Furukawa Waterside Park in Edogawa
Location of Edogawa in Tokyo Metropolis
|• Mayor||Masami Tada (since May 1999)|
|• Total||49.90 km2 (19.27 sq mi)|
|Population (May 1, 2015)|
|• Density||13,680/km2 (35,400/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Cinnamonum camphora|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
Edogawa (江戸川区 Edogawa-ku) is a special ward located in Tokyo Metropolis, Japan. It takes its name from the Edo River that runs from north to south along the eastern edge of the ward. In English, it uses the name Edogawa City.
The easternmost of the wards, it shares boundaries with the cities of Urayasu and Ichikawa in Chiba Prefecture (to the east) and with the wards of Katsushika (to the north), Sumida and Kōtō (to the west). It meets the city of Matsudo in Chiba at a point.
Edogawa has a sister-city relationship with Gosford, New South Wales, Australia. Domestically, it has friendship ties with the cities of Azumino in Nagano Prefecture and Tsuruoka in Yamagata Prefecture.
The ward was founded in 1937 with the merger of seven towns and villages in Minami-Katsushika District: the towns of Koiwa and Komatsugawa, and the villages of Kasai, Matsue, Mizue, Shinozaki and Shikamoto.
- Seiya Ando, basketball player
- Estelle Asmodelle – Former model, belly dancer, activist. Currently, musician, abstract artist and academic. She is known as Australia's first legal transsexual.
- Keita Ono, darts player
- Akiko Hinagata, actress
- Daisuke Matsuzaka, baseball player (played for Seibu Lions and currently with the Boston Red Sox)
- Hayato Aoki, baseball player
- Ira Ishida, novelist
- Kazuhide Uekusa, economist, professor at the graduate school of University
- Kazuya Kamenashi, J-pop idol, singer, actor, television host (member of KAT-TUN)
- Kazuyoshi Nakamura, actor
- Keizō Kanie, actor
- Kenta Suga, actor
- Kreva, rapper
- Maki Goto, singer (Morning Musume)
- Norikazu Otsuka, announcer
- Romi Park, actress and voice actress
- Takamasa Suga, actor
- Takeshi Morishima, professional wrestler
- Tochinishiki Kiyotaka, 44th yokozuna in sumo
- Tomochika Tsuboi, baseball player
- Yoshiko Tamura, wrestler
- Yūsuke Koide, vocalist and guitarist for Base Ball Bear
Public elementary and junior high schools are operated by the Edogawa Board of Education.
Public high schools are operated by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Board of Education.
- Edogawa High School
- Kasai Commercial High School
- Kasai South High School
- Koiwa High School
- Komatsugawa High School
- Momijigawa High School
- Shinozaki High School
Private High Schools:
- ■ East Japan Railway Company
- ■ Chūō-Sōbu Line
- ■ Keiyō Line
- - Kasairinkai-Kōen -
- Shuto Expressway
- C2 Central Loop
- No.7 Komatsugawa Route
- B Bayshore Route
- Edogawa City
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edogawa, Tokyo.|