Whetstone Gulf State Park
|Whetstone Gulf State Park|
Whetstone Creek in Whetstone Gulf State Park, September 2011.
Location of Whetstone Gulf State Park within New York State
|Location||6065 West Road
Lowville, New York
|Nearest city||Watertown, New York|
|Area||2,100 acres (8.5 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||118,577 (in 2014)|
|Website||Whetstone Gulf State Park|
Whetstone Gulf State Park is a 2,100-acre (8.5 km2) state park located in Lewis County, New York. The park is on the edge of the Tug Hill Plateau, south of Lowville, on the border of the towns of Turin and Martinsburg. The east end of the park is located near New York State Route 26.
The park is built in and around a three-mile-long (4.8 km), 380-foot-deep (120 m) gorge cut into the eastern edge of the Tug Hill Plateau. Above the gorge is Whetstone Reservoir, stocked with tiger muskie and largemouth bass for fishermen.
The park offers 62 campsites, 20 of which include electric hookups. Areas for fishing, a picnic area along Whetstone Creek, a man-made swimming area, and a playground are also available. Trails for hiking and cross-country skiing are found throughout the park, including a six-mile (9.7 km) loop around the rim of the gorge.
- "Whetstone Gulf State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 674. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- State Park Acquisition Record and Document Review (PDF) (Report). NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. May 10, 2010. p. 19. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- Starmer, Catharine; Starmer, Aaron; Starmer, Timothy (2013). Best Tent Camping, New York State: Your Car-Camping Guide to Scenic Beauty, the Sounds of Nature, and an Escape from Civilization (2nd ed.). pp. 77–79. ISBN 0897327160. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- Ostertag, Rhonda; Ostertag, George (2002). Hiking New York. Guilford, Conn.: Falcon Guides. pp. 84–87. ISBN 0762722428. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
|This article about a location in Lewis County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|