|Founder||Alex Freedland, Boris Renski|
|Adrian Ionel (CEO)|
|Products||Mirantis OpenStack, Fuel, Mirantis Cloud Platform, Mirantis Application Platform|
Mirantis Inc. is a Campbell, California, based B2B cloud computing services company. It focuses on the development and support of OpenStack. The company was founded in 1999 by Alex Freedland and Boris Renski. It was one of the founding members of the OpenStack Foundation, a non-profit corporate entity established in September 2012 to promote OpenStack software and its community.
Mirantis, OpenStack and Kubernetes
OpenStack is an open source software platform for cloud computing infrastructures, coordinated by the OpenStack Foundation to promote the "development, distribution and adoption of the OpenStack cloud software." Mirantis has been a top contributor to the OpenStack project. Mirantis works with clients to build out open private, public, and service-provider cloud solutions based on OpenStack, using open source tools to integrate the computing, network and storage capabilities which define an OpenStack infrastructure. The Wall Street Journal characterizes OpenStack as providing "a kind of dashboard to help manage large numbers of servers, storage and networking devices like they were a single resource. Mirantis sells a commercial version and helps customers develop and install the software."
In two rounds of fund-raising in January and June 2013, Mirantis raised $10 million in funding from Dell Ventures, Intel Capital and WestSummit Capital, and a further $10 million from Red Hat, Ericsson and SAP Ventures. In October 2014, Mirantis raised $100 million in a Series B financing round led by Insight Venture Partners, and joined by existing investors Intel Capital, WestSummit Capital, Telefonaktiebolaget L.M. Ericsson and Sapphire Ventures. In August 2015, Intel led an additional $100 million funding round with new investor Goldman Sachs and existing investors August Capital, Insight Venture Partners, Ericsson, Sapphire Ventures (formerly SAP Ventures) and WestSummit Capital.
Mirantis announced its own OpenStack distribution in October 2013, in competition with distributions from Red Hat, Hewlett-Packard and others. The Mirantis OpenStack distribution works with various operating systems, including Red Hat, CentOS, and Ubuntu Linux.
Other delivery form-factors for Mirantis OpenStack include the Mirantis NFV Reference Platform, a reference architecture for Mirantis OpenStack designed to efficiently host, orchestrate and scale virtualized network functions in ways compatible with the ETSI-NFV specification.
Mirantis Unlocked Appliances, first offered in July 2015, were turn-key, scalable modular racks, with Mirantis OpenStack pre-installed and pre-tested on select hardware in reference configurations optimized for different workload types, sold and supported in collaboration with Mirantis Certified Rack Partners. The first Unlocked Appliance, for Cloud Native Apps, incorporated hardware and software from Dell, Juniper and Intel.
By early 2017, Mirantis changed its focus to offer managed solutions based on a number of open source infrastructure platforms, including OpenStack.
Mirantis debuted its first Kubernetes-related offering in December 2016, when it introduced vendor-agnostic training and certification for the Kubernetes and Docker container platforms. The company released Mirantis Cloud Platform, which combines OpenStack with Kubernetes and follows a build-operate-transfer delivery model in April 2017. Mirantis Cloud Platform utilizes a continuous integration / continuous delivery toolchain, known as DriveTrain, to perform continuous incremental updates and eliminate the need for major upgrades of the platform.
Mirantis announced Mirantis Cloud Platform Containers-as-a-Service, which enables users to provision Kubernetes clusters across multiple clouds on private infrastructure and/or public clouds including Amazon Web Services, in September 2017. With the addition of Containers-as-a-Service, Mirantis Cloud Platform supports hybrid clouds, with DriveTrain providing “consistent tooling for managing the lifecycle of OpenStack, Kubernetes on-premises and on AWS." As Mirantis continues to shift from an exclusive OpenStack focus to the continuous integration and continuous delivery of Kubernetes and other combinations of open source cloud software, this tooling forms the basis of the company’s vision of a “cloud-native continuous delivery” platform for multi-cloud solutions.
Mirantis launched Mirantis Application Platform, a continuous delivery platform for Kubernetes, in April 2018.
OpenStack, Kubernetes and other community involvement
Mirantis founders, Alex Freedland (CEO) and Boris Renski (CMO) have served on the OpenStack Foundation Board and Boris Renski was most recently re-elected in January 2018. Mirantis has been a major contributor of code to OpenStack, ranking as the #3 contributor of all time by both commits and lines of code.
Mirantis contributes to many core OpenStack projects and during the Mitaka and Newton releases, when Mirantis ranked as the #1 contributor by lines of code, the company led projects in OpenStack core and Big Tent, including:
- Fuel, an OpenStack project under Big Tent, is a toolkit for deploying and managing OpenStack clouds. Fuel allows deployment, configuration, and validation of infrastructure features through a graphical interface; it allows users to choose which OpenStack components to run.
- Project Murano, an OpenStack application catalog project developed by Mirantis and other members of the OpenStack community. Murano attempts to address the challenge of installing third party services and applications in a dynamic OpenStack environment by offering a catalog of applications fully defined for automated deployment.
- Sahara, an OpenStack project that simplifies creation of Hadoop clusters, originated by the Apache Software Foundation and OpenStack Foundation members, is contributed to by Mirantis in collaboration with Red Hat and Hortonworks.
- Rally, an OpenStack project that benchmarks performance of OpenStack clouds, is contributed to by Mirantis.
Mirantis was the largest code-contributor to OpenStack Newton by lines of code, with 32% of all lines of code recorded.
By 2016, Mirantis started becoming a significant contributor of code to other open infrastructure-related projects as well, including Kubernetes, Ceph, OpenContrail, Prometheus, and OPNFV.
- Brendan Maynard, "Russian former outsourcing Mirantis Announces $10 Million Series A Round" Goal Europe, June 24, 2013
- "OpenStack Foundation Mission". Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Carol Barrett, Kathy Cacciatore, Amar Kapadia, et al, “OpenStack: A Business Perspective.” OpenStack Foundation. September 5, 2016
- "Activity by Companies" OpenStack.org retrieved October 21, 2014
- Alex Williams, "Mirantis Raises $10M For OpenStack Services Push For Cloud-Bound Businesses" TechCrunch, January 10, 2013
- Alex Williams, "OpenStack Cloud Builder Mirantis Raises $10M In Second A Round From Red Hat, Ericsson And SAP Ventures" TechCrunch, June 6, 2013
- Spencer E. Ante, "Ericsson-Mirantis Deal a Milestone for OpenStack Software" Wall Street Journal (Digits Blog), April 2, 104
- Darryl K. Taft, "Mirantis Gets $10M in Funding to Boost OpenStack Cloud Push" eWeek January 11, 2013
- Alex Williams, "OpenStack Cloud Builder Mirantis Raises $10M In Second A Round From Red Hat, Ericsson And SAP" TechCrunch June 6, 2013
- Jack Clark, "Mirantis Gets Funding, Aims for IPO With OpenStack Tools" Bloomberg
- Ben Kepes (October 20, 2014). "Way To Gain A Headline--Mirantis Scores Biggest Ever Open Source Series B Funding". Forbes. Archived from the original on December 3, 2014. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- Barb Darrow, "Mirantis scores another $100 million from Goldman Sachs, Intel and others" Forbes August 24, 2015
- Kat Hall (August 24, 2015). "Open sourcerer Mirantis taps up Intel for $100m worth of funding". The Register. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- Sean Michael Kerner, "Mirantis Fuels New OpenStack Cloud Distribution" eWeek, 21 October 2013
- Kevin McLaughlin, "Mirantis Takes On Red Hat, Canonical And HP With Its Own OpenStack Distribution" CRN, 21 October 2013
- Bill Boyle, "Mirantis Takes Partners to Promote NFV" Data Center Dynamics, September 18, 2015
- Stephen J. Vaughan-Nichols, "Mirantis Introduces Cloud-on-a-Rack OpenStack Appliances" ZDNet July 8, 2015
- Kepes, Ben (March 13, 2017). "Mirantis shifts again, will offer managed solutions based on open-source technologies". Network World.
- Kepes, Ben (December 6, 2016). "Mirantis moves deeper into the container world, launches certification". Network World.
- Vaughan-Nichols, Steven (April 21, 2017). "Mirantis enters the Kubernetes game and ups its OpenStack play". ZDNet.
- Lyons Hardcastle, Jessica (April 21, 2017). "Mirantis Cloud Platform Combines OpenStack and Kubernetes Container Management". SDX Central.
- Armstrong, Adam (September 26, 2017). "Mirantis Launches Multi-Cloud CaaS with AWS Support". Storage Review.
- Tsidulko, Joseph (September 26, 2017). "Pioneering OpenStack Developer Mirantis is Ready to Work with AWS". CRN.
- Lardinois, Frederic (January 25, 2018). "Adrian Ionel returns to CEO role at Mirantis as the company continues to expand beyond OpenStack". TechCrunch.
- Sharwood, Simon (November 8, 2017). "Mirantis eyes continuous integration of all the things". The Register.
- Lardinois, Frederic (April 17, 2018). "Mirantis bets on Spinnaker, Netflix's open-source continuous delivery platform". TechCrunch.
- "OpenStack: Board of Directors"
- "OpenStack: 2016 Board Election"
- "OpenStack Foundation Board of Directors".
- "Stackalytics contribution by companies - lines of code".
- "Stackalytics contribution by company - commits".
- Jack Clark, "Mirantis: Hey guys, here's an idea - we're putting 'open' in OpenStack" The Register October 21, 2013
- OpenStack Public Fuel Repository, github.com
- Sean Michael Kerner, "Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent", ServerWatch, November 20, 2015
- Ian Murphy, "Mirantis keeps cool with Icehouse" BusinessCloud June 9, 2014
- Chris Talbot, "IBM and Mirantis Launch OpenStack Benchmarking Tool" Talkin' Cloud, December 6, 2013
- Marshall, David (March 1, 2016). "VMblog's Expert Interviews: Kamesh Pemmaraju Talks about Mirantis OpenStack (MOS) Distribution Version 8.0". VMblog.
- "CNCF Bitergia analytics dashboard - Kubernetes, Prometheus".
- Dean, Sam (February 1, 2017). "OpenContrail: An Essential Tool in the OpenStack Ecosystem". Linux.com.
- "Bitergia Standard Grimoire Report OPNFV Project 2017-Q3". December 27, 2017.
- Matsumoto, Craig (September 15, 2016). "Mirantis' Kubernetes Plan Advances with TCP Cloud". SDX Central.
- "OpenContrail - Project Contributors". Retrieved February 12, 2018.