West Coast, Singapore
Subzone of Clementi Planning Area
|• Pinyin||Xī Hǎi Án|
|• Malay||Pantai Barat|
|• Tamil||மேற்கு கடலோர|
West Coast was created out of reclaimed land in the 1970s. Despite both being created out of reclaimed land, the east became a recreational area but the west was filled with industries. The western part of West Coast is largely industrial but the eastern and central parts of the area are mostly filled with private housing along with a single HDB estate. The upcoming condominium is Whistler Grand
Few amenities exists in the vicinity of private houses and condominiums along West Coast. However, a town centre exists in the heart of the HDB housing estate. It consists of several two-storey shophouses, the West Coast Community Centre, the Ang Chee Sia Ong Temple, the Wu Tai Shan Buddhist Temple, West Coast Recreational Centre and the well-known Clementi West Market. West Coast Plaza (formerly known as Ginza plaza) lies across the market.
During weekends, people from other parts of Clementi and the private housing sectors of West Coast patronise the town centre, which makes it very busy.
Transport & Accessibility
West Coast is well connected with an array of road networks. There are two parallel primary roads which serve West Coast: West Coast Road and West Coast Highway. Ayer Rajah Expressway is located along the northern boundary of Clementi West. Jalan Buroh and Penjuru Road are located towards the western end of West Coast, where Pandan is located.
West Coast is also connected by a diverse network of public transportation. SBS Transit services 30, 51, 175, 196, 197, 198 SMRT services 176, 188, 189, 963 and Tower Transit services 78, 97, 143, 282, 285 travels through or loops around West Coast and many of the mentioned bus services links West Coast to Clementi MRT Station as well as Clementi Bus Interchange.
There is a wide variety of sports and recreational facilities around West Coast. Clementi stadium hosts a football field and running track. Squash courts and bowling facilities(West Bowl) can be found at West Coast Recreational Centre. West Coast Park and Clementi Woods Park also hold facilities for cycling and a dog run for pups to play. There is also several fitness corners throughout West Coast.
Enjoyment is also another important factor. Children playgrounds are commonly be in HDB estates, as well as an array of bizarre adventure playgrounds that can be found in West Coast Park.
There are several primary and secondary schools throughout West Coast, but the subzone does not have Junior Colleges and Polytechnics. And also due to the large population of international citizens in West Coast, two international schools had been set up. As of 2008, there are 4 former schools which has since either merged, named changed, moved or closed down.
Primary Schools includes:
- Qifa Primary School
Secondary Schools includes:
International Schools includes:
- The Japanese Secondary School (junior high school)
- International Community School
- Waseda Shibuya Senior High School in Singapore
- Jin Tai Primary School - Merged with Qifa Primary School in 2008.
- Jin Tai Secondary School - Changed name to Clementi Woods Secondary School in 2006.
- Jubilee Primary School - Closed down in 1997.
- Yusof Ishak Secondary School (Formerly Jubilee Integrated Secondary School) - Moved to Bukit Batok in 1998.
- Clementi Woods Secondary School - Merged with Tanglin Secondary School in 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Coast, Singapore.|
- Introduced by City Development Ltd, Whistler Grand at West Coast
- "onePA - West Coast CC". onePA. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- "WEST COAST CAMPUS." (Archive) The Japanese School Singapore. Retrieved on 8 January 2014.
- "Updates - Merger Schools". School Information Service (SIS). Ministry of Education. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "MPs of West Coast GRC". West Coast Town Council. Archived from the original on 2008-03-20. Retrieved 2011-08-25.