Wonder Lake State Park
|Wonder Lake State Park|
Wonder Lake in Patterson, New York
|Location||1498 Route 301
Carmel, New York
|Nearest city||Carmel, New York|
|Area||1,133 acres (4.59 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Website||Wonder Lake State Park|
Thirty-acre (0.12 km2) Wonder Lake was constructed in the 1930s as part of a series of improvements to the property by A.L. Cushman, who owned a chain of bakeries in New York City. The smaller Laurel Pond, thirty acres (0.12 km2) in size, was also formed after construction of a dam during the same time period.
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation acquired the 794-acre (3.21 km2) Wonder Lake property in November 1998 using Clean Water/Clean Air Bond Act funds. The park was expanded by the purchase of 106 acres (0.4 km2) of open space in February 2006 and was further expanded in 2010, bringing the park to its current size. Prior to the 106-acre (0.43 km2) purchase, the tract was surrounded by private property with no public access.
As of 2013, Wonder Lake State Park contained 8.7 miles (14 km) of trails, including the Highlands Trail, which passes Laurel Pond and encircles Wonder Lake. Four other trails cover much of the northern, central and western areas of the park.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Wonder Lake State Park - Getting There". Parks.ny.gov. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Wonder Lake State Park History". Parks.ny.gov. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- "Wonder Lake State Park". NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. Archived from the original on March 25, 2010. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- "Wonder Lake State Park Expansion Announced (NY)". Trust for Public Land. February 10, 2006. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- "Wonder Lake State Park". NY-NJ Trail Conference. Retrieved April 15, 2013.
- New York State Parks: Wonder Lake State Park
- NY-NJTC: Wonder Lake State Park Details and Trail Info
- NY – NJ – CT Botany Online: Hiking Wonder Lake State Park
- Town of Patterson: State Preserves: Wonder Lake State Park