|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Tensai Okamura|
|Written by||Ryō Higaki|
|Music by||Hiroaki Tsutsumi|
|Original network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, BS11, SUN, KBS, TUT|
|Original run||April 7, 2016 – September 29, 2016|
Kuromukuro (クロムクロ) is a Japanese mecha anime television series produced by P.A.Works, directed by Tensai Okamura and written by Ryō Higaki, with character designs by Yuriko Ishii and music by Hiroaki Tsutsumi. The series was produced to celebrate P.A. Works' 15th anniversary. The series premiered on April 7, 2016 on Japanese TV channel AT-X while Netflix acquired exclusive rights for streaming worldwide.
450 years prior to the present, an extraterrestrial force called Efy Dolgh invades Earth; the people of Sengoku era Japan dub their mecha and robotic drones as oni. The Washiba Clan falls victim to them, but clan heir Yukihime and her samurai retainer Kennosuke Tokisada Ouma fight back with a stolen Efy Dolgh mecha, which they dub the "Black Relic" (黒骸 Kuromukuro). They succeed in vanquishing their foes, but when the Black Relic is caught in an enemy explosion, Yukihime disappears.
60 years ago, the Black Relic is unearthed during the construction of the Kurobe Dam. In the present day, the United Nations is researching it when the Efy Dolgh return. Yukina Shirahane, daughter of the UN facility director, accidentally reactivates the cockpit module of Kuromukuro, releasing Kennosuke from cryostasis. Aided by Yukina's family and the UN in adjusting to life in the 21st century, he stands against Efy Dolgh's invasion of Earth just as he did in his home era. As the Black Relic is the most effective weapon the UN has against Efy Dolgh technology, Kennosuke becomes one of their most valuable assets. Due to an accident, Yukina is biometrically synchronized with the Black Relic, and as it requires two pilots, Yukina thus becomes Ouma's combat partner.
- Yukina Shirahane (白羽 由希奈 Shirahane Yukina)
- Voiced by: Mao Ichimichi (Japanese); Cherami Leigh (English)
- Yukina is a second-year high school student of Tateyama International High School, and her mother is the head of Kurobe U.N. Research Institute. She dreams of going to Mars. Because of the disappearance of her father, she feels insecure about her future and dislikes the idea of having to fight, especially if the enemy looks human.
- Kennosuke Tokisada Ouma (青馬 剣之介 時貞 Ouma Kennosuke Tokisada)
- Voiced by: Yōhei Azakami (Japanese); Bryce Papenbrook (English)
- Kennosuke is a young man born in the Sengoku period and awoke in the present day from the "Cube", the control unit of the "Black Relic" found in the Kurobe Dam construction site. In order to protect Yukihime, he fought demons using a stolen alien robot he calls Black Relic, that only he and Yukina can pilot. He is the same age as Yukina and despite his initial confusion with the modern world, he befriends Yukina's family.
- Muetta (ムエッタ)
- Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki (Japanese); Kira Buckland (English)
- Muetta (Yukihime) is another Efy Dolgh pilot who is a clone of Yukihime, grown using her DNA aboard an Efy Dolgh ship according to Efy Dolgh's attitude to create on-site its own troops by cloning conquered foes. Her Geoframe is designated "Medusa" (メドゥーサ Medūsa) by the U.N. She is stabbed by Mirasa and barely survives. She eventually helps Kennosuke save Yukina from Efy Dolgh.
- Sophie Noel (ソフィー・ノエル Sofī Noeru)
- Voiced by: Reina Ueda (Japanese); Melissa Fahn (English)
- Sophie is a French exchange student who is an Iaido-practicing samurai-otaku and a member of France's elite forces, the GIGN. Despite her petite frame, she’s a master of judo. Sophie is a prodigy with operating robots and is even a test pilot at the UN Kurobe Laboratory.
United Nations Kurobe Research Institute
- Hiromi Shirahane (白羽 洋海 Shirahane Hiromi)
- Voiced by: Kanako Tōjō (Japanese); Anne Yatco (English)
- Yukina’s mother and the Chief Researcher at the UN Kurobe Laboratory. She was lead designer of the currently under development “GAUS (Gravity Attenuated Upright Shell)”. She’s quite the overbearing mother type, but lacking in motherly qualities.
- Tom Borden (トム・ボーデン Tomu Bōden)
- Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura (Japanese); Todd Haberkorn (English)
- The 31-year old pilot of GAUS 1 and a member of the U.S. Army. Though he has a rough personality, Tom is the combat leader of the GAUS pilots. During the counterattack against Efy Dolg he becomes the pilot of Long Arm.
- Liu Shenmei (劉 神美 Ryū Shenmii)
- Voiced by: Hikaru Ueda (Japanese); Reba Buhr (English)
- The 27-year old navigator GAUS 1. A very reserved person, Shenmei speaks little and helps to balance Tom's headstrong nature. She later becomes the pilot of GAUS 3.
- Toshiyuki Mozumi (Sebastian) (茂住 敏幸 (セバスチャン) Mozumi Toshiyuki (Sebasuchan))
- Voiced by: Taiten Kusunoki (Japanese); Tony Azzolino (English)
- The 38-year old navigator of GAUS 2. A captain in the JSDF, Sebastian is Sophie's butler. During Efy Dolg's largest assault, he sacrifices himself to try to kill Mirasa and prevent her from attack Muetta and Sophie, but despite being able to stop her the woman manages to survive. It is later revealed he also survived as well.
- Minoru Aramata (荒俣 稔 Aramata Minoru)
- Voiced by: Kōichi Makishima (Japanese); Michael McConnohie (English)
- Chief Engineer at the UN Kurobe Laboratory. He is an expert on solid state physics and geology, and was in charge of excavating the artifact.
- Arthur Graham (アーサー・グラハム Āsā Gurahamu)
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (Japanese); Jamieson Price (English)
- Commander of the defense forces at UN Kurobe Laboratory. A Major in the British Army and former member of SAS, Graham is earnest in his work and not just out for promotions.
- Rita Ferreira Mendes (リタ・フェレイラ・メンデス Rita Fereira Mendesu)
- Voiced by: Lynn (Japanese); Christine Marie Cabanos (English)
- Operator in the defense control room. Rita wears glasses and has a positive demeanor. After having been possessed by an electronic parasite, she cooperates with other controlled humans in activate the Hinge Stone; she's freed when the UN forces manage to retake the Kurobe Research Facility, but since the humans do not have the necessary technology to reverse the parasites' influence she remains in a vegetative state till 2021, when she seems return to herself much to the surprise of her friend Beth.
- Elizabeth "Beth" Butler (エリザベス・バトラー (ベス) Erisabesu Batorā (Besu))
- Voiced by: Juri Kimura (Japanese); Julie Maddalena (English)
- Operator in the defense control room. She’s big in height and heart.
- Paula Kowalczyk (ポーラ・コヴァルチック Pōra Kovaruchikku)
- Voiced by: Rina Satō (Japanese); Laura Post (English)
- A researcher in the development division at the UN Kurobe Laboratory. She has a PhD in material engineering and makes use of technology reverse-engineered from the Black Relic.
- Girolamo "Giro" Casiraghi (ジローラモ・カシラギ (ジロー) Jirōramo Kashiragi (Jirō))
- Voiced by: Hiromichi Tezuka (Japanese); Keith Silverstein (English)
- A researcher in the examination division at the UN Kurobe Laboratory. He has a PhD in electrical engineering and analyzes the Black Relic.
- Jules Hausen (ジュール・ハウゼン Jūru Hauzen)
- Voiced by: Yuya Uchida (Japanese); Dave Mallow (English)
- An expert on anatomy and biochemistry. He’s bizarrely obsessed with his research subjects.
Mt. Tate International Senior High School
- Marina Unami (宇波 茉莉奈 Unami Marina)
- Voiced by: Manami Sugihira (Japanese); Dorothy Fahn (English)
- A 23-year old counselor at Yukina’s high school. She is dedicated to the well-being of her charges.
- Naoki Takekuma (武隈 直樹 Takekuma Naoki)
- Voiced by: Hidenobu Kiuchi (Japanese); Kyle McCarley (English)
- Yukina’s homeroom teacher. Takekuma is a stick in the mud who doesn’t mince words.
- Mika Ogino (荻布 美夏 Ogino Mika)
- Voiced by: Asami Seto (Japanese); Cristina Vee (English)
- Mika is Yukina’s classmate and childhood friend. A consistently upbeat person, her hobby is cosplay.
- Jundai Kayahara (茅原 純大 Kayahara Jundai)
- Voiced by: Yūsuke Kobayashi (Japanese); Griffin Burns (English)
- Yukina’s classmate who always carrying a camera around. He often tries to get into the heart of action, disregarding his own safety.
- José Carlos Takasuka (ホセ・カルロス・高須賀 Hose Karurosu Takasuka)
- Voiced by: Shunsuke Takeuchi (Japanese); Grant George (English)
- Yukina’s classmate who dislikes the chaos brought on by the arrival of Efy Dolgh and the Black Relic. He is half Spanish and half Japanese, but he only speaks Japanese.
- Ryoto Akagi (赤城 涼斗 Akagi Ryōto)
- Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa (Japanese); Johnny Yong Bosch (English)
- A classmate of Yukina with a reputation as a delinquent. His father is head of maintenance at the UN Kurobe Laboratory.
- Takehito Shirahane (白羽 岳人 Shirahane Takehito)
- Voiced by: Tōru Ōkawa (Japanese); Doug Erholtz (English)
- Yukina’s father. He correctly deduced that the ogres of legend were in fact extraterrestrial beings, but he mysteriously disappeared 8 years ago. Zeru revealed that they became friends and vowed to work together to stop Efy Dolg, but tragically he died in a snowstorm before Zeru could help him.
- Koharu Shirahane (白羽 小春 Shirahane Koharu)
- Voiced by: Momo Asakura (Japanese); Cassandra Lee Morris (English)
- Yukina’s younger sister and a third-year in elementary school. She lives with Yukina at their uncle’s temple. Koharu likes watching historical dramas on TV and looks up to Kennosuke.
- Yakushi (薬師)
- Voiced by: Tetsuo Gotō (Japanese); Josiah Wills (English)
- Hiromi's older brother. He's a Buddhist monk and looks after his nieces while his sister is constantly at work.
Efy Dolgh (エフィドルグ Efidorugu) An extraterrestrial organization which invaded Earth 450 years ago, and in the present day, its Gezon-Reco Squad arrives to follow up on the scout force's progress. With the self-proclaimed mission of "civilizing the galaxy", Gezon-Reco Squad's members call themselves "frontier reform officers". When asked by a U.N. official if Efy Dolgh conquered, Fusnani considered it an acceptable description on the basis of reality operating on the principle of survival of the fittest, with the weak serving the strong.
- Lefil (レフィル Refiru)
- Voiced by: Atsushi Ono (Japanese); Michael McConnohie (English)
- The leader of Efy Dolgh's Gezon-Reco Squad. He's revealed to be a clone of the same species as Zell. He's stabbed and brainwashed by Zell into stopping the Kururu from activating, but informs that if the Kururu isn't stopped, a new, larger Gezon-Reco Squad will arrive.
- Mirasa (ミラーサ Mirāsa)
- Voiced by: Yuina Yamada (Japanese); Julie Ann Taylor (English)
- An ambitious Efy Dolgh soldier who prioritizes personal achievement over the welfare of her comrades and Efy Dolgh's combat principles. Her Geoframe is designated "Spider" (スパイダー Supaidā) by the U.N. She tries to kill Muetta to get the glory only for herself. During Efy Dolgh's largest assault, she tries to finish Muetta, only for Sebastian to sacrifice himself to stop her. She's killed during the counterattack by Muetta.
- Yoruba (ヨルバ)
- Voiced by: Kishō Taniyama (Japanese); Doug Erholtz (English)
- An aggressive pilot of Efy Dolgh. His Geoframe is designated Blue Bird by the U.N. He is defeated by Kennosuke in the finale battle with help from Zell and Sophie, and is taken prisoner afterward. Muetta asks for his help in defeating Efy Dolgh, but he calls her a traitor and turns her down, and it is unknown what happened to him after that.
- Imusa (イムサ)
- Voiced by: Tooru Sakurai (Japanese); Keith Silverstein (English)
- A bald-headed pilot of Efy Dolgh. His Geoframe is designated Lock Head by the U.N. During the counterattack Refil combines his Geoframe with his, but both are defeated by the teamwork of Kennosuke, Yukina, Sophie, Tom and Muetta and while Refil manages to escape, he dies in the destruction of the Geoframe.
- Fusunani (フスナーニ Fusunāni)
- Voiced by: Kōji Yusa (Japanese); Christopher Corey Smith (English)
- The second seen Efy Dolgh pilot. His Geoframe is designated "Longarm" (ロングアーム Ronguāmu) by the U.N. After being defeated by Ouma he is taken prisoner by the U.N., but this is a ruse for him to escape custody in search of a hinge stone underneath the Kurobe Dam facility. Ouma realizes that he looks identical to a Washiba Clan samurai captain whom he once met, but when confronted, Fusnani denies any notion of being from Earth. After Fusnani is cornered by U.N. forces, he tries to kill Yukina to render the Black Relic useless, but he is then killed by Kennosuke. Like Muetta, he too is probably a clone created by the Washiba samurai's DNA to serve in the Efy Dolgh invasion force.
- Hedo (ヒドゥ Hidu)
- Voiced by: Hideki Nakanishi (Japanese); Grant George (English)
- The first seen Efy Dolgh pilot. His Geoframe is designated "Yellow Crab" (イエロークラブ Ierōkurabu) by the U.N. Ouma uses the Black Relic to defeat him once, severing Yellow Crab's right arm, but Hedo returns with a replacement arm for his mecha. After being defeated a second time, Hedo emerges from his mecha to acknowledge the prowess of the Black Relic's operator and to ask why they betrayed Efy Dolgh. Receiving no answer due to Ouma's shock at his human appearance, Hedo proceeds to commit suicide by detonating Yellow Crab.
- Yukihime (雪姫)
- Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki (Japanese); Kira Buckland (English)
- The final heiress of the Washiba Clan. When Efy Dolgh invaded Sengoku era Japan, Yukihime enlisted Ouma to operate Black Relic with her to stand against the invaders. However, Black Relic was eventually caught in an explosion, during which Yukihime died and Ouma lost his memory.
- Zelleager "Zell" Myundef Vishrai (ゼルイーガー・ミュンデフ・ビシュライ (ゼル) Zeruigā Myundefu Bishurai (Zeru)) / Demon (鬼 Oni)
- Voiced by: Shigenori Sōya (Japanese); Christopher Corey Smith (English)
- Zell is an alien from a planet located 220 years light away from the Earth in the Sagittarius constellation. His species is red-skinned, horned, and has centuries-long lifespans. Zell's planet was conquered by the Efy Dolgh, and he wanted to prevent the Earth from facing the same fate. Arriving in Japan 450 years ago, he attempted to stop the Efy Dolgh force which massacred the Washiba Clan, but the humans believed he was a demon and attacked him. In the recent past, Yukina's father Takehito Shirahane met him and attempted to assist his cause. Takehito also gave him the name Zell as a shortened form of his full name. In the present day, he has come to the aid of UN forces in order to counter Efy Dolgh's invasion.
Broadcast and distribution
Kuromukuro is directed by Tensai Okamura and produced by P.A.Works, spanning 26 episodes. It began airing on April 7, 2016. The series is written by Ryō Higaki, with character designs by Yuriko Ishii and music by Hiroaki Tsutsumi. For the first 13 episodes, the opening theme is "Deathtopia" (デストピア Desutopia) by Glay, and the ending theme is "Reali.stic" (リアリ・スティック Riari Stikku) by Michi. For the remaining 13 episodes, the opening theme is "Chō Onsoku Destiny" (超音速デスティニー lit. Supersonic Destiny) by Glay, and the ending theme is "Eien Loop" (永遠ループ lit. Eternal Loop) by Ami Wajima.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"The Sky Raining Demons"|
"Oni no Furu Sora" (鬼の降る空)
|April 7, 2016|
|Hiromi Shirahane, Director of the nearby U.N. Research Institute is told by a teacher that her daughter Yukina is failing and has few career prospects, but she blames the school for the poor grades. After school, Yukina and Mika go to the Research Institute near Kurobe Dam where their parents work. Meanwhile the Ministry of Defense detects a meteor-like object heading for Japan that breaks up and pieces fall between Nagano and Toyama. Yukina daydreams of when she was little girl and her father told her that demons would return to earth. Mr. Aramata shows her a large black cube and a gigantic mecha type object found while excavating for the dam 60 years ago. At that moment, one of the pieces from space crashes near the U.N. Research Institute and a large number of small mecha attack the facility followed by one huge rose-colored mecha. The facility sends one-man battle units to fight them and Director Hiromi Shirahane authorizes two GAUS units to fight the huge mecha. Yukina touches a glowing red section on the cube which springs open, revealing a naked young man, Kennosuke Tokisada Ouma. He kneels before her and calls her princess. He then attacks and defeats one of the small mecha that entered the building while the two GAUS units manage to defeat the huge mecha outside. Kennosuke is then shot with a tranquilizer dart by security guards. Epilogue: GAUS (Gravity Attenuated Upright Shell) units are 19.4 meter tall two-seater mecha operated by a pilot and navigator.|
|2||"The Black Relic Awakened"|
"Kuroki Mukuro wa Mezameta" (黒き骸は目覚めた)
|April 14, 2016|
|Prologue: In the past, a princess inquires about people who live in foreign lands beyond the sea. In the present, a second huge yellow mecha lands on the coast and heads towards the shore accompanied by many small mecha. The Ministry of Defense detect the landing of more hostiles in other countries across the world. Director Shirahane, with Paula and Jiro, go with Dr. Hausen to question Kennosuke, but he manages to escape, taking Yukina, who he now realizes is not the princess. He calls the black cube, which transports them to where the gigantic mecha type object is stored – the Black Relic (クロムクロ Kuromukuro). The cube docks with the Black Relic which Kennosuke activates and uses to smash out of the facility with Yukina on-board. Defense forces attack the yellow mecha with little effect. Director Shirahane orders the defense forces not to attack the 'geoframe' from Kurobe codenamed Giant and controlled by Kennosuke. Kennosuke in the Black Relic attacks the yellow mecha which he calls he calls an Oni and they fight with long glowing swords. Four other Oni arrive on the scene, but with Yukina’s assistance as navigator, he defeats them. As he is about to destroy the yellow one, it is taken into the sky on a beam of green light and up to an orbiting space station. Epilogue: The Black Relic is a 19.5m tall humanoid mecha controlled by 2 people.|
|3||"The Castle Ruins Cannot Turn Back Time"|
"Jōseki ni Toki wa Kaerazu" (城跡に時は還らず)
|April 21, 2016|
|Prologue: 60 years ago the cube and the giant are discovered and their management is assigned to the United Nations. Examination of the destroyed alien Cactus units show no sign of a human pilot. It is confirmed that six large units landed on earth. Kennosuke takes the Black Relic to the Azumi Castle which is now uninhabited. While trying to adjust to the modern world, he is captured by UN forces and the Black Relic is immobilised. He escaped custody again, but Sophie Noelle tackles him and he is subdued by UN forces activating a collar around his neck. Osho Yakushi from the nearby temple talks to Kennosuke and obtains information that places him in the Sengoku period 450 years ago when he was a retainer to the Washiba Clan. Kennosuke uses a diversion by Koharu to escape again, taking her into the mountains, but they are attacked by a Cactus unit and Koharu is captured. Kennosuke returns to the UN facility and calls the black cube, takes Yukina on-board and goes in pursuit. He catches the Cactus unit but cannot defeat it alone as his sword breaks. Fortunately two of the single-seater Dwarf units arrive, destroy the Cactus unit and rescue Koharu. On seeing a huge rock cut in two during a battle in the past, Kennosuke finally accepts he is now in the future. Epilogue: The 3.8m tall unmanned invader geoframes are called Cactus.|
|4||"The Foreign Taste Tells All"|
"Ikoku no Aji ni Ono ga Kyōgū o Shiru" (異国の味に己が境遇を知る)
|April 28, 2016|
|Kennosuke has dinner with the Shirahane children and uncle Osho Yakushi where he first tries modern Japanese food. The Ministry of Defense analysis of the current status of the ISS is that 6 enemy giant mecha or geoframes landed, but only Japan was able to defeat one. The geoframes appear to be searching for something rather than attacking. Among the strange things Kennosuke sees at the Shirahane household is a TV showing a historical movie of the Battle of Okehazama. He has recurring memories of being unable to save his princess. Yukina takes him to a shopping mall where he marvels at the strange new world. They encounter two reporters who remember that her father Takehito, before he disappeared, advocated a bizarre theory about a legend of demons which had something to do with aliens. Yukina shows Kennosuke her father’s notebook on the demons, including a passage on the extermination of the Washiba Clan by a mysterious unknown power. Inside the book is a photo with a dark blurred figure that Kennosuke recognizes as the demon that attacked him and the princess 450 years ago. Epilogue: The 3.7m tall MM3A single-seater defense units are called Dwarfs.|
|5||"The Man Who Came to the Garden of Learning"|
"Manabiya ni Kita Otoko" (学び舎に来た男)
|May 5, 2016|
|Prologue: Kennosuke enrols at Tateyama International High School much to Yukina's horror. Earlier Kennosuke and Yukina were placed under the control of the U.N. Research Institute. They are the only ones who can operate the Black Relic as it implanted them with nanomachine channels. Kennosuke paints a rough likeness of an Oni that the UN can use for identification. Major Graham introduces them to the rest of the GAUS Unit crew; Tom Borden, Liu Shen Mi, Sophie Noelle, and Toshiyuki "Sebastian" Mozumi. Much to Kennosuke’s disgust, they give him the nickname "Ken". Kennosuke has trouble adjusting to modern school life, but through Marina Unami the Health Ed teacher and Student Counsellor he learns that the age of samurai has long passed. He again encounters Sophie who questions his and Yukina's reasons for fighting, and ends up being disappointed in Kennosuke's answer and Yukina's uncertainty. While the UN is transporting the Black Relic to Tateyama, NORAD detects another object leaving the orbiting alien mothership and heading for Toyama. Everyone is mobilised as three more geoframes land near the town. Kennosuke and Yukina reach the Black Relic and prepare for battle. Epilogue: The 19.6m tall unmanned geoframes that the invaders deploy are called Headless.|
|6||"Dancing on the Bank of the River Jinzu"|
"Jinzū no Kawara ni Mau" (神通の川原に舞う)
|May 12, 2016|
|Kennosuke and Yukina in the Black Relic attack Yellow Crab, the largest of the Headless geoframes, but the three respond together. The Headless geoframes appear to work together to nullify the Black Relic’s recovery systems. The U.N. Research Institute mobilizes and deploys the two GAUS units. The GAUS units arrive and engage the two smaller Headless geoframes and manage to destroy them. Kennosuke in the Black Relic has trouble defeating Yellow Crab because of its high-output gravity shield, but finally manages to destroy it. During the battle, two high school students follow the action, and commence live streaming from a mobile phone which is viewed around the world. A pilot encased in armour emerges from the wreckage of the Yellow Crab. He removes his helmet and surprisingly has a human appearance. He announces himself as Hedo, Efy Dolgh’s Frontier Reform Officer and asks Kennosuke, wielder of Glongur, why he betrayed Efy Dolgh. He then detonates the geoframe, causing a devastating explosion. Epilogue: The 19.6m tall Yellow Crab geoframe is thought to be a command unit in the invaders' army. It has long extendable arms and a high-output gravity shield.|
|7||"The Daybreak Disappearance"|
"Shinonome ni Kiyu" (東雲に消ゆ)
|May 19, 2016|
|The U.N. Research Institute assesses the situation following the sighting of a human pilot in the yellow geoframe and its destruction. A number of rumors circulate about the origin of the alien geoframes, however they are similar to the Black Relic of 450 years ago and may be related. Ken says the Black Relic was stolen by the princess and he still seeks revenge for destruction of the Washiba Clan. Yukina refuses to be further involved in any fighting or killing. Fellow students Akagi and Kayahara who filmed the battle are still missing. Ken is conflicted about getting Yukina to ride with him in the Black Relic but he needs her to exact his revenge. On the orbiting alien mothership, the leaders of Efy Dolgh, who look like humans wearing battle suits, discuss their strategy. They are surprised how much earth’s inhabitants have progressed in 450 years, and at the destruction of Hedo in the yellow geoframe. They plan appears to involve gathering particular large stones. They send a message to Earth demanding the return of their mecha known as Black Relic. Yukina and her mother argue. The next day Yukina is gone.|
|8||"The Black Eagle's Castle"|
"Kurowashi no Shiro" (黒鷲の城)
|May 26, 2016|
|The U.N. Research Institute discover the Black Relic is drawing on nearby materials to heal itself. They decide not to hand it over to the Efy Dolgh who they suspect of having a hidden motive for their return to Earth. Yukina goes back home but finds no-one home and leaves for Kurowashi Valley. Akagi and Kayahara return to school unharmed. NORAD discovers that the geoframe code-named Longarm that landed in the United States has returned to the mothership with an object. Ken learns that Yukina went to Kurowashi Valley and goes after her. While Yukina is searching for the location of the Washiba Clan's castle in the valley, she is attacked by a Cactus unit. Another type of small mecha unit appears and seems to confront it, but the Cactus is destroyed by an unseen hand. With no reply from the humans, the Efy Dolgh decide to send one of their number, Fusunani, to Earth’s surface.|
|9||"The Demon Laughs in the Cavern"|
"Iwaya ni Oni ga Warau" (岩屋に鬼が嗤う)
|June 2, 2016|
|A group of five Efy Dolgh geoframes advance towards the U.N. Research Institute. Yukina awakes in a cavern full of electronic equipment, and discovers a bloodstained notebook written by her father about the destruction of the Washiba Clan. She again sees the unknown mecha and faints. She is found later in a bus shelter by Akagi and Kayahara. Kennosuke also arrives and Yukina and agrees to ride with him in the Black Relic. They are then retrieved by the U.N. forces. Kennosuke and Yukina attack the Efy Dolgh geoframes in the Black Relic but are surrounded and caught in a tractor beam, and pulled upwards towards the orbiting space station. The defense forces fire missiles at them which enables the Black Relic to break free. The two GAUS units arrive and engage and defeat the smaller geoframes while the Black Relic fights the four-armed larger unit. With Yukina’s help Kennosuke defeats the large geoframe. The Efy Dolgh Fusunani emerges and surrenders.|
|10||"The Pompous Prisoner"|
"Fuson'na Toriko" (不遜な虜)
|June 9, 2016|
|The UN Research Institute scientists examine Fusunani and find that his body and sword are similar to those of Kennosuke, including the installation of a neural interface. Fusunani says that he is a frontier Reform Officer in Efy Dolgh’s Gezon-Reco squad. Their aim is to bring prosperity to uncivilized planets and the objects they seek were left by an advance party 450 years ago. These are fragments of a ‘pivot’ stone that was broken when the advance party was wiped out by the Kuromukuro, whose wielder seemingly betrayed them. Specialists from the UN’s ET Research Bureau question Kennosuke about what happened 450 years ago and he tells of the arrival of the demons from the sky, their destruction of the Washiba Clan, and how fought with the princess in the Black Relic, and her death. He denies being part of the Efy Dolgh’s advance party but the UN specialists remain suspicious. Meanwhile Fusunani escapes from his guards, and remotely summons his Longarm geoframe. On his way out he encounters Yukina.|
|11||"The Truth Shrouded in Darkness"|
"Yami ni Fushitaru Makoto" (闇に臥したる真)
|June 16, 2016|
|Under the control of Fusunani, the Longarm geoframe heads towards the UN Research Institute and pierces a main power line with its sword. The two GAUS units intercept the Longarm geoframe. Fusunani kidnaps Yukina and follows her to the excavation site where recognises an Efy Dolgh pivot stone. Kennosuke confronts Fusunani and they fight. Kennosuke accuses him of being Sadakuro Saito of the Washiba Clan, but Fusnani denies being of Earth. In turn, Fusunani accuses him of being a traitor and having forgotten who he really is. Kennosuke defeats Fusunani, and he falls to his death. The Longarm then falls motionless. The UN’s ET specialists cannot discern whether Fusunani or Kennosuke’s version of past events is the true story. Yukina takes Kennosuke hiking and they find the location of the base where she saw her father’s notebook, but there now is only a large hole in the ground. Kennosuke reaffirms his promise to protect her.|
|12||"A Glimpse of Hell in the Kurobe Summer"|
"Kurobe no Natsu ni Jjigoku o Miru" (黒部の夏に地獄を見る)
|June 23, 2016|
|The Efy Dolgh retrieve another pivot stone from Earth, but are frustrated at their slow progress. The Gezon-Reco group can retrieve the pivot stones but have yet to locate the important corner stone. The GAUS pilots, Yukina, Kennosuke, and Akagi enter a summer training camp, but Akagi and Yukina has trouble keeping up with the rigorous physical and educational training. Akagi has to exit after injuring his leg. Meanwhile the UN Research Institute experiments with gravity control for the GAUS units to walk on water with limited success. By the end of the summer break training, Yukina eventually improves her fitness and Kennosuke is allowed to keep his sword and the stun choker is removed.|
|13||"Beckoned by the Festival Music"|
"Matsuribayashi ni Yobarete" (祭囃子に呼ばれて)
|June 30, 2016|
|Kuromukuro (Black Relic) and the two GAUS units fight to drive the Spider geoframe controlled by Mirasa from the urban area. The Spider geoframe is injured and she retreats to enable it to recover. Yukina's class plans for the school's cultural festival and decides on the theme "Teach me Efy Dolgh" as there are three pilots in the class. The class's students prepare for the festival through the night, building a large geoframe replica. Yukina and Kennosuke bring food for them on the "Cube" artifact which is later air-lifted back to base by a UN helicopter. Efy Dolgh soldier Muetta attends the school festival cosplay competition in her battle suit, which is mistaken for a costume. While the Efy Dolgh forum is in progress, Muetta appears and attacks Kennosuke. Kennosuke is stunned when he sees Muetta's face which resembles Princess Yukihime, allowing Muetta to stab him with her sword.|
|14||"Rasetsu Dance Festival"|
"Matsuri ni Odoru Rasetsu" (祭に踊る羅刹)
|July 1, 2016|
|Before Muetta can kill Kennosuke, she is stopped by a tall masked figure. Kennosuke is alive but badly wounded. Muetta escapes the attack by the stranger and calls for her Medusa geoframe, which launches from the mothership. Muetta enters the geoframe and is immediately attacked by the two GAUS units, but manages to escape. Kennosuke recovers enough to pilot the Kuromukuro and confronts Muetta in her Medusa geoframe who he still believes is Princess Yukihime. Mirasa in the Spider geoframe arrives and joins the fight. The two GAUS units also arrive and engage Mirasa’s Spider geoframe. The GAUS units and Kuromukuro fight as a team and damage Mirasa’s Spider geoframe, prompting Muetta and Mirasa to retreat back to the Efy Dolgh mothership.|
|15||"The End of Oiwake"|
"Oiwake no Hate" (追分の果て)
|July 8, 2016|
|Kennosuke is badly injured in the fight with the geoframes and is taken into the UN facility for medical treatment. Meanwhile, many civilians are leaving Tateyama because of the geoframe attacks. Kennosuke has visions of the past including Princess Yukihime and the tall masked figure conferring about him. Again, he recovers from his near fatal wounds through a rapid self-healing process. Ogino wants the Akagi and Kaya to make a cosplay video for her. The Efy Dolgh officers debate what to do about the Black Relic, but Muetta and Mirasa seek to redeem themselves and secretly depart for Earth.|
|16||"The Flowing Water Reunion"|
"Saikai wa Mizu ni Nagarete" (再会は水に流れて)
|July 22, 2016|
|Efy Dolgh fighters, Muetta and Mirasa, arrive at Kurobe Dam. Ogino and the school group travel to find a location to film her cosplay. She has asked Marina along to lift her spirits after she tendered her resignation because of the Efy Dolgh attack at the school’s cultural festival. The UN plans for Sophie’s departure for France and trial single-pilot GAUS units to increase their capacity to deal with the enemy geoframes, but with mixed success. Kennosuke and Sophie discuss the meaning of freedom. Meanwhile, Muetta and Mirasa gain entry to the UN facility. They capture Kennosuke, who still believes that Muetta is Princess Yukihime, but she denies knowing him. They find the excavation site with the final fragments of the hinge stone. Confronted by UN troops, Kennosuke tries to defend Muetta, but Sophie says that he is foolish, and vows to stay at the facility. As they are about to leave, Mirasa stabs Muetta so that she can take sole credit for the discovery. Muetta jumps from the dam wall into the rushing waters below.|
|17||"Oni Dancing in the Clouds"|
"Unchū ni Oni ga Mau" (雲中に鬼が舞う)
|July 28, 2016|
|Efy Dolgh soldier Imusa descends again to Earth to find the remaining three Hinge Stones, including the Keystone. The GAUS crew waits for new parts to arrive and debate whether or not Muetta is Princess Yukihime. Kennosuke uses the Black Relic to search for Muetta. Efy Dolgh soldier Yoruba travels to Japan in the flying Bluebird geoframe to check on his comrades and also shoots down the transport plane carrying the GAUS replacement parts. The crew manage to offload the parts before crash-landing into the dam where Kennosuke uses the Black Relicto save the plane and crew. Yoruba in the Bluebird geoframe finds Mirasa who lies about the fate of Muetta and he goes in search of her. He sees the Black Relic and attacks, but during the aerial battle the Demon attaches his own flying geoframe to the Black Relic to help Kennosuke. However, because of Kennosuke's mistrust of demons it departs, but promises assist him if needed.|
"Yukemuri Ni Kieru" (湯煙に消える)
|August 4, 2016|
|The JSDF, UN, and Efy Dolgh search for Muetta. Yukina's class decide to go to Toyama Memorial hot springs at “Kenshin’s hidden residence” for the weekend. Not all end up going, only the core group of Yukina's friends. Meanwhile the wounded Muetta takes refuge at the hot springs, hoping to aid her recovery. After getting lost, Yukina and Kennosuke arrive at the same spring, where they stumble upon Muetta, and the UN takes her into custody. Just then, a Cactus unit appears, captures Yukina, and escapes back into orbit.|
|19||"Invitation to a Demon's Feast"|
"Oni Ga Izanau Utage" (鬼が誘う宴)
|August 11, 2016|
|The Cactus unit returns to the space station with Yukina whom the Efy Dolgh believe is Muetta. At the UN, Dr. Hausen reveals that Yukina and Muetta share the same DNA and concludes that Yukina was taken by mistake. The UN discuss a rescue mission, but no decision is made. While sitting alone Sophie sees some writing appear, asking if she wants to learn the truth about demons. She agrees, and when she returns home the Demon is waiting. He introduces himself as Zeringer Mundef Bischrei. He reveals little, only that he is an enemy of the Efy Dolgh. Kennosuke asks Muetta (Yukihime) if she will pilot the Kuromukuro (Black Grongul) with him. She agrees to assist him to take the Kuromukuro to the space station, but cannot guarantee his return. As they prepare to leave in the Kuromukuro, they see a recorded message from Princess Yukihime imploring her ancestors to fight the demons and protect the Washiba Clan. Muetta wonders if there are things about her past that she does not know. On the space station, Yukina escapes from captivity and realises that she's no longer on Earth.|
|20||"The Tiger's Maw Leaping into the Fire"|
"Tonde Hi ni Iru Tora no Kuchi" (飛んで火に入る虎の口)
|August 18, 2016|
|Yukina explores the Efy Dolgh mothership and encounters Mirasa who gives chase, believing she’s Muetta. Yukina manages to access the Efy Dolgh data banks and learns about their plans. Kennosuke takes off in the Kuromukuro with Muetta, and Major Graham arrests Director Shirahane for the lapse in security. The Demon reveals to Sophie that the Efy Dolgh aim for planet domination, and that his planet was conquered by them. He says that the Efy Dolgh geoframes encountered on Earth are only reconnaissance units and the invasion force is far more powerful. He leaves her a memory stick with data about them. Back on the mothership, Yukina is shocked to discover a head which appears to be that of the princess. Meanwhile Muetta requests retrieval in the Kuromukuro Glongur and the Efy Dolgh beam it up to their ship. She reports to the Efy Dolgh leaders and learns that they planted seeds of life on various planets, including Earth. When Kennosuke is detected on board, the Efy Dolgh accuse Muetta of being a traitor and attack her. Kennosuke, Muetta and Yukina meet and join forces, leaving the mothership in their Glongurs. As they fall towards Earth the Demon intercepts them and carries them down towards. The UN facility is notified by NORAD that the Efy Dolgh mothership is descending to the planet surface.|
|21||"The Day the Stronghold Fell"|
"Gajō no Ochiru hi" (牙城の落ちる日)
|August 25, 2016|
|The Kuromukuro and Medusa Glongurs return to Earth assisted by the Demon but Muetta is arrested. Zell the Demon explains that Yukihime died 450 years ago, and that Muetta is a copy based on her genetic information. He says the Efy Dolgh create clones of the lifeforms they conquer and implant false memories in them to be loyal Efy Dolgh vanguards - only by uniting can they defeat the Efy Dolgh invasion. He tells Yukina that her father Takehito was a close friend. While people are evacuating, the Efy Dolgh mothership starts launching multiple geoframes including the Spider and Rock Head piloted by Yoruba and Imusa, The Demon flies the Kuromukuro to confront them while the three single pilot GAUS units engage the headless geoframes on the ground. The battle is fierce, and the UN facility is breached. The Efy Dolgh mothership drops hundreds of cactus units which release electronic parasites that take control of the staff. Sophie gets others to help rescue Muetta while Sebastian in his GAUS unit sacrifices himself to destroy Mirasa's Spider geoframe, while the woman manages to survive instead. Kennosuke in the Kuromukuro picks up Tom Borden in the remaining GAUS unit and they depart the overrun UN Kurobe facility.|
|22||"A Demon Crying in the Snow"|
"Oni ga naita setchūka" (鬼が哭いた雪中花)
|September 1, 2016|
|Yukina, Kennosuke and all the others who escaped the attack on the research facility retreat to the school, which has become the new UN's HQ. The entire region is completely isolated from the rest of the world because of the barrier created by Efy Dolgh. That night, the Demon speaks to Kennosuke, Yukina and her mother, revealing to them how he met Yukina's father years ago, shortly before his death from a sudden avalanche. Meanwhile, the Efy Dolgh manage to excavate the hinge stone from the dam's excavation, using the parasited humans as slaves. The stone draws in surrounding heat, cooling the area and provoking a snow storm over Kurobe. Muetta, having finally accepted the fact that she's been cloned, and all of her memories are fake, escapes from the base. While she's searching for Muetta, Yukina collapses in the snow. When Muetta finds her, she and Yukina take refuge in an old house where they're reached by Kennosuke. Muetta reveals to them that the Efy Dolgh are planning to use the hinge stone to create a wormhole between the Earth and its homeland, to enable the main army to storm the planet and subjugate it.|
|23||"Frogs Singing in the Snow"|
"Yuki ni Utau Kaeru" (雪に唄う蛙)
|September 8, 2016|
|The UN staff contained within the Efy Dolgh barrier and cut off from the outside world, consider their limited options while the Efy Dolgh Frontier Reform Officers advance force prepare to extract the Hinge Stone. Teacher Takekuma tries to get the students interested in study and tells a story of two frogs. Later, Takekuma advises Kennosuke on his future career. Meanwhile Muetta experiences the taste of Earth food and tries to understand Earth society and culture. She receives advice from teacher Marina about exploring her own identity. José Carlos writes a movie script suggested during their hot springs adventure, titled Devilish Purgatory Baseball Team. The other students agree to participate in it and filming commences. During the filming Kennosuke asks Muetta to fight with him as an equal against the Efy Dolgh who meanwhile begin to lift the completed Hinge Stone to their mothership.|
|24||"The Bloody Battle of Kurobe Dam"|
"Kessen no Kurobe Damu" (血戦の黒部ダム)
|September 15, 2016|
|In the period before confronting the Efy Dolgh forces, Muetta decides to fight alongside the humans while Kennosuke and Yukina promise to protect each other. Kennosuke awkwardly proposes to marry Yukina but she does not accept. The Kuromukuro, Sophie's GAUS-01, Muetta's Medusa and the other UN's heavy machines engage Mirasa and Yaruba's geoframes. Meanwhile a small group of troops led by Graham and Hiromi manage to recapture the Kurobe Dam research facility. They find the parasited humans unconscious and take control. Outside, Sophie is reunited with Sebastian who is still alive and he takes control of the GAUS-02 unit. Muetta and Kennosuke manage to defeat Mirasa and Yaruba respectively. The Efy Dolgh leader Refill descends and unites his geoframe with Imusa's to create a giant geoframe, but it is defeated using Yukina's plan of using simultaneous attacks. Refill returns to the mothership, but he's mortally wounded by Zell and is revealed to be a clone of one of Zell's race. Zell uses a parasite to get him to complete the wormhole's shutdown. The dying Refill reveals to Zell, Yukina and Kennosuke that the Efy Dolgh would now send a larger Reform Fleet in real time which would reach the Earth in 224 cycles.|
|25||"The Dream the Demons Had"|
"Oni no Mita Yume" (鬼の見た夢)
|September 22, 2016|
|Refill says that the Efy Dolgh control 85% of Zell's planet which gives Zell hope that there may be a resistance movement. The Efy Dolgh invasion force had also received communication that some planets subjugated by them are uniting. He also confirms that Muetta is an artificial creation and that frontier officers like herself are disposed of once they serve their purpose. The UN fear that an arms race may start after the failed invasion and also fear that the immortal Efy Dolgh clones like Kennosuke and Muetta may pose a threat to humanity. Zell tells the story of how he came to Earth with others of his race to find allies and fight the Efy Dolgh, but only found Kennosuke and Yukihime alive. They trained them to control the captured Kuromukuro and defeated the Efy Dolgh, but only Kennosuke and Zell survived the battle. In the new climate of suspicion, Dr. Hausen has Muetta fitted with a controlling collar and Kennosuke is treated as a threat. Kennosuke resolves to travel to Zell's planet with Zell and Muetta to fight the Efy Dolgh. Kennosuke and Yukina spend some time together, but he breaks off their engagement which leaves her heartbroken.|
|26||"The Samurai Who Doesn't Look Back"|
"Samurai wa Furikaerazu" (侍は振り返らず)
|September 29, 2016|
|Yukina decides to follow Kennosuke to help Zell liberate his planet from the Efy Dolgh and her friends join her in her mission. Kennosuke and Muetta's Golongurs, Kuromukuro and Medusa, are still locked within the UN facility, but with the help of Yukina, Sophie and Sebastian, Kennosuke, Muetta and Zell manage to free their Golongurs. Zell activates the hinge and opens the Efy Dolgh portal. Tom Borden tries to stop them but is unsuccessful and they depart. Yukina is unable to reach the portal and is left behind. Five years later, the Toyama Kitokito Spaceport is open. Yukina, Sophie and Sebastian board a spaceship with a strike force and depart for Chi-one Sagittarii to assist Kennosuke Ouma and Zell fight the Efy Dolgh.|
- "P.A.WORKS15周年記念アニメのタイトルが「クロムクロ」に決定" (in Japanese). Ota-Suke. December 7, 2015. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- "P.A. Works Reveals Kuromukuro 15th Anniversary TV Anime Project". Anime News Network. December 21, 2015. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- "VIDEO: "Kuromukuro" TV Anime Promo Arrives with More Details". Crunchyroll. December 21, 2015. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- "P.A. Works Reveals Kuromukuro TV Anime's Story, More of Cast & Staff, April Debut in New Video". Anime News Network. February 8, 2016. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- "P. A. Works' Kuromukuro TV Anime to Have 26 Episodes". Anime News Network. May 7, 2016. Retrieved May 7, 2016.
- "クロムクロの放送情報" (in Japanese). Tokyo MX. Retrieved May 14, 2016.