United States presidential election in Rhode Island, 2012
|Turnout||60.8% 6.1 pp|
The 2012 United States presidential election in Rhode Island took place on November 6, 2012, as part of the 2012 General Election in which all 50 states plus The District of Columbia participated. Rhode Island voters chose four electors to represent them in the Electoral College via a popular vote pitting incumbent Democratic President Barack Obama and his running mate, Vice President Joe Biden, against Republican challenger and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and his running mate, Congressman Paul Ryan.
Rhode Island was won by Democratic nominee and incumbent President Barack Obama by a 27.5% margin of victory. This was the seventh straight win for the Democratic Party in Rhode Island on the presidential level. It was also the seventh time in a row that the Democratic nominee for president won all five counties and the sixth consecutive time that a Republican nominee failed to break 40% of the vote in the Ocean State.
The 2012 Rhode Island Democratic primary was held April 24, 2012. Rhode Island awarded 40 delegates proportionally.
No candidate ran against incumbent Pres. Barack Obama in Rhode Island's Democratic presidential preference primary. Obama received 6,759 votes, or 83.38% of the vote, with 1,133 votes (13.98%) for uncommitted and 214 write-in votes (2.64%)
At the Rhode Island Democratic state convention held on June 21, 2012, 35 delegates were awarded to Barack Obama, with 5 delegates remaining unannounced.
|Rhode Island Democratic primary, 2012|
Rhode Island results by county
|Elections in Rhode Island|
Part of a series on the
2012 U.S. presidential election
|Rhode Island Republican primary, 2012|
|Elections in Rhode Island|
|United States presidential election in Rhode Island, 2012|
|Party||Candidate||Running mate||Votes||Percentage||Electoral votes|
|Democratic||Barack Obama||Joe Biden||279,677||62.70%||4|
|Republican||Mitt Romney||Paul Ryan||157,204||35.24%||0|
|Libertarian||Gary Johnson||Jim Gray||4,388||0.98%||0|
|Green||Jill Stein||Cheri Honkala||2,421||0.54%||0|
|Others & write-in||2,359||0.53%||0|
- Republican Party presidential debates, 2012
- Republican Party presidential primaries, 2012
- Results of the 2012 Republican Party presidential primaries
- Rhode Island Republican Party
- This figure is calculated by dividing the total number of votes cast in 2012 (446,049) by an estimate of the number of registered voters in Rhode Island in 2012 (732,860).
- For the number of votes cast, see "Official 2012 Presidential General Election Results". Rhode Island Board of Elections. November 26, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2018.
- For the estimated number of registered voters, see "STATEWIDE - VOTER REGISTRATION SUMMARY" (PDF). Rhode Island Board of Elections. November 14, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2018.
- "Rhode Island Democrat". The Green Papers. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- "Presidential Primary Dates" (PDF). Federal Election Commission. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- "REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE". Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- State of Rhode Island official election results
- "State of Rhode Island Board of Elections". Retrieved November 14, 2012.