Kenneth K. Lee
Kenneth K. Lee
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
Kenneth Kiyul Lee
August 30, 1975
Seoul, South Korea
|Spouse(s)||Melissa Kline Lee|
|Education||Cornell University (AB)|
Harvard Law School (JD)
Kenneth Kiyul Lee (born August 30, 1975) is a partner at Jenner & Block and United States Circuit Judge-Designate of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Early life and career
A Korean immigrant, Lee earned his Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, from Cornell University in 1997, and his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 2000. After graduating from law school, Lee served as a law clerk to Judge Emilio M. Garza of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Lee then worked as an associate at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz and was an Associate White House Counsel to George W. Bush. He also served as special counsel on the United States Senate Judiciary Committee. After leaving government service, Lee joined the Los Angeles office of the law firm Jenner & Block, where he is currently a partner. He has also served as adjunct faculty member at Pepperdine University School of Law.
Lee has litigated consumer class action lawsuits across the U.S. in the food, technology, and healthcare sectors. He has argued appeals before a number of federal circuit courts. In his pro bono practice, Lee has represented a number of indigent and incarcerated individuals. He is a member of the Food Law Committee of the Litigation Section of the California State Bar. In 2018, Lee was named one of the "Most Influential Minority Attorneys" by the Los Angeles Business Journal.
Nomination to court of appeals
On October 10, 2018, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Lee to serve as a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Both California Senators Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris announced their opposition to his nomination. If confirmed, Lee would be the third Korean American to serve on the Ninth Circuit. On November 13, 2018, his nomination was sent to the Senate. President Trump nominated Lee to the seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit vacated by Judge Stephen Reinhardt, who died on March 29, 2018.
On January 30, 2019, President Trump indicated that he would renominate Lee to a Ninth Circuit vacancy. On February 6, 2019, his nomination was sent to the Senate. On March 13, 2019, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. During the hearing, he was questioned about college writings covering AIDS, political correctness, and feminism. He apologized for the writings, saying he regretted them and was embarrassed by them. On April 4, 2019, his nomination was reported out of committee by a 12–10 party line vote. On May 14, 2019, the Senate invoked cloture on his nomination by a vote of 50–45. On May 15, 2019, the Senate confirmed his nomination by a vote of 52–45. Upon receiving his judicial commission, Lee will become the nation's first Article III judge who was born in the Republic of Korea.
- Korea Daily
- MyLife.com profile
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Eighteenth Wave of Judicial Nominees, Eighteenth Wave of United States Attorney Nominees, and Thirteenth Wave of United States Marshal Nominees". whitehouse.gov. October 10, 2018. Retrieved October 10, 2018. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- Severino, Carrie (October 10, 2018). "Who is Ken Lee?". National Review. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- "Most Influential Minority Attorneys: Kenneth K. Lee". Los Angeles Business Journal. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- Wire, Sarah D. (October 11, 2018). "California senators will try to block White House judicial nominees for the 9th Circuit - Los Angeles Times". latimes.com. Retrieved October 16, 2018.
- Tae-hee, Lee (December 11, 2018). "Korean-American judges gaining presence in US". The Korea Herald. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- "Twenty Six Nominations Sent to the Senate", White House, November 13, 2018
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Judicial Nominees". The White House. January 30, 2019. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "Twelve Nominations Sent to the Senate", The White House, February 6, 2019
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for March 13, 2019
- Levine, Marianne (March 13, 2019). "Trump judicial pick expresses regret for college writings". Politico. Retrieved March 15, 2019.
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – April 4, 2019, Senate Judiciary Committee
- Roll Call Vote 116th Congress - 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 109, United States Senate, May 14, 2019
- Roll Call Vote 116th Congress - 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 110, United States Senate, May 15, 2019
- "Senate Confirms L.A. Attorney Kenneth Kiyul Lee to Seat on Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals", United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, May 15, 2019
- Kenneth K. Lee at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit