55th Academy Awards
|55th Academy Awards|
|Date||Monday, April 11, 1983|
|Site||Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles|
|Host||Liza Minnelli, Dudley Moore, Richard Pryor, Walter Matthau|
|Producer||Howard W. Koch|
|Most awards||Gandhi (8)|
|Most nominations||Gandhi (11)|
|TV in the United States|
|Duration||3 hours, 15 minutes|
The 55th Academy Awards were presented April 11, 1983 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles. The ceremonies were presided over by Liza Minnelli, Dudley Moore, Richard Pryor, and Walter Matthau.
The 55th Academy Awards was almost dominated by Gandhi which was nominated for 11 categories out of which winning 8.
Meryl Streep won her first Best Actress award. She had been nominated the year before for The French Lieutenant's Woman and would be nominated another thirteen times in the next thirty years. Streep had previously won the Best Supporting Actress award in 1979 for Kramer vs Kramer.
Winners are listed first and highlighted in boldface.
Honorary Academy Award
Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award
- Carol Burnett (Presenter: Best Picture)
- Cher and Plácido Domingo (Presenters: Music Awards)
- Jamie Lee Curtis and Carl Weathers (Presenters: Best Sound Editing)
- Matt Dillon and Kristy McNichol (Presenter: Short Subjects)
- Lisa Eilbacher and David Keith (Presenters: Best Sound Mixing)
- Steve Guttenberg and Ann Reinking (Presenters: Best Costume Design)
- Charlton Heston (Presenter: Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award to Walter Mirisch)
- Bob Hope (Presenter: Honorary Award to Mickey Rooney)
- Michael Keaton and Nastassja Kinski (Presenters: Best Cinematography)
- Margot Kidder and William Shatner (Presenters: Best Art Direction)
- Elizabeth McGovern and Eddie Murphy (Presenters: Best Visual Effects)
- Robert Mitchum and Sigourney Weaver (Presenters: Best Supporting Actress)
- Olivia Newton-John (Presenter: Best Original Song)
- Luise Rainer and Jack Valenti (Presenters: Best Foreign Language Film)
- Christopher Reeve and Susan Sarandon (Presenters: Best Supporting Actor)
- Jane Russell and Cornel Wilde (Presenters: Best Makeup)
- Tom Selleck and Raquel Welch (Presenters: Best Film Editing)
- Sylvester Stallone (Presenter: Best Actress)
- John Travolta (Presenter: Best Actor)
- Billy Wilder (Presenter: Best Director)
- JoBeth Williams and David L. Wolper (Presenters: Documentary Awards)
- Patti Austin and James Ingram ("How Do You Keep the Music Playing?" from Best Friends)
- The Temptations and Sandahl Bergman ("Eye of the Tiger" from Rocky III)
- Stephen Bishop ("It Might Be You" from Tootsie)
- Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes ("Up Where We Belong" from An Officer and a Gentleman)
- Melissa Manchester ("If We Were in Love" from "Yes, Giorgio")
- Walter Matthau, Liza Minnelli, Dudley Moore, and Richard Pryor ("It All Comes Down to This")
Multiple nominations and awards
These films had multiple nominations:
The following films received multiple awards.
- 40th Golden Globe Awards
- 3rd Golden Raspberry Awards
- 1982 in film
- Submissions for the 55th Academy Award for Best Foreign Film
- 25th Grammy Awards
- 34th Primetime Emmy Awards
- 35th Primetime Emmy Awards
- 36th British Academy Film Awards
- 37th Tony Awards
- "The 55th Academy Awards (1983) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
- "The Official Academy Awards Database". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved September 9, 2009.