Green bean casserole
|Place of origin||United States|
|Created by||Campbell Soup Company 1955|
|Main ingredients||green beans, cream of mushroom soup, french fried onion|
Green bean casserole is a casserole consisting mostly of cooked green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and french fried onions. The recipe was created in 1955 by Dorcas Reilly at the Campbell Soup Company. It is a very popular side dish for Thanksgiving dinners in the United States. Campbell's estimated it was served in 20 million households in 2018.
History of the recipe
Dorcas Reilly (1926–2018) led the team that created the recipe while working as a Campbell's staff member in the home economics department. The inspiration for the dish was "to create a quick and easy recipe around two things most Americans always had on hand in the 1950s: green beans and Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup."
It was called "Green Bean Bake" when the recipe began being printed on soup cans. Initially the dish did not test well within the company but, in part because of Reilly's persistence, eventually earned a reputation for being "the ultimate comfort food."
Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom flavored soup variety was created circa 1934, and it had been so widely used as casserole filler in the Midwest that it was sometimes referred to as "Lutheran binder." Dorcas Reilly's recipe popularized the combination of the soup with green beans. Campbell's Soup now estimates that 40 percent of the Cream of Mushroom soup sold in the United States goes into making green bean casserole.
In the 1972 version of the Good Housekeeping Cookbook the recipe replaced the cream of mushroom soup with sour cream.
- "In Memory of the American Inventor Dorcas Reilly". Campbell Soup Company. 2018-10-19. Retrieved 2019-11-27.
- "Eating green bean casserole? This N.J. woman invented it". NJ.com. 2017-11-23. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Dorcas Reilly: The Inventor of Green Bean Casserole". Campbell Kitchen. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- Katz, Brigit. "The Woman Who Invented the Green Bean Casserole". Smithsonian. Retrieved 2019-11-27.
- Copeland, Shelby (October 24, 2018). "The woman who created the green bean casserole has died". CNN.com. Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- "The Origins of the Mysterious Green Bean Casserole". History.com. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Rujikarn, Sherry (2014-11-24). "The Evolution of the Green Bean Casserole". Good Housekeeping. Hearst Communications. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Colegrave, Stephen; P.J. Gray; Stanley Hunter (2003). Bear cookin': the original guide to bear comfort foods. Haworth. p. 48. ISBN 978-1-56023-426-5.
|Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe/module on|