Janet is a hamlet in southern Alberta under the jurisdiction of Rocky View County. It is located on Township Road 240, approximately 13 km (8.1 mi) east of downtown Calgary, 5.9 km (3.7 mi) southwest of the Town of Chestermere, and 3.2 km (2.0 mi) south of Highway 1A. Janet is primarily an industrial area that is home to some transportation and logistics companies.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Janet began as a siding and flag station built by the Canadian National Railway at which a station was erected in 1912. It is believed that the Harry Whittaker family was one of Janet's first settlers. Whittaker built a house approximately 200 m (660 ft) from the crossing. The Columbia Grain Co. built an elevator in 1928 and rented it to Parrish & Heimbecker. It carried the Columbia name for many years thereafter. The precise name of Janet is unknown.
For a period of time in the mid-2000s, Janet was considered for annexation by the City of Calgary in its negotiations with Rocky View County. Although the annexation that occurred on July 31, 2007 did not include the hamlet, the annexation brought Calgary's city limits 2.5 km (1.6 mi) to the west and 0.8 km (0.50 mi) to the north of Janet. The hamlet remains within a Rocky View County industrial growth corridor, while lands north of Township Road 240 are within a joint planning area.
- "Specialized and Rural Municipalities and Their Communities" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. 2010-04-01. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Mediated Annexation Map" (PDF). City of Calgary. 2006-10-02. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- Karamitsanis, Aphrodite (1992). Place Names of Alberta – Volume II, Southern Alberta, University of Calgary Press, Calgary, Alberta. ISBN 0-919813-95-X
- Read, Tracey (1983). Acres and Empires – A History of the Municipal District of Rocky View, Calgary, Alberta.
- Rocky View County's official website
- Rocky View County's community profile on Alberta First
- Calgary-Edmonton Corridor in Alberta
|This Calgary Region location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|