Hornsby railway station
|Location||George Street, Hornsby
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||33.86 kilometres from Central via Strathfield|
|Platforms||5 (1 side, 2 island)|
|Opened||17 September 1886|
|Previous names||Hornsby Junction|
Hornsby railway station is located at the junction of the Main Northern and North Shore lines, serving the Sydney suburb of Hornsby. It is served by Sydney Trains T1 North Shore & Northern Line services and NSW TrainLink Intercity and regional services.
The station opened on 17 September 1886 as Hornsby, but was renamed Hornsby Junction on 1 November 1894. This was due to the construction of Normanhurst station to the south, which was initially named Hornsby as it was located in what was the more densely populated area of Hornsby at the time. Naming the station Hornsby Junction was an attempt to avoid confusion, but it was realised that having two Hornsby stations was still very confusing. On 1 May 1900, the suburb and station to the south was renamed Normanhurst, and Hornsby Junction reverted to Hornsby.
On 1 January 1890, Hornsby became a junction station with the opening of the North Shore line to St Leonards. In 1894, a third platform was built along with a locomotive depot to the east of the station. Hornsby was the northern extremity of the electrified network from 1930 until it was extended to Gosford in 1960. The wires did continue north of the station as far as the Hornsby Maintenance Depot.
As part of the CityRail Clearways Project, a fifth platform was constructed for use by through northbound trains. To allow for the new line, the Hornsby Signal Box was shifted 120 metres in 2007. The new platform opened on 16 March 2009, with the existing Platform 4 becoming a turnback platform for Northern line trains. The additional platform allows extra trains to run on the Northern line via the Epping to Chatswood line and improves reliability. As Hornsby is both an originating and terminating point for some services, on 10 July 2003 the communications system in a Millennium Train failed because the train's software could not compute that the origin and destination of the service had the same name.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Epping, Richmond & Emu Plains via Gordon|||
services to Berowra
evening peak services to Wyong
services to Epping, Richmond & Emu Plains via Gordon
|3||services to Penrith & Richmond via Macquarie Park & North Sydney|||
|services to Central|||
|services to Central|||
|services to Central|||
|4||terminating services from & commencing services to Penrith & Richmond via Macquarie Park & North Sydney|||
|5||services to Grafton, Casino & Brisbane|||
|services to Armidale/Moree|||
|services to Hamilton (Newcastle)|||
Hillsbus operates one route to and from Hornsby station:
Transdev NSW operates ten routes to and from Hornsby station:
- 575: to Macquarie University via Turramurra
- 587: to Westleigh
- 588: to Normanhurst West 
- 589: to Sydney Adventist Hospital
- 592: to Brooklyn & Mooney Mooney
- 594H: to Queen Victoria Building via St Ives
- 595: to Mount Colah
- 596: to Hornsby Heights
- 597: to Berowra station
- 598: Hornsby Loop via Asquith
- Hornsby Station NSWrail.net
- Hornsby Railway Station Group & Barracks NSW Environment & Heritage
- "Byways of Steam Cowan - Hornsby" Roundhouse January 1985 pages 4-24
- Massarella, Carlo. Monster Moves: Adventures in Moving the Impossible. London: Quercus Publishing. p. 180. ISBN 9780857386335. OCLC 751789641.
- Hornsby Platform 5 & Stabling Project Profile Transport Infrastructure Development Corporation
- Millennium Train Incident Reports CityRail 24 October 2007
- "T1: North Shore & Northern line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 20 October 2013 [amended February 2015].
- "Central Coast & Newcastle line timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 5 January 2015.
- "North Coast timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 20 October 2013 [Updated 6 April 2014].
- "North West timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 20 October 2013.
- "Routes M60 and 600 timetable". Hillsbus. 29 June 2015.
- "Route 575 timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 July 2015.
- "Route 587 timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 July 2015.
- "Route 588 timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 July 2015.
- "Route 589 timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 July 2015.
- "Route 592 timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 July 2015.
- "Routes 594 and 594H timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 October 2013.
- "Route 595 timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 July 2015.
- "Route 596 timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 July 2015.
- "Route 597 timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 July 2015.
- "Route 598 timetable" (PDF). Transdev NSW. 20 July 2015.
- NightRide bus services Transport Info NSW