1641 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1641
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1641 in Ireland.
- October - Irish Rebellion of 1641 starts.
- Hugh Og MacMahon and Connor Maguire were to seize Dublin Castle, but are arrested due to an informer.
- Felim O'Neill of Kinard successfully takes several forts in the north of the country, claiming to be acting in the King's name.
- 12 November - The Parliament of England votes to send an army to Ireland to counter the rebellion.
- 29 November - Battle of Julianstown: Felim O’Neill routs a force of Government soldiers.
- The breakdown of English authority prompts widespread attacks by the dispossessed Irish population on the English and Scottish settlers. Ardfert and Dromore Cathedrals are burned down, Castle Roche ruined and the model town around Dunluce Castle destroyed.
- December - Rebel forces under Felim O'Neill begin the Siege of Drogheda.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- British Civil Wars, Commonwealth and Protectorate 1638-60.
- "Church History". Dromore Cathedral. Retrieved 2012-07-20.
- The News Letter (Belfast) 2011-06-18 p. 3.
- thePeerage.com - Person Page 444