|Member of the Bundestag|
Assumed office |
30 May 1963|
Hofheim am Taunus, Hesse, West Germany
Early life and career
From 1992 to 2001 Hardt worked for the federal office of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) and for the CDU/CSU parliamentary group in the Bundestag, including as head of the office of Peter Hintze, the CDU Secretary-General, from 1995 to 1998. From 2001 to 2009 he was a senior manager at household appliances company Vorwerk in Wuppertal.
On the national level, Hardt was federal chairman of the Association of Christian Democratic Students (RCDS) from 1987 to 1989. From 2004 to 2009 he served as member of Wuppertal's city council and chaired the council's committee on economic affairs.
Member of the Bundestag, 2009–present
Hardt was first elected to the Bundestag in the 2009 federal election, representing Solingen – Remscheid – Wuppertal II. He served on the Defense Committee and the Committee on the Affairs of the European Union between 2009 and 2015 before moving to the Committee on Foreign Affairs. He is also a member of the German delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly and of the German-Israeli Parliamentary Friendship Group. Hardt defended his seat in parliament by winning the majority of votes in his electoral district in the 2013 election.
In addition to his committee assignments, Hardt succeeded Philipp Mißfelder as Coordinator of Transatlantic Cooperation at the Federal Foreign Office in the government of Chancellor Angela Merkel in April 2014, an office he held until April 2018. Following Mißfelder’s death in 2015, he also took over as foreign policy spokesperson of the CDU/CSU parliamentary group. In the negotiations to form a coalition government under the leadership of Chancellor Angela Merkel following the 2017 federal elections, he was part of the working group on foreign policy, led by Ursula von der Leyen, Gerd Müller and Sigmar Gabriel.
- WSW Wuppertaler Stadtwerke, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Allied Museum, Member of the Advisory Board (since 2017)
- German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP), Member of the Council
- German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP), Member of the Steering Committee
- RIAS Berlin Commission, Member
- German Direct Selling Association (BDD), Member of the Board
- Direct Selling Europe (DSE), Member of the Board
- Civis mit Sonde, Member of the Advisory Board
- "Jürgen Hardt, Lebenslauf" (in German). Jürgen Hardt. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "Verteidigungsausschuss" (in German). Bundestag. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "Ausschuss für die Angelegenheiten der Europäischen Union" (in German). Bundestag. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- German MFA press release
- Gregor Mayntz (April 10, 2018), Ratinger neuer USA-Beauftragter der Regierung Rheinische Post.
- Advisory Board Allied Museum.
- Council German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP).
- Boards German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP).
- Members of the Commission RIAS Berlin Commission.
- Advisory Board Civis mit Sonde.