Garib Rath Express
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Main Operation(s)||India 2005 -|
|Parent company||Indian Railways|
The Garib Rath (literally: "Poor people's chariot") is a no-frills air-conditioned train started by the Indian Railways in 2005 to provide subsidized price air-conditioned long-distance travel to passengers who could not afford standard fares of air-conditioned class in regular-fare trains. As the fares are less than two-thirds of the fares for air-conditioned classes in other trains, the distance between each seat or berth is less, the seats and berths are narrower and each coach has more seats and berths than in air-conditioned coaches in other trains.
Only seating and three-tier (78 seats) accommodation is provided in Garib Rath. The passengers are not provided with free bedding or food. It is significantly faster and has higher priority than super-fast express trains. The maximum speed of Garib Rath trains is 130Kmph which is at par with Rajdhani's and duronto.The maiden journey of the train started from Saharsa, Bihar to Amritsar, Punjab (Saharsa Amritsar Garib Rath Express).
There are 26 Garib Rath Express train services active in India. These have a 3:1 carriage seating arrangement. . They are as follows :-
As of 24/6/2018 only Secunderabad-Visakhapatnam Garib Rath runs daily among all other garib raths.
- Indian Railways
- Humsafar Express
- Jan Shatabdi Express
- Rajdhani Express
- Shatabdi Express
- Superfast Mail/Express, a category of fast Indian trains
- "Introduction of Garib Rath trains". Government of India. Press Information Bureau. Retrieved 17 March 2006.
- "Lalu's dream project 'Garib Rath' to roll out". Retrieved 3 October 2006.
- "Lalu flags off first low-fare 'Garib Rath' train". Retrieved 4 October 2006.
- "Humsafar Express premium AC-3 tier train to replace Garib Rath on Delhi-Chennai route of Indian Railways". Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Indian Railways (29 August 2015). "Train Coach Layout". checkpnrstatusirctc.in. Retrieved 2015-08-29.