Devil's Hole State Park
|Devil's Hole State Park|
|Location||Robert Moses Parkway
Niagara Falls, New York
|Nearest city||Niagara Falls, New York|
|Area||42 acres (17 ha)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||136,118 (in 2014)|
|Website||Devil's Hole State Park|
Devil's Hole State Park occupies a location that was historically an important portage used by Native Americans to transport canoes around Niagara Falls and rapids on the Niagara River. It was the location of an early battle between European settlers and Native Americans over control of the portage route.
Devil's Hole State Park is a 42-acre (17 ha) day-use park that allows fishing, hiking, picnic tables, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing. A popular trail descends into the Niagara River Gorge to allow close access to the rapids below, however off-trail hiking is prohibited due to dangerous conditions.
- "Devil's Hole State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 671. Retrieved February 4, 2016.
- Natural Heritage Trust; New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation; New York State Council of Parks & Recreation (1975). Fifty Years: New York State Parks, 1924-1974. Natural Heritage Trust. p. 21.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "Devils Hole State Park". Niagara Falls National Heritage Area, National Park Service. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- Morse, Katie (July 8, 2015). "Man falls while walking off trail at Devil's Hole". WKBW. Scripps Media, Inc. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "Whirlpool State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
|This article about a location in Niagara County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|