|Founded by||Rama Krishna Baliga|
|• Total||134 ha (332 acres)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Location||Hosur Road, Bangalore|
|Surface area||332 acres (134 ha)|
|Industry||Electronics, Information Technology|
|Major companies||BHEL,Wipro, Tech Mahindra, Hewlett-Packard, Infosys, Patni Computer Systems, C-DOT, CGI, Siemens|
|Total investments||US$ 2,000,000|
Electronics City, usually referred to as Electronic City, is an IT hub in Anekal taluk, Bangalore Urban district in the Indian state of Karnataka, India. It is one of India's largest electronic industrial parks, spread over 332 acres (1.3 km²) in Konappana Agrahara and Doddathogur villages, inside Bangalore, India. It consists of three zones called phases – Phase I, Phase II and Phase III. Electronics City was established by Keonics, Karnataka Electronics, a pioneer in information technology infrastructure development. Keonics Electronics City houses major IT /ITES companies. There are approximately 187 IT/ITES companies located in Electronics City.
Electronics City was the brainchild of R.K. Baliga, the first Chairman and Managing Director of Keonics, Karnataka Electronics. He dreamt of making Bangalore the Silicon Valley of India when he developed the concept of Electronics City. In 1978, Keonics established Electronics City on 332 acres of land in Konappana Agrahara and Doddathogur villages. The liberalisation of the Indian economy in the early 1990s by the then Indian Prime Minister P.V. Narasimha Rao and then Indian Finance Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh helped Electronic City to become what it is today — the outsourcing capital of the world.
In 1997, the maintenance and upkeep of Electronics City was handed over by Keonics to ELCIA, the Electronics City Industries Association, having representatives from units in the enclave, for effective local governance and management. On 18 March 2013, a notification by the Urban Development Department has brought Electronic City Phases I, II, III under the E-City Industrial Township Area.
Biotech Park Helix, has been set up by the Department of Bio Technology in Electronic City. Transport facility has seen commendable improvement over the last couple of years. BMTC buses to all parts of the city and BIAL ply through Electronic City. Several residential projects are being developed in the stretch between Neeladri Road and Thogur. Reputed educational institutions and medical facilities are located in Electronic City. We also have a Doddathougur road, which host all sorts of shops of daily need.
At the same time, electronic city also suffers from the apathy of the authorities responsible for its upkeep. The Neeladri road in Electronic city phase I and some areas in Phase II are in poor shape. This is especially true for the Neeldri area, where condition of the road is pathetic and most of the residential communities have no proper underground drainage.
The two-laned mixed corridor elevated highway from Silk Board Junction to Electronic City was opened on 22 Jan 2010. The 9.985 km long expressway is one of the longest elevated national highway in the country. This elevated stretch, promises to help a commuter reach Electronic City from Silk Board in less than 15 minutes. But recently, the lack of future planning is clearly evident while using this Elevated Expressway. Traffic jams on this stretch are now common, especially during the peak office hours.
The highway or Hosur Road, also has some buildings of some major IT players like BOSCH, Sasken, Convergys etc., along with showrooms of major auto manufacturers like Volvo, Audi, BMW, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen etc.
- International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore(IIIT-B)
- Achievers Academy
- ACTS Group of Institutions
- Brookfield High
- BTL Institute of Technology
- CDAC – Formerly NCST
- IFIM Business School (IFIM)
- IFIM College
- IHMR – Institute of Health Management Research
- Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB)
- International Institute of Information Technology-Bangalore
- ISBR Business School
- NTTF – Nettur Technical Training Foundation
- PES School Of Engineering (PESSE)
- Redbridge International Academy
- SIBM (Symbiosis Institute Of Business Management)
- TREAMIS World School
- Tadmore Academy
- WeSchool or Welingkar Institute of Management Development and Research, Bangalore
- Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship
- Alliance Business School
- Candor International School
- Christ Academy
- Ebenezer International School
- IZEE Business School
- Noble Institute of Education Society
- Sorsfort International School (SIS)
- SFS School and College
- VIBGYOR High
Some of the companies in Electronic City are:
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
- CGI Group
- Fanuc India
- General Electric
- GE Fanuc Systems
- HCL Technologies
- iGate Global
- Infosys Limited
- Tech Mahindra
- Siemens Information Systems Limited
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Tata Power Solar
- Tejas Networks
- Timken India Limited
- TUV Rheinland India Pvt Ltd
- Velankani Technology Park
- Wipro technologies
- 3M India
- Yokogawa India Limited
- Infotech Enterprises
- Happiest Minds
- Ninestar Motorcycles Bangalore Pvt ltd
- "Infrastructure of Electronics City". Keonics. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Keonics web site". Keonics. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Bangalore Helix". Dept. of IT, BT and S & T, Government Of Karnataka. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Electronics City.|