China Railways CRH3
|China Railways CRH3 EMU|
CRH3C at Changsha South Railway Station
|In service||2008 – present|
Tangshan Railway Vehicle
Changchun Railway Vehicle
|Family name||Siemens Velaro|
|Number under construction||CRH380B: 40 trainsets (320 cars)
CRH380BL: 100 trainsets (1600 cars)
CRH380CL: 25 trainsets (400 cars)
|Number built||CRH3C: 80 trainsets (640 cars)
CRH380B: 10 trainsets (80 cars)
CRH380BL: 70 trainsets (1120 cars)
CRH380CL: 1 trainset (16 cars)
|Formation||CRH3A, CRH3C, CRH380B: 8 cars/trainset (4M4T)
CRH380BL, CRH380CL: 16 cars/trainset (8M8T)
|Operator(s)||Chinese Ministry of Railways
- Beijing Railway Bureau
- Guangzhou Railway Group
|Line(s) served||Beijing-Tianjin high-speed rail
Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link
|Train length||CRH3A, CRH3C, CRH380B: 200 m (656 ft 2 in)
CRH380BL: 399.27 m (1,309 ft 11 1⁄4 in)
|Width||3,265 mm (10 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Height||3,890 mm (12 ft 9 1⁄8 in)|
|Platform height||1,250 mm (4 ft 1 in)|
|Maximum speed||CRH3A: 160 km/h (99 mph) to 250 km/h (155 mph)
CRH3C: 350 km/h (217 mph)
CRH380B, CRH380BL, CRH380CL: 380 km/h (236 mph)
|Weight||CRH3C: 447 t (440 long tons; 493 short tons)
CRH380BL: 980 t (960 long tons; 1,080 short tons)
|Traction system||Siemens or Hitachi IGBT VVVF inverter control|
|Power output||CRH3A: 5.12 MW (6,870 hp)
CRH3C: 8.8 MW (11,800 hp)
CRH380B: 9.2 MW (12,300 hp)
CRH380BL: 18.4 MW (24,700 hp)
CRH380CL: 19.2 MW (25,700 hp)
|Electric system(s)||25 kV 50 Hz ACOverhead line|
|Current collection method||Pantograph|
|Braking system(s)||Regenerative, electronically controlled pneumatic brakes|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The CRH3 is a version of the Siemens Velaro high-speed train used in China on the Beijing–Tianjin Intercity Railway line, Wuhan-Guangzhou Passenger Dedicated Line, Zhengzhou-Xi'an Passenger Dedicated Line and the Shanghai–Nanjing Intercity Railway. It is capable of service speed of 380 km/h (236 mph) as the very similar Velaro E used in Spain, but, similarly to the Sapsan, it is 300 mm (11.8 in) wider to take advantage of a more generous structure gauge and thus be able to fit in more seats in a 2+3 layout.
The first three trains were built in Germany by Siemens, and these imported trains were labelled CRH3A (CRH3-002A, CRH3-003A and CRH3-004A). These trains are based on the German Deutsche Bahn's ICE 3 high-speed trains and were given initial designations of CRH3A. Of these German trains, the first one was shipped from Bremerhaven on 19 December 2007.
On 30 November 2012, the CNR announced new design of CRH3A, with three styles that can operate at top speed of 160 km/h, 200 km/h and 250 km/h. The first train was rolled out on June 3, 2013.
After December 2008, the three imported CRH3A were repainted and renamed to CRH3C (CRH3-002C, CRH3-003C and CRH3-004C). The rest of the trains are now being built by Tangshan Railway Vehicle with some components from Germany.
The first Chinese-built CRH3 (CRH3-001C) was unveiled on 11 April 2008.
The 8-car CRH3C trains are similar to the Velaro E design in Spain, but 300 mm (11.8 in) wider to fit more seats in a 2+3 layout; a 200 m (656 ft) CRH3 train will seat 548 passengers: 16 deluxe-class (8 sold publicly), 50 in first-class, 490 in second-class.
Each train sets consists of four motor cars and four trailer cars, equipped with two driving units, and each of them is in charge of the driving of two motor cars and two trailer cars.
The bogies are improved versions of the SF500 bogie. Innovations include the body bolster, vibration damper, spring parameters, transmission ratio, widening the carbody and increasing the speed of the trainsets.
The trains are designed for running at 350 km/h (217 mph). On 24 June 2008, CRH3-001C reached a top speed of 394.3 km/h (245.0 mph) during a test on the Beijing to Tianjin high speed line.
On 9 December 2009, a pair of CRH3 EMUs (CRH3-013C + CRH3-017C) reached a top speed of 394.2 km/h (245 mph) during a test on the Zhengzhou to Xi'an high speed line, setting a world record for double-link EMUs.
On 28 September 2009, an additional 20 CRH3C sets was ordered by the Chinese MOR.
In March 2009, a new contract was signed with China Northern Railways (CNR) to supply 100 16-car trainsets for 39.2B RMB with delivery from October 2010 onwards. This order for a total of 1600 railway cars is greater than the total production of all Velaro and ICE trains that have ever been manufactured in the past. It is planned that the trains will be produced by CNR subsidiaries, Tangshan Railway Vehicles and Changchun Railway Vehicles, using technology from the previous technology transfer agreement. In this contract, Siemens acts as a component supplier, with 85% of the content actually made by the company. An additional order for 40 16-car sets and 40 8-car sets was made on 28 September 2009 for 25.32B RMB.
Top travel speed for this variant is 380 km/h (236 mph), though it is capable of attaining even higher speeds. These trains have been designated as CRH380B (8-car set) and CRH380BL (16-car set) in September 2010. The first CRH380BL set with series number CRH380B-6401L rolled off the production line and was unveiled to the public in September 2010. it was manufactured by Tangshan Railway Vehicle. On October 2010, the 16-car train was sent to Beijing loop line for test. On November 2010, the train was sent to Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway for trial run. The trainset reached the maximum speed of 457 km/h (284 mph) on 5 December 2010. More recently, during a subsequent test on 10 January 2011, a CRH380BL set reached a new record speed of 487.3 km/h (302.8 mph), breaking the previous record held by the CRH380A.
Since 13 January 2011, the CRH380BL enter regular service at the Shanghai–Hangzhou High-Speed Railway and Shanghai–Nanjing High-Speed Railway.
All 54 CRH380BL trainsets were recalled in mid-August 2011 due to operational problems on the new Beijing–Shanghai High-Speed Railway. The new trains were reported as being "too sensitive" and the subject of frequent breakdowns in stormy weather. They will be temporarily replaced by the CRH380A and CRH380AL.
As of December 2011, the recalled trainsets have returned to service.
Changchun Railway Vehicle released a redesigned nose fitted onto a CRH380B body at the Modern Railways 2010 on 6 December 2010. The new design will be designated the CRH380CL, with the Bombardier Zefiro redesignated the CRH380D, and will incorporate electrical equipment from Hitachi. 25 16-car trainsets have been ordered by the MOR, replacing 25 previously ordered CRH380BL units. The first trainset was delivered underwent testing starting in 2011. The trains entered regular service in the Spring of 2013.
- M – Motor car
- T – Trailer car
- C – Driver cabin
- P – Pantograph
- SW – Business Class Coach
- ZY – First Class Coach
- ZE – Second Class Coach
- CA – Dining Car
- ZEC – Second Class Coach／Bistro Car
- ZES – Second Class／Business Coach
- ZYS – First Class／Business Coach
- ZYG – First Class Coach／Sightseeing Car
- ZET – Second Class Coach／Premier Coach
- ZYT – First Class Coach／Premier Coach
|Power Units||Unit 1||Unit 2|
- Train No. CRH3C-3001 to CRH3C-3080
|Power Units||Unit 1||Unit 2|
- Train No. CRH380B-3571 to CRH380B-3700, and CRH380B-5637 to CRH380B-5681
|Power Units||Unit 1||Unit 2|
|Capacity 2 (EC Type)||28+5||85||85||75||63||85||85||40+5|
- ^1 Train No. CRH380B-5546 to CRH380B-5585
- ^2 Train No. CRH380B-5586 to CRH380B-5600, CRH380B-5626 to CRH380B-5636, and CRH380B-5682 to CRH380B-5800
|Power Units||Unit 1||Unit 2||Unit 3||Unit 4|
- ^1 Train No. CRH380BL-3501 to CRH380BL-3543, and CRH380BL-5501 to CRH380BL-5545
- ^2 Train No. CRH380BL-3544 to CRH380BL-3570
|Power Units||Unit 1||Unit 2||Unit 3||Unit 4|
Train series number
CRH3C made by Siemens: CRH3C-3002 ～ CRH3C-3004.
CRH3C made by CNR Tangshan Railway Vehicles:CRH3C-3001, CRH3C-3005 ～ CRH3C-3080.
CRH380B made by CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles: CRH380B-5637 ～ CRH380B-5681.
CRH380B made by CNR Tangshan Railway Vehicles: CRH380B-3571 ～ CRH380B-3700.
CRH380BG made by CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles: CRH380BG-5546 ～ CRH380BG-5585.
CRH380BG (EC Type) made by CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles: CRH380BG-5586 ～ CRH380BG-5600, CRH380BG-5626 ～ CRH380BG-5636 and CRH380BG-5682 ～ CRH380BG-5772.
CRH380BL made by CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles: CRH380BL-5501 ～ CRH380BL-5545.
CRH380BL made by CNR Tangshan Railway Vehicles: CRH380BL-3501 ～ CRH380BL-3570.
CRH380CL made by CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles: CRH380CL-5601 ～ CRH380CL-5625.
As of June 2015
|Operator||Quantity||Series number||Lines serving||Note|
|Beijing Railway Bureau||20||CRH3C-3001 ～ CRH3C-3016、
CRH3C-3018 ～ CRH3C-3021
|Guangzhou Railway Group Co.,Ltd||60||CRH3C-3017、CRH3C-3022 ～ CRH3C-3080||Jingguangshengang High-Speed Railway、Guangzhou–Shenzhen–Hong Kong Express Rail Link、Hangzhou–Fuzhou–Shenzhen High-Speed Railway、Liu Heng Railway、Guiyang–Guangzhou High-Speed Railway、Hang Long Passenger Line、Long-Kunming passenger line|
|Shenyang Railway Bureau||5||CRH380B-6246~CRH380B-6250||Testing|
|Harbin Railway Bureau||35||CRH380B-6251~CRH380B-6285||Testing|
|Shanghai Railway Bureau||29||CRH380B-6225L~CRH380B-6230L, CRH380B-6401L~CRH380B-6423L||Huning PDL、Huhang PDL|
|Beijing Railway Bureau||11||CRH380B-6202L, CRH380B-6206L~CRH380B-6207L, CRH380B-6210L, CRH380B-6211L, CRH380B-6215L~CRH380B-6218L, CRH380B-6222L~CRH380B-6224L||Beijing–Shanghai High-Speed Railway|
|Jinan Railway Bureau||26||CRH380B-6201L, CRH380B-6203L~CRH380B-6205L, CRH380B-6208L~CRH380B-6209L, CRH380B-6212L~CRH380B-6214L, CRH380B-6219L~CRH380B-6221L, CRH380B-6245L||Beijing–Shanghai High-Speed Railway|
|Guangzhou Railway Bureau||29||CRH380B-6429L~CRH380B-6457L||Wuhan–Guangzhou High-Speed Railway|
|Beijing Railway Bureau||8||CRH380CL-5601、 CRH380CL-5603、
CRH380CL-5605 ~ CRH380CL-5608、 CRH380CL-5620、 CRH380CL-5621
|Jinghu High-Speed Railway、Qingdao–Jinan High-Speed Railway|
|Shanghai Railway Bureau||9||CRH380CL-5602、 CRH380CL-5604、
CRH380CL-5611 ~ CRH380CL-5613、 CRH380CL-5615、 CRH380CL-5619、
|Ninghang Intercity Raiway、Huhang PDL、Hang-Yong PDL、Huning PDL、Qingdao–Jinan High-Speed Railway|
|Jinan Railway Bureau||8||CRH380CL-5609、 CRH380CL-5610、 CRH380CL-5614、
CRH380CL-5616 ~ CRH380CL-5618、 CRH380CL-5622、 CRH380CL-5625
|Jinghu High-Speed Railway、Ninghang Intercity Raiway、Huhang PDL、Hang-Yong PDL、Qingdao–Jinan High-Speed Railway|
- China Railways CRH1
- China Railways CRH2
- China Railways CRH5
- China Railways CRH380A
- China Railways CRH6
- China Railways CIT Trains
- ICE 3
- Siemens Velaro
- Bombardier Zefiro
- List of high speed trains
- "China's first 300 km/h trainsets are taking shape". Railway Gazette International. 2007-08-01. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- "Hochgeschwindigkeits-Triebzug Velaro CN, China" (in German). Siemens AG. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- "Erneuter Erfolg für die Hochgeschwindigkeitszüge von Siemens Siemens liefert mit chinesischen Partnern weitere 100 Züge für China" (in German). pressrelations.de. 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- "Siemens Transportation Systems Group opens its high-speed train project office in Tangshan". Siemens AG. 2006-07-27. Archived from the original on 16 June 2009. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- "China's first high speed train ready for shipment". Siemens AG. 2007-12-29. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- "Tangshan rolls out its first 350 km/h train". Railway Gazette International. 2008-04-11. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- "Products:EMU". www.tangche.com (in Chinese).
- "Velaro sets Chinese speed record". Railway Gazette International. 2008-06-27. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- "铁道部部长在高速列车上的"记者招待会". www.china-mor.gov.cn. 2009-12-09. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- 招商证券-中国北车-601299-动车组第三批高毛利率订单将陆续交付. www.docin.com (in Chinese).
- "Meet The Train Makers, Part 6: China". www.infrastructurist.com. 20 November 2009.
- 长客签下235亿订单. jlrbszb.chinajilin.com.cn (in Chinese). 28 September 2009.
- "The World Railway Development and Research Society annual meeting 2009 was held in Beijing" (in Chinese). worldtrailway.cn. 2009-12-09. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- "时速超400公里的是CRH2型的380级别的动车吗-城际高铁-地铁族". Ditiezu.com. Retrieved 2013-04-06.
- "下线仪式CRH380B-6401L rolled off production line". YouTube. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2013-04-06.
- "千龙网-北京-时速500公里试验列车正在研制(图)". Beijing.qianlong.com. 2010-12-07. Retrieved 2013-04-06.
- "中国北车刷新高铁运营试验世界纪录速度(图)-搜狐证券". Stock.sohu.com. Retrieved 2013-04-06.
- "1月13日起"飞毛腿"动车将在宁杭间开跑_新闻中心_新浪网". News.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2013-04-06.
- "CRH380CL, China High Speed train中國高鐵". YouTube. 2011-05-24. Retrieved 2013-04-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to China Railways CRH3.|