|— city —|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 57|
Oddanchatram is a Municipality in Dindigul district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is located at the base of the western ghats (the tail end of the Palani Hills) in South India. It lies on the highway between Madurai-Coimbatore and Dindigul-Palani. It has a population of more than 85,000, with considerable migrant population from surrounding villages. Since before independence, there has been a train service to Oddanchatram. The Dindigul-Palani passenger train passes through Oddanchatram. The train station is currently functioning.
According to the 2005 India census, Oddanchatram has a population of 85498. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Oddanchatram has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 76%, and female literacy is 62%. In Oddanchatram, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Oddanchatram is popular not only in Tamilnadu but also in the nearby states of Kerala and Karnataka for its large supply of vegetables. These vegetables are supplied from Gandhi market . The daily market is based on farmers and commission agents.A large quantity of vegetables are transported every day from the town. The town is also famous for milk products such as ghee and buttermilk and you can also find cattle market which will be gathered out side the town only on Fridays. The majority of population works in agriculture. Goods transportation, by road and rail, is a growing economic sector.
Nearest Villages 
There are some small villages like Thummichampatti pudur,Odaipatti, Sakkampatti, P.K Valasu, Kuppanambalayam, Devathur, Pottikkampatty, Puduchatram, Palakkanuthu, Naganampaaty,Kalanjipatti, Athikombai, Renganathapuram,Salaipudur, Kallimandayam, Kosavapatty, Thangachiammapatty, Ambilikkai, Kaveriyamma patti, Raya Gouden Pudur, Periyakottai, P N valasu, Sriramapuram, Reddiarchattram, Kulipatty, K.Keeranur, Poruloor, Naalroad, Velayuthampalayam, C.K Valasu,Viruppachi, Gopalapuram, Chatrappatti, Pudukkottai, Dhasaripatti, Sindalaipatty,Naganampatty,Thirumalaigoundenvalasu.
In Oddanchatram there are two government Higher Secondary single-six schools, ten Government Primary Schools, five middle schools and about ten Matriculation schools. Regarding higher education, there are Christian Polytechnic, I.T.I. and Christian Engineering College. There is also a teacher-training institute. The most prominent schools in Oddanchatram are K.R.Government Boys Higher Secondary School, Government Girls Higher Secondary School, Christian Matriculation higher secondary school and Buds Flourishing Hindu Vidyalaya Matric Higher Secondary School. Sri Krishna Marticulation Higher Secondary School is becoming more popular among students and parents. This school already has over 1800 students, which was started in 2002. Akshaya Academy is another matriculation school which was started in 2002 and it is also popular in this town.
The Christian Fellowship Hospital also runs courses in GNM (General Nursing and Midwifery) and Several other paramedical fields. They also run Post Graduate degree courses for Doctors (DNB)National board of examinations in OG, Family Medicine, General Medicine, Pediatrics and recently in Rural Surgery. The Home Nurse Training program provides much needed Home Nurses every year.
- K.R. Govt. Higher Secondary School (oldest school in town, school place is donated by Mr. Kasthuri Reddiar)
- Govt. Girls Higher Secondary School
- R.C Loyola School
- Christian Matriculation Higher Secondary School (first English medium school in District)
- Buds Flourishing Hindu Vidyalaya Matric Higher Secondary School
- Thiruppathi arulneri Higher Secondary School -Kallimandayam
- Santhinikethan Hr Sec School -Ambilikkai
- Sri Krishna Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Aksahaiya Academy Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Manimegalai Elango High School-Devathur
- JRC-higher secondary school -Kothayam
- S.p.M Matriculation Higher Secondary School,kalanjipatti
- Chinnaiah Aided Primary School-Renganathapuram
- Govt Higher Secondary School, Muthunaickenpatty
- Vivekananda hr sec school, kalanjipatti
- Govt higher sec school, chatrappatti
- Govt girls higher sec school chatrappatti
- Govt high school, manjanayakkan patti
- Govt higher secondary school, Thirumalairayapuram
- Akshaya Academy Matriculation School, Kosavapatti
- Christian Polytechnic - Oddanchatram
- Christian Engg College - Oddanchatram
- Shakthi College
- Rev.Jacob Memorial Christian Arts & Science College- Ambillkkai.
The Christian Fellowship Hospital (CFH) is run by the Christian Fellowship, a charitable society that was established by a small group in 1955. It began as a small one-room clinic in response to certain perceived needs in an impoverished area. It was started with the charitable and benevolent purpose of promoting the spiritual, moral, mental and social advancement of the community in and around Oddanchatram. It aims to serve as a Christ-Centered witness through the ministry of healing the whole person, as well as being involved in the other developmental programmes of the community.
At present the hospital has 288 beds with major speciality departments. The outpatient department has an average attendance of 1000 patients daily. Over 2500 deliveries are conducted and over 4000 operations are done annually. The busy Intensive care unit is equipped for emergency care including coronary care. There is also a Pediatrics ICU and Nursery.
Mother Saradadevi Social Service Society founded in 1988 by a group of women headed by Mrs. M.Prasanna, is a registered voluntary organization working in the field of sexual and reproductive health among vulnerable groups.
There are orphanages - namely Goodwill Children's Home, Boy's Home (CFH) at Gandhinagar, and Kakkum Karargal in Kurinji Nagar Oddanchatram.
Metamorphisis of Oddanchatram 
Oddanchatram is an anorthosite area. It is emplaced into a granulite facies terrain commonly presumed to have undergone its last regional metamorphism in the late Archean about 2600 m.y. The surrounding country rock consists of basic granulites, charnockites and metasedimentary rocks including quartzites, pelites and calc-silicates. The anorthosite is clearly intrusive into the country rock and contains many large inclusions of previously deformed basic granulite and quartzite within 100 meters of its contact. Both this intrusion and the nearby Kaduvar anorthosite show evidence of having been affected by later metamorphism and deformation.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Oddanchatram|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies". Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-11.