscow in June 2014, Pushilin announced that enterprises in the areas claimed as the Donetsk People's Republic refusing to pay taxes to the republic would be "nationalized".
- Деніс Пушилін: Мажоритарні округи \ Київська область \ Округ №94 [Denis Pushylin: Majority districts \ Kyiv oblast \ District №94] (in Ukrainian). nbnews.com.ua. 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Denis Pushilin elected parliamentary speaker of Donetsk People's Republic". Voice of Russia. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- (in Ukrainian) Short bio of candidate Pushilin, Central Election Commission of Ukraine
- Newly formed Donetsk Republic elects parliament speaker, ITAR-TASS (15 May 2014)
- Financial Times, Donetsk governor battles to restore order, by John Reed, 26/27 April 2014, p5.
- Ukrayinska Pravda, Глава уряду самопроголошеної Донецької народної республіки: "Зараз мені ніколи займатися МММ" [The head of government of the self-proclaimed People's Republic of Donetsk: "Now I have no time to engage with MMM"], by Екатерина Сергацкова [Ekaterina Sergatskova], April 15, 2014.
- Stephanie Höppner (20 April 2014). "Unknown takes separatist spotlight in Ukraine". Deutsche Welle. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- (in Ukrainian) Results in single-member district 94 in 2013 repeat election, NB News
- "В Донецке совершено покушение на председателя "Верховного совета ДНР" Пушилина, его помощник убит" [Assassination attempt in Donetsk on the chairman of the "Supreme Soviet of the DPR" Pushilin, his assistant killed] (in Russian). RBK Ukraine (РБК-Україна). 7 June 2014.
- "Blast targets self-proclaimed E. Ukraine leader's vehicle, 2 killed". Russia Today. 12 June 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- Dmitry Tymchuk (14 June 2014). "Dmitry Tymchuk's military blog: No end to Kremlin cynicism". Kyiv Post. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Pushilin: Donetsk enterprises refusing to pay taxes to budget of Donetsk People's Republic will be nationalized". Kyiv Post. Interfax. 14 June 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Денис Пушилин ушел в отставку". Газета.Ru. 18 July 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- Пушилин возглавил парламент ДНР [Pushilin led DPR parliament astray] (in Russian). Interfax. 4 September 2015. Retrieved 11 September 2015.