Two cloud-based integration service models are iPaaS (Integration Platform as a Service) and dPaaS (Data Platform as a Service):
- iPaaS is a suite of cloud services enabling customers to develop, execute and govern integration flows. Under the cloud-based iPaaS integration model, customers drive the development and deployment of integrations without installing or managing any hardware or middleware. The Ipaas allow small businesses to achieve integration without a big investment in skills or licensed middleware software.
- dPaaS delivers cloud-based integration as a fully managed service. Under the dPaaS model, the cloud platform provider, not the customer, manages the development and execution of integrations. dPaaS users retain transparency and control over data through data visualization tools.
Prior to the emergence of cloud computing, integration could be categorized as either internal or business to business (B2B). Internal integration requirements were serviced through an on-premises middleware platform and typically utilized a service bus to manage exchange of data between systems. B2B integration was serviced through EDI gateways or value-added network (VAN). The advent of SaaS applications created a new kind of demand which was met through cloud-based integration. Since their emergence, many such services have also developed the capability to integrate legacy or on-premises applications, as well as function as EDI gateways.
While the features regarded as essential in order to classify a cloud-based integration service as such are debated, the following are commonly accepted:
- Deployed on a multi-tenant, elastic cloud infrastructure
- Subscription model pricing (opex, not capex)
- No software development (required connectors should already be available)
- Users do not perform deployment or manage the platform itself
- Presence of integration management & monitoring features
- Gartner; Massimo Pezzini; Paolo Malinverno; Eric Thoo. "Gartner Reference Model for Integration PaaS". Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Gartner. "Gartner IT Glossary". Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Loraine Lawson. "IT Business Edge". Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Enterprise CIO Forum; Gabriel Lowy. "The Value of Data Platform-as-a-Service (dPaaS)". Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Stefan Reid. "B2B meets cloud based integration (CBI)". Retrieved 19 January 2013.