A view of the temple mandap at foot hill along with steps
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kundrathur is a suburb of the city of Chennai, Kancheepuram district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Famous Kundrathur Murugan Temple is located in this town. This is an upcoming neighborhood of Chennai Suburban area, people from places like Mylapore, Mambalam and Nanganallur are seen migrating here. It is also a lesser known fact that Kundrathur is home to Navagraha Temples of Chennai / Thondai Naadu.
There are many ancient Vedic shrines located here which have recently been studied by a team of researchers at Yale University.
The area is one of the 163 notified areas (megalithic sites) in the state of Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Poet Sekkizhar was born here and his birthplace was made into a Temple. He was the chief minister of Kulothunga Chozha II alias Anabaya. He withdrew from the ministry and wrote Periapuranam. His young brother Palaravayar dug a water tank near his residence, which is now called ‘’Palaravayar Kulam’’.
As of 2001[update] India census, Kundrathur had a population of 25,028. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Kundrathur has an average literacy rate of 72% (national average is 59.5%) male literacy is 79%, and female literacy is 64%. In Kundrathur, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. A lot of working population is migrating to this place as this is close to two of the major work hubs Viz Sriperumbudur & Thirumudivakkam (Industrial Belt) and Porur (IT Hub).
- CSI Risen Redeemer Church
- ACA Church
- Zion A.G Church
- Jesus Loves Mahanaim Church of God
- New Life A.G Church
- CPM Church
- MPA Church
Missionary Prayer Groups
- FMPB - Friends Missionary Prayer Band
- IMS - Indian Missionary Society
- CITY Mission
- GEMS - Gospel Echoing Missionary Society
A temple dedicated to Lord Murugan is situated on top of a hillock. This is the only Murugan temple in Tamil Nadu where the God is standing in a north-facing direction. This temple was constructed by King Kulothunga Chola - II. The specialty of this temple is that Lord Subramaniar can be seen only with one Goddess at a time even though he is there along with both the Goddesses. The Karthigai deepam festival celebration is famous here.
Sri Kamakshi Sametha Nageshwarar Temple
Sri Kamakshi Sametha Nageshwarar is the presiding deity here. The Nagabharanam around the lingam is considered Ragu here. This temple is also called Vada Thirunageshwaram. The temple also houses Kasi Viswanathar, Arunachaleshwarar in the inner praharam and in the outer praharam there is a temple for Lord Saneeswaran. This temple is also considered as one of the Navakailasams in Tamil Nadu.
Sri Nagaimukavalli Sametha Kandazheeswarar Temple
Surya prayed to Lord Shiva to get his power revived and hence the name. The Lord is seen as a huge Lingam and Goddess is seen facing South with the left foot forward, indicating that this temple is a parihara sthalam. Also the fact that the base of the shiva lingam is square in shape indicates the same. The unique feature of the temple gopuram is that it looks like an elephant's back which is seen in Kulothunga chozan architecture. The uniqueness of this temple is that Lord Bhairavar is seen in all three forms Gnana Bhairavar, Aghora Bhairavar and Swarna Akarshna Bhairavar.
Sri Thiru-Uraga Perumal Temple
Thiru-Uraga Perumal and Thiru Iruntha Valli: A Temple of Kulothunga Chozan Period dedicated to Lord Vishnu and his consort. The lord is seen in the standing posture. This temple is located just about 100 meters before the Murugan temple. The main deity, Thiru-Uraga Perumal, is seven feet tall. The inscriptions found inside the temple indicate that this was well patronized during the reign of the Vijayanagar dynasty also.
Sree Ponniamman Temple
This temple is situated about 600 m North of Vada Thirunageswaram Sivan Temple. The main deity is Chandi called Ponniamman a goddess with a 'Soolam' - 3 forked spear. This goddess is worshiped as family deity (Kula Deivam - each family in Hindus has one) by many families in and around Kundrathur. Adjacent to the temple there is pond belonging to Ponniamman Temple of about 1 acre area fenced with grills. Every year 'Theppothsavam' (Float Festival) is conducted. Paal Kudam - carrying milk in silver or brass pots overhead around the village from Thirunageswaram Sivan Temple to Sri Ponniamman Temple is also celebrated in grand manner every year.
- Kolapakkam- Suryan- Agastheeswarar Kovil
- Somangalam -Chandran -Somanaadeshwarar Kovil
- Poonamallee-Sevvai- Vaitheeswaran Kovil
- Gerugambakkam - Kethu- Neelakanteswar
- Porur - Guru - Ramanaadeshwarar
- Mangadu - Sukran - Velliswarar
- Kovur - Budhan - Sundreswarar
- Kundrathur - Raghu -Thirunageshwarar
- Pozhichalur - Saneeswarar - Agastheeswarar
Other Temples here would be:
- Sri Vembuliamman Temple
- Sri Amaratheeswarar Temple at Sirukalathur
- Sri Balambika Samedha Valeeswarar Temple on Natham Road
- Sri Ramanatheswarar temple at Sirukalathur
- Angala Paremeshwari Temple
- Boopala Vinayagar Temple
- Prasanna Venkatesa Perumal Temple
- Devi Mookambigai Temple
- Siddhi Buddhi Sametha Vinayagar Temple
- Kathyayani Amman Temple
- Balambiga Sametha Sadaiyandeeswarar Temple
- Round Table 30 Viveka
- Little Flower Nursery and Primary School
- Little Flower Matric. Hr. Sec. School
- Annai Pooranam Nursery & Primary School
- Chennai Institute of Technology, Sarathy Nagar, Kundrathur
- Madha Group of Educational Institutions, Kundrathur Main Road, Kundrathur
- Madha Medical College and Hospital, Thandalam-Kovur, near Kundrathur
- Madha College of Physiotherapy in Somamangalam
- St.Joseph College of Arts and Science, Kovur
- Sri Muthukumaran Group of institutions, Sikkarayapuram, near Mangadu
- SAICOM HITECH SOLUTIONS & SAICOM HITECH COMPUTER EDUCATION, KOVUR NEAR EB,CHENNAI
Sekkizhar Park and Sambandam Nagar Park are the two parks in the locality.
Hospitals & Pharmacy
- Dr. Nishar Child Specialist, Kundrathur
- Ayyappa Clinic, Kundrathur
- Smile Dental Clinic, Kundrathur
- Government Primary Health center, Kundrathur
- Madha Medical College & Hospital, Thandalam-Kovur
- Kanaga Hospital, Kovur
- St. Thomas Hospital, Madanandapuram
- Apollo Pharmacy operates 24 hours in Kundrathur.
- ayushman nature clinic
- Sri Lakshmi Child Care Center, Kundrathur
- Sri Muthukumaran medical college and research institute, Sikarapuram, Kuundrathur
- SAICOM HITECH SOLUTIONS & SAICOM COMPUTER EDUCATION, KOVUR,CHENNAI
- Madhavan, D. (20 December 2012). "National Institute of Siddha modifies expansion plan". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 23 Dec 2012.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.