Talk:List of people who survived assassination attempts
- 1 Queen Elizabeth
- 2 ?
- 3 Chronological vs. Alphabetical
- 4 George H. W. Bush?
- 5 Jean Chrétien
- 6 Fidel Castro? =
- 7 No sources
- 8 Kim Dae Jung
- 9 Article format - missing citations or article mentions
- 10 Format again
- 11 Ethnicity of would-be assassins
- 12 Semi-protected edit request on 29 May 2014
- 13 Category
- 14 Revert on Henriette Reker attempted assassination
- 15 Semi-protected edit request on 25 August 2016
- 16 Things that need to be added
- 17 External links modified
I removed references to Queen Elizabeth of the UK and Prince Charles as I can't find any references to asassination attempts for either. Someone fired a blank pistol at QE2, and someone broke into Buckingham Palace, but there was never a serious attempt to kill either as far as I can tell. DJ Clayworth 13:59, 18 Sep 2003 (UTC)
Are we including people who've survived all assassination attempts except one (generally the last one)? I'm fairly certain Uday Hussein is no more. Same goes for Bob Marley, and it's explicitly noted that Hendrik Verwoerd was indeed killed.
Would like to bring to your attention and I can't for the life of me wonder why this man has not been added to the list; In the Spring of 1981 Ronald Regan was shot on March 30th, 1981 and then Pope Jean Paul II on May 13, 1981 but what people have been avoiding here is that a Constable in Shediac, New Brunswick was ordered to work a double shift and was shot 5 times point blank range when a man who the officer believed to be highly intoxicated staggered right in the path of his police cruiser on June 2, 1981.
The assailant left the officer there on the ground and then stole his police cruiser and dumped it 5 miles out of the Town of Shediac, at Cap Bimet, New Brunswick. Witnesses were not interviewed and those that spoke out police refused to take statements from them.
Up to three police cruisers saw the assailant escaping with a damaged police cruiser but according to police did not stop him. The officer spent three weeks in intensive care unit at the Moncton City Hospital and three weeks in a private room. The Officer's uniform was returned to him in August of 1981 two months after he was shot with a message to keep it as a remembrance of what happen to him.
A revolver they say was found in the police cruiser was left on the floor in salt water for two weeks, was discarded, was never sent to a crime lab to be identified and checked against a bullet taken from the officer's body but was destroyed 5 months later along with the only undamaged bullet.
The motive for the Assignation attempt was to get him out of the way. There is a blog with pictures of the crime scenes, media news reports & police files & letters explaining.
Can anyone help create an entry for this man? The Blog; http://shediac1981.wordpress.com
- What you describe is not an assassination; it's attempted murder of a police officer, something which unfortunately occurs with some regularity if not daily. GenQuest "Talk to Me" 12:14, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
Chronological vs. Alphabetical
On another issue, is reverse chronological order more useful than alphabetical? I thought these were in no particular order and was on the verge of alphabetizing it when I saw the intro. --Calieber 21:11, 21 Oct 2003 (UTC)
- By alphabetical order: if you know a person's name, it's probably easier to just look him/her up in List of people by name rather then here. IMHO, it's more interesting to go through the list in (reverse) chronological order, even if there are a few entries, that can't be easily added (e.g. Fidel Castro) - User:Docu
George H. W. Bush?
I don't think a plot counts as an assassination attempt. If we started listing every plot, the list would get too large quite quickly, ;) I think it should just be limited to actual assassination attempts, meaning a physical action was taken, not just plotting.
I actually didn't know much about this plot. It is not mentioned in the article on Bush's life history. From what I just researched, the circumstancial evidence linking those guys to Bush was a bit tenuous. The US apparently found out 2 weeks after Bush was in Kuwait that the Kuwaitis arrested some guys with explosives. The links to Bush seem to be: the timing of Bush's trip, the bombs were similar to Iraqi ones, and Saddam not liking Bush very much. Incidentally, these were the reasons Clinton launched a bunch of missiles at an Iraqi intelligence building in 93. The fact that we launched missiles in retaliation pushes me back in the other direction that maybe the evidence was stronger than the pages I read indicate. Although US intelligence in that part of the world seems pretty shaky.
I removed the reference to Jean Chrétien, no attempt was ever made on his life during the break in by André Dallaire at 24 Sussex.
Fidel Castro? =
does fidel has a copyright on his name or something? I see no records of attemps on his life while I am sure that there were several actual attemps on his life. also, Charles de Gaulle had been the victim of atempted assassinations six times i think, two of them actuallt taking place but misfired.
Interested to see George W. Bush on this list. Why's that? Don't remember hearing anything about it and upon reading Bush's article and the two for his Presidential terms, I am still none the wiser. Could someone detail the attempt in one of his articles or else remove him from the list.
- Last year, Vladimir Arutinian threw a grenade at Bush and Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili in Georgia. —Sesel 19:12, 4 February 2006 (UTC)
This list has has no sources...can we add some? --HappyCamper 16:29, 12 June 2006 (UTC)
Kim Dae Jung
Article format - missing citations or article mentions
I cleaned things up a bit and re-organized headers. There are a considerable number of uncited entries at the bottom of the page. These were lacking citation or there was no mention in their main wiki articles of any assassination attempts. (There are a couple that were not assassination attempts -jealous husbands -that sort of thing.) If you want to research these and update them, and add back to the list, please do so; keeping the difference between "plot" and actual "attempt" in mind. Regards, GenQuest (talk) 01:37, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
Candidates removed from article
The following removed from article awaiting proper citation.
NOTE: Below are entries (alphabetized) with no citation or documentation in their wiki-article of any assassination attempt:
- John Abizaid, (2004), military commander of Iraq -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Hassan al-Alfi, (1993), Interior Minister of Egypt -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Selim al-Hoss, (1984), Prime Minister of Lebanon -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Heydar Aliyev, (1995), President of Azerbaijan -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Dora Bakoyannis, (2002), future Greek Foreign Affairs Minister -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Judi Bari and Darryl Cherney (24 May 1990), Earth First! activists -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Justo Rufino Barrios, President of Guatemala - documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Léopold Biha, (1965), Prime Minister of Burundi -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Houari Boumedienne, (1968), President of Algeria. -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- John Brooke-Little, (1978), British founder of The Heraldry Society -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Moussa Dadis Camara (2009), President of Guinea -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Charles, Prince of Wales (1994), heir to the British throne -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Michel Elefteriades, Greek-Lebanese artist and politician -documentation or article cited-reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Francisco Franco (numerous attempts) -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Sir Anerood Jugnauth, ( , 2 attempts), Prime Minister of Mauritius -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Islom Karimov, (1999), President of Uzbekistan -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- John F. Kennedy, (1960 and 1963), President-elect (1960) in Palm Beach, and (1963) President of the United States; attempts on his life in Miami and Chicago were thwarted before the assassination in Dallas. -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Nobusuke Kishi, (July 1960), Prime Minister of Japan -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Oskar Lafontaine, (1990), German politician -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Pierre Laval, (1941), prime minister of Vichy France -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Romano Prodi, (2003), former Prime Minister of Italy-documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Imomali Rakhmonov, (1996), President of Tajikistan -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Edi Rama, (2000), Mayor of Tirana -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Wayne Thomson, (1997), Mayor of Niagara Falls, Ontario -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Ahmed Sékou Touré, (1980), President of Guinea -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Félix Malloum, (1976), President of Chad -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Mao Zedong, (1973), Chairman of the Communist Party of China -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Ahmed Sékou Touré, (1969), President of Guinea. -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
- Emiliano Chamorro Vargas, (1954), former President of Nicaragua -documentation or article reference needed to support inclusion--->
The schema <name> (<date of attempt>) <identification> seems quite unintuitive and non-standard to me. The name of the person and their title or whatever need to go together. And since it's in chronological order, the sorting key - the date - ought to come first and not be in parentheses. -- Jack of Oz [your turn] 21:25, 5 April 2011 (UTC)
Ethnicity of would-be assassins
Why specify the ethnicity of Vladimir Arutyunian? Yes, he was an ethnic Armenians born in Georgia and probably Russified like many Armenians in Georgia. The investigation did not find any connection between his Armenian ethnicity and the assassination attempt. What's the rationale of including his ethnicity in a list where only names of would-be assassins or organizations are to be indicated? For instance, why not specify Ahmed Dogan's Turkish ethnicity? How relevant is it to this list? If the atempt was organized by the ASALA or some other Armenian organization, then yes his Armenian ethnicity would be very relevant, but how is it relevant in Arutyunian's case? --Երևանցի talk 02:04, 2 January 2014 (UTC)
Semi-protected edit request on 29 May 2014
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
Specific Description: Add May Chidiac to the list, and specifically between George W. Bush and Sibghatullah Mojadeddi.
Final outcome: |- | 2005 | September 25 | May Chidiac  | Television Journalist and LBC's main television anchors | Beirut, Lebanon | Unknown |Remote controlled car bomb | Amputation of her left arm and leg |- Georgechalhoub (talk) 17:50, 29 May 2014 (UTC)
Should there be a category as well as list? I think it would be helpful when specific targets are named that we are able to find them by profession (politician, journalist, etc.). That's hard to do now in list form. Crtew (talk) 19:21, 19 October 2015 (UTC)
- Currently there is a category, called "Assassination attempts," but that is not being used much for individuals unless the article includes the word assassination in the title. I think some kind of category could make this information serviceable and work in synergy with this list. Crtew (talk) 19:28, 19 October 2015 (UTC)
- There was a category like this, but it was deleted (see this discussion). The problem is, per WP:CATDEF, categories should reflect the "defining characteristics" of the article subject, and no-one is primarily notable for surviving an assassination attempt. DoctorKubla (talk) 08:20, 20 October 2015 (UTC)
- There have been two categories in the last three years to tie in here, both deleted as unhelpful. The earliest was created by me. I won't mess with categories anymore. I was told lists are better and more informative, so I stick with that and leave the category minions to their own devices. GenQuest "Talk to Me" 01:43, 28 November 2015 (UTC)
Revert on Henriette Reker attempted assassination
I noticed that someone tried to remove the "right-wing" from "right-wing extremist", claiming it was a POV edit. It wasn't. It was confirmed and sourced by the German Federal Public Prosecution service that it was a "targeted political assassination", while the North Rhine-Westphalian Office for the Protection of the Constitution has confirmed that the assassin had a history of far-right related violence and was a member of a now-banned Neonazi group. These are confirmed by official sources, but these sources have declined to publish the perpetrator's name, meaning that while he is unnamed to the general public, his profile is known to the relevant authorities. Jamyskis Whisper, Contribs 10:37, 27 November 2015 (UTC)
Semi-protected edit request on 25 August 2016
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
On June 2, 1981 Clarence Bourque a Constable working a double shift for a small police force in Shediac, New Brunswick was shot 5 times point blank after he was lured out of his police cruiser at 1:30 A.M when someone stepped from behind a telephone pole in the path of his police cruiser. The Assassin who is unknown Shot five times severely wounded case unsolved after 35 years. Reference http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/nb/unsolved-homicides-suspicious-deaths
- Not done - for two reasons:-
- We do not have an article on Clarence Bourque
- That was attempted murder, not an attempted assassination, as Bourque was not a prominent person, political leader or ruler.
Things that need to be added
The 30th Premier of Quebec, Pauline Marois survived in the 2012 Montreal shooting. Richard Henry Bain was the suspect and he was charged with 2-degree-murder. 1 person was killed and 1 injured — Preceding unsigned comment added by UzerNamme (talk • contribs) 02:32, 11 September 2016 (UTC)
- That was actually an attack on a building, not her. GenQuest "Talk to Me" 09:14, 11 September 2016 (UTC)
It is debated wether he wanted to assassinate her. So just create a debated section and put it in there. or say in the notes it was debated — Preceding unsigned comment added by UzerNamme (talk • contribs) 18:35, 11 September 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 5 external links on List of people who survived assassination attempts. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070930165130/http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=75781 to http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=75781
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20121024091958/http://urbantitan.com/7-failed-assassinations-attempts-that-shook-the-world/ to http://urbantitan.com/7-failed-assassinations-attempts-that-shook-the-world/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110810105158/http://amnesty.name/en/library/asset/ACT78/001/1991/en/dfb14840-ee4e-11dd-9381-bdd29f83d3a8/act780011991en.pdf to http://amnesty.name/en/library/asset/ACT78/001/1991/en/dfb14840-ee4e-11dd-9381-bdd29f83d3a8/act780011991en.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20100112071742/http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23437050-house-where-carlos-the-jackal-first-struck-faces-the-bulldozer.do to http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23437050-house-where-carlos-the-jackal-first-struck-faces-the-bulldozer.do
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20081024234731/http://www.americanheritage.com/people/articles/web/20070130-richard-lawrence-andrew-jackson-assassination-warren-r-davis.shtml to http://www.americanheritage.com/people/articles/web/20070130-richard-lawrence-andrew-jackson-assassination-warren-r-davis.shtml
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.
- Third attack against press in four months HRW