Kiniski Gardens, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kiniski Gardens
Neighbourhood
Kiniski Gardens is located in Edmonton
Kiniski Gardens
Kiniski Gardens
Location of Kiniski Gardens in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°28′26″N 113°24′07″W / 53.474°N 113.402°W / 53.474; -113.402
Country  Canada
Province  Alberta
City Edmonton
Quadrant[1] NW
Ward[1] 12
Sector[2] Southeast
Area[3][4]
Community
Mill Woods
Burnewood
Government[5]
 • Mayor Don Iveson
 • Administrative body Edmonton City Council
 • Councillor Mohinder Banga
Area[6]
 • Total 1.96 km2 (0.76 sq mi)
Elevation 702 m (2,303 ft)
Population (2012)[7]
 • Total 6,649
 • Density 3,392.3/km2 (8,786/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12) Decrease-4%
 • Dwellings 2,215

Kiniski Gardens is a triangle-shaped residential neighbourhood in the Mill Woods area of south east Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It is part of the Burnewood area of Mill Woods, and is named for Julia Kiniski, a local reform politician of the 1960s.[8]

Development of Kiniski Gardens began in the 1970s, when roughly 7% of the residences were constructed. Construction picked up during the 1980s, when another 41% of residences were constructed. Most of the remaining construction occurred during the 1990s.[9]

The most common type of residence in the neighbourhood is the single-family dwelling, which makes up 95% of all residences. The remaining residence are a mixture of apartments in low-rise buildings (3%) and duplexes[10] (2%). The majority or residences in the neighbourhood (89%) are owner-occupied with the remainder (11%) being rented.[11]

There are two schools in the neighbourhood: the Julia Kiniski Elementary School, which is operated by the Edmonton Public School System, and the Saint Kateri Catholic Elementary School, which is operated by the Edmonton Catholic School Board.

The neighbourhood is bounded on the east by 34 Street. The north west boundary follows a utility corridor that runs between a point at the north east where 34 Street intersects Whitemud Drive to a point at the south west where the utility corridor intersects 40 Avenue. The neighbourhood is bounded on the south west by a lind connecting the point where the utility corridor intersects 40 avenue and the pont on 34 Street between 34 Avenue and 35A Avenue.

The community is represented by the Burnewood Community League, established in 1981, which maintains a community hall and outdoor rink located at 41 Street and 41 Avenue.[12][13]

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Kiniski Gardens had a population of 6,649 living in 2,215 dwellings,[7] a -4% change from its 2009 population of 6,927.[14] With a land area of 1.96 km2 (0.76 sq mi), it had a population density of 3,392.3 people/km2 in 2012.[6][7]

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

Kiniski Gardens is surrounded by several residential neighbourhoods. Larkspur and Wild Rose are located to the east, Minchau is located to the southwest, and Jackson Heights is located to the northwest.

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  3. ^ "The Way We Grow: Municipal Development Plan Bylaw 15100" (PDF). City of Edmonton. 2010-05-26. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 2, 2015. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  4. ^ "City of Edmonton Plans in Effect" (PDF). City of Edmonton. November 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 17, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  5. ^ "Mayor and City Council". City of Edmonton. Retrieved November 12, 2017. 
  6. ^ a b "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  7. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  8. ^ Merrily K. Aubrey, "Kiniski Gardens", Naming Edmonton: From Ada to Zoie (2004), p. 182.
  9. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD23/FEDERAL%202001/Neighbourhood/KINISKI%20GARDENS.pdf
  10. ^ Duplexes includes triplexes and quadruplexes.
  11. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/C05002/MUNICIPAL%202005/Neighbourhood/KINISKI%20GARDENS.pdf
  12. ^ "Burnewood Community League". Burnewood Community League. Retrieved October 7, 2017. 
  13. ^ Kuban, Ron (2005). Edmonton's Urban Villages: The Community League Movement. University of Alberta Press. ISBN 9781459303249. 
  14. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.