Vasant Shankar Kanetkar
|This article does not cite any references (sources). (September 2008)|
He was born in the town of Rahimatpur in Satara District, Maharashtra. His father, Shankar Keshav Kanetkar, was a poet who wrote poetry under the pen name Kavi Girish and was a founding member of a circle of poets named Ravikiran Mandal.
List of plays
The following is a partial list of Kanetkar's plays:
- Devanche Manorajya
- Mala kahi Sangaychay!
- Beiman (बेइमान)
- Vedyache Ghar Unhat (वेड्याचे घर ऊन्हात)
- Prema, Tujha Ranga Kasa? (प्रेमा, तुझा रंग कसा?)
- Ashroonchi Zhali Phule (अश्रूंची झाली फुले)
- Raigadala Jewha Jag Yete (रायगडाला जेंव्हा जाग येते)
- Himalayachi Sawali (हिमालयाची सावली)
- Wishawrukshachi Chhaya (विषवृक्षाची छाया)
- Lekure Udanda Jahali (लेकुरे उदंड जाहली)
- Premachya Gawa Jawe (प्रेमाच्या गावा जावे)
- Jithe Gawatas Bhale Phutatat (जिथे गवतास भाले फुटतात)
- Suryachi Pille(सूर्याची पिल्ले)
- Ithe Oshalala Mrutyu (इथे ओशाळला मृत्यु)
- Matsyagandha (मत्स्यगंधा)
- Akhercha sawal
- Rang Umalatya Manache (रंग उमलत्या मनाचे )
- Kasturimrug (कस्तुरीमृग )
- Fakta Ekach Karan (फक्त एकच कारण )
- Garudzep (गरुडझेप) (कादंबरीकार रणजीत देसाई यांच्याबरोबर)
Kanetkar's plays covered a wide range of subject matters. His favorite subject matters were the life of warrior-king Shivaji from Maharashtra, the cultural reformation in late nineteenth-century Maharashtra, human relationships, and the decline of morality in post-independence India.
List of Novels
Kanetkar wrote four novels.
- Ghar (घर)
- Pankha (पंख)
- Porka (पोरका)
- Tethe Chal Raani (तेथे चल राणी) (Translation of Jean-Paul Sartre's "Les Jeux Sont Faites")
He presided over Marathi Sahitya Sammelan in 1988.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.