DLA Piper New Zealand
DLA Piper New Zealand
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Auckland, New Zealand|
|No. of offices||2|
|No. of attorneys||Approximately 100|
|No. of employees||150+ in New Zealand, 8,000 globally|
|Major practice areas||Asia, Banking & Finance, Corporate, Employment, Environment & Resource Management, Financial Services, Insurance, Intellectual Property & Technology, Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Maritime, Property & Real Estate, Public and Tax|
|Key people||Martin Wiseman (Chairman)|
|Founder||P. D. Phillips|
|Company type||General partnership|
DLA Piper New Zealand is the first global, business law firm operating in New Zealand. DLA Piper have lawyers in the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe, Africa and the Middle East. With offices in Auckland and Wellington, DLA Piper New Zealand provides counsel to a range of private and public companies, central and local government entities, charities and other organisations.
Sectors and Services
- Banking & Finance
- Environment and Natural Resources
- FMCG and Retail Distribution
- Healthcare and Life Sciences
- Hospitality and Leisure
- Local and Central Government
- Primary Industries
- Environment and Resource Management
- Financial Services
- Insurance Law
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Maritime Law
- Property and Real Estate
- Public Law
DLA Piper New Zealand traces its history back more than 140 years to when the firm was known as PD Phillips and operated only in the state of Victoria, Australia. Since then, the firm grew to become one of the largest in Australasia, and has now gone on to integrate with global law firm, DLA Piper.
- 1864 PD Phillips established a practice in Melbourne.
- 1884 Phillips Nicholson established in New Zealand.
- 1885 Smithers Warren Davenport Mant established in Sydney.
- 1888 Ross & McCarthy established in Adelaide.
- 1920s Seymour Nulty established in Brisbane.
- 1983 Lavan Solomon established in Perth.
- 1985 Phillips Fox & Masel, (previously known as PD Phillips), Smithers Warren Davenport Mant and Lavan Solomon form an association and agree to practise as a federation under the name Phillips Fox.
- 1990 Canberra office opens.
- 1991 Seymour Nulty in Brisbane joins Phillips Fox.
- 1992 Phillips Nicholson in New Zealand joins Phillips Fox, creating the first trans-Tasman law firm. Ross & McCarthy in Adelaide joins Phillips Fox.
- 1993 Hanoi office opens and the firm is the first in the world to be granted a licence to practise in Vietnam.
Darvall McCutcheon merges with Phillips Fox in Melbourne. Darvall McCutcheon was itself the result of a merger in 1982 of Darvall & Hambleton and W B & O McCutcheon which had their origins in 1864 and 1888 respectively.
- 1997 Ho Chi Minh City office opens in Vietnam.
- 1999 Phillips Fox moves from being a federated group of offices to a fully integrated, corporately managed legal firm.
- 2006 On 20 November, Phillips Fox enters into an exclusive alliance with DLA Piper, one of the largest legal services organisations in the world, and becomes a member of the global DLA Piper Group under the name DLA Phillips Fox.
- 2011 On 1 May, DLA Phillips Fox (Australia) integrates with DLA Piper to become DLA Piper Australia. DLA Phillips Fox New Zealand remains an independent law firm closely allied to DLA Piper.
- 2015 On 2 March, DLA Phillips Fox (New Zealand) integrates with DLA Piper  to become DLA Piper New Zealand.
- "DLA Piper becomes first global business law firm in New Zealand | DLA Piper". www.dlapiper.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- "DLA Piper Global".
- "Contact Us | DLA Piper". www.dlapiper.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- "About us | DLA Piper". www.dlapiper.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- "Sectors | DLA Piper". www.dlapiper.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-10-21.
- "Services | DLA Piper". www.dlapiper.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-10-21.
- "Phillips Fox Global Alliance Official". Practice Source. Retrieved 2015-10-21.
- "DLA Piper and DLA Phillips Fox to fully integrate". www.lawyersweekly.com.au. Retrieved 2015-10-21.
- "Phillips Fox merges with DLA Piper | Scoop News". www.scoop.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-10-21.
- "Global firm makes New Zealand debut". NZ Lawyer. Retrieved 2015-10-21.
- "DLA Piper New Zealand".
- Official site
- DLA Phillips Fox and DLA Piper named International Tax Firm of the Year
- Lawyers Weekly article on the DLA alliance
- Article about a recent global survey into capital markets released by DLA Phillips Fox
- Lawyers Weekly article on new chairperson
- The Australian article about a young female making partner at DLA Phillips Fox