|Industry||Computer Security Mobile Security Software as a Service|
Broomfield, Colorado, United StatesDublin, Ireland (International HQ)
Webroot Inc. is a private American company that provides Internet security for consumers and businesses. The company was founded in Boulder, Colorado, US and is now headquartered in Broomfield, Colorado, and has US operations in San Mateo and San Diego, and globally in Australia, Austria, Ireland, Japan and the United Kingdom. The international headquarter is located in Dublin, Ireland.
Webroot was founded in 1997 when Steven Thomas launched Webroot’s first commercial product, a trace removal agent called Webroot Window Washer. Investors include venture capital firms such as Technology Crossover Ventures, Accel Partners and Mayfield.
In 2002, Webroot launched a spyware blocking and removal product called Webroot Spy Sweeper. The company introduced antivirus protection with the launch of Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus in 2006. In October 2007, Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware and Desktop Firewall was released with added firewall protection feature.
Webroot entered the enterprise market in 2004 with the launch of Webroot Spy Sweeper Enterprise, which combined Spy Sweeper with technology that enables IT administrators to deploy antispyware protection across an entire network.
In October 2008, Webroot launched its first consumer security suite, Webroot Internet Security Essentials, in the United States. The international release of the security suite followed in early 2009.
In May 2010 Webroot announced plans to open its international headquarters in Dublin, Ireland. In July 2010 Webroot Internet Security Complete 2011 was released, including antivirus and antispyware protection, firewall capabilities, online back-up, password management licensed from LastPass, protection against identity theft and credit card monitoring for US customers.
In September 2010 Webroot opened a regional office in Leidschendam, The Netherlands which is primarily aimed at distributing Webroot's enterprise security-as-a-service (SaaS) products to businesses.
Webroot Mobile Security for Android was launched on April 5, 2011 for smartphones and tablets, with a free basic version and a paid premium version. The app is designed to protect against viruses from apps, threats delivered via web browsing and against the threats created when mobile devices are lost. The SecureAnywhere products launched on October 4, 2011, and the mobile security offerings were expanded to include the iOS mobile operating system.
In October 2011 Webroot launched a new generation of their products, using Prevx cloud technology. This included three basic products for Windows (SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Essentials and Complete 2012) and security for Android and iOS mobile devices. In February 2012 products for businesses were added.
Acquisitions and partnerships
In December 2009, Webroot announced a partnership with virtual private network software provider AnchorFree. A version without advertisements of AnchorFree's VPN software with protection via Webroot's antivirus and antispyware software was produced.
In March 2010, Webroot announced the acquisition of Swedish corporate Internet security company, Email Systems Scandinavia (ESS).
In July 2010, Webroot acquired San Diego, California-based web content classification and security services provider, BrightCloud, adding its web reputation and content classification technology to existing products.
In July 2011 a partnership was struck with global distribution firm Tech Data, making Webroot products available to Tech Data's network of 125,000 channel partners in 100 countries around the world.
AV-Comparatives gave nine vendors, including Webroot, its highest award in its July 2012 Anti-Phishing Test, in which Webroot took 9th place among 18 products tested for efficacy in blocking phishing websites. In AV-Comparatives's Performance Test for October 2012, Webroot had the best PCMark score, having the lightest impact out of 20 products tested on a Windows 7 64-bit machine.
Webroot had the worst results out of 20 products tested by AV-Comparatives in the September 2012 File Detection Test of Malicious Software, both in terms of malware detection rates and false alarms. Webroot detected less than 80 percent of viral samples, much worse than the 94.4 percent rate of the second-lowest detecting product. Webroot inappropriately flagged 210 clean files, raising as many false positives as the other 19 products tested combined. According to AV-comparatives, the "results and misses have been confirmed with several tests and also by the vendor."
PC Magazine has awarded Webroot SecureAnywhere 19 times with Editor's Choice and Security Product of the Year, its highest award given to security and software programs. In PC Magazine's test for 2013, Webroot was found by PC Magazine staff to have the best score in malware blocking tests, malware removal tests, speed of scans, and installation speed. In the 2014 test, PCMag found "Webroot's detection rate of 89 percent and overall malware cleanup score of 6.6 points are both tops among products tested using this same malware collection."
In 2014, PassMark Software, a software and hardware performance benchmarking company, benchmarked Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection and Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus using 13 performance metrics. In both tests, Webroot products were found to outperform competitors in a variety of metrics, including scan times, CPU usage, and others, earning the highest overall score in both tests.
During November 2016's evaluation of mobile security products for Android AV-TEST has given Webroot's SecureAnywhere Mobile product a "Protection Score" of 3.5 out of 6, placing it near the bottom of all 26 products evaluated in this test in terms of protection against malware. Both the "Detection of the latest Android malware in real-time" and "Detection of the latest Android malware discovered in the last 4 weeks" scores were below the "Industry Average" score.
In the October 2017 AV-Comparatives performed a "Head-to-Head Comparison" between products from VIPRE and Webroot, the Webroot SecureAnywhere product was only able to achieve 86.4% "Protection Rate", compared to VIPRE Cloud's 100% rate. The test was performed using a test set of 316 live malicious URLs found in the field.
During the January 2018 test of 84 various Android antimalware apps by AV-Comparatives, Webroot Security Premier has detected 99.7% of all antimalware samples, placing it below 30 other tested apps which showed better detection rates.
- Broomfield, Boulder County ARRIVALS & DEPARTURES, March 30, 2011, Boulder Daily Camera
- "Webroot". Retrieved 2018-08-23.
- PC Mag Reviews | Webroot Spy Sweeper 1.03 | April 22, 2003
- PC Mag Reviews | Spy Sweeper 5.2 with Antivirus
- PC Mag Reviews | Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware and Firewall
- SC Magazine >> Reviews >> Webroot Spy Sweeper Enterprise
- Cnet | Webroot launches consumer security suite
- PC Advisor | Webroot Internet Security Essentials review
- Denver Business Journal | Webroot names industry vet Williams as CEO
- Inside Ireland | Internet security firm to create 50 jobs
- Cnet | Automation, partnerships drive Webroot revamp
- RFP Connect | Webroot Opens Office in BeNeLux
- Webroot Is Latest to Join Mobile Security Fray, Launching Android Product, All Things Digital, April 5, 2011
- Webroot Introduces New Security Service That Covers Android, iOS, And PC Devices, 10.4.2011, Technology Portal, accessed 11.7.2011
- Webroot Totally Revamps Product Line 8.29.2011, PCMag, accessed 11.7.2011
- Webroot Rolls Out Cloud-Based Endpoint Security 2.21.2012, Dark Reading, accessed 04.04.2012
- "Webroot expands its enterprise class security solutions with BrightCloud service portfolio". InnovatioNews. Bloomfield, Colorado. 17 July 2014.
- Denver Post | Broomfield security-tech firm Webroot hires new CEO after Dick Williams announces retirement
- SC Magazine | Webroot acquires U.K.-based SaaS vendor Email Systems
- Tech Rockies Webroot Partners With AnchorFree
- Transworld News | Webroot Acquires Email Systems Scandinavia Strengthening Presence in Nordic Region
- eWeek | Webroot Acquires Web Site Classification Company BrightCloud
- IT Pro | Webroot acquires Prevx to lead 'security revolution'
- CRN, 7. 27. 2011, “Webroot Broadens Reach With Tech Data Distribution Deal”
- "RSA and Webroot Team Up Against Phishing Attacks". Softpedia.
- "Cyberflow Analytics - Security Intelligence & Data Analytics". www.cyberflowanalytics.com. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Webroot Extends Cybersecurity Leadership with Acquisition of CyberFlow Analytics". www.webroot.com. Retrieved 2016-09-28.
- "AV-Comparatives: Anti-Phishing Test July 2012" (PDF)..
- "AV Comparatives: Performance Test October 2012" (PDF).
- "AV Comparatives: File Detection Test of Malicious Software September 2012" (PDF). 2012-10-05.
- "Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus 2013".
- "PCMag 2014 Editor's Choice Award".
- "Gartner EPP Magic Quadrants 2014".
- "About PassMark Software". PassMark Software.
- "Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection vs. Seven Competitors" (PDF). PassMark. 19 February 2014.
- "Webroot Secure Anywhere Performance Benchmark" (PDF). PassMark. 14 August 2014.
- "The best antivirus software for Android". AV-TEST. November 2016.
- "VIPRE Endpoint Security – Cloud Edition" (PDF). AV-Comparatives. October 2017.
- "Android test 2018" (PDF). AV-Comparatives. Retrieved 14 April 2018.