New York City transit fares
The fares for services operated under the brands of MTA Regional Bus: (New York City Transit buses (NYC Bus), MTA Bus), New York City Subway (NYC Subway), Staten Island Railway (SIR), Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH), Roosevelt Island Tramway, AirTrain JFK and the suburban bus operators Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE) and Westchester County Bee-Line System (Bee-Line) are listed below.
Dollar bills and half-dollar coins are not accepted for fare payment on any buses that accept MetroCard, nor in fare payment stations for Select Bus Service buses. All fare payments must be made using MetroCard or coins (excluding half-dollars).
All fares are in US dollars.
|MTA Bus/NYC Bus: Local, Limited-Stop, Select Bus Service,
Bee-Line (except BxM4C bus), NICE, PATH
NYC Subway, SIR, Roosevelt Island Tramway
Atlantic Express X23/X24)
|BxM4C bus||Student MetroCard||AirTrain JFK||Access-A-Ride
($75 for a book of 20 tickets)
Unlimited ride MetroCard fares
All fares are in US dollars. There is a $1 purchase fee for all new MetroCard purchases within the subway system or at railroad stations (except for expiring or damaged MetroCards or MetroCards bought as part of a UniTicket).
|7-Day Unlimited||30-Day Unlimited||7-Day Express Bus Plus||10-Trip AirTrain JFK||30-Day AirTrain JFK|
All transfers with MetroCard are free from bus to subway, local bus to local bus, and subway to local bus. For transfers to express buses from local buses (except for the BxM4C), an additional US$3.50 is deducted from a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard. With coins, transfers are available to different local buses only, with some restrictions. All transfers are good for two hours. Transfers are available upon request when boarding only.
There are no transfers to the BxM4C.
SingleRide tickets are valid for one ride within two hours after purchase on local buses and the subway. One bus to bus transfer is allowed, no subway-bus or bus-subway transfer is allowed.
On the Select Bus Service routes: Bx12, Bx41, M15, M34, and M34A (except S79), customers paying with coins requiring a transfer must board via the front door and request a transfer from the operator. All other customers may board via any of the three doors on Select Bus Service buses only.
Bee-Line customers needing to transfer to Connecticut Transit (I-Bus and route 11), Transport of Rockland (Tappan ZEExpress), Putnam Transit (PART 2), or Housatonic Area Regional Transit (Ridgefield-Katonah Shuttle) services must ask for a transfer, even if paying with MetroCard. The BxM4C does not accept paper or MetroCard transfers, but it does issue transfers to/from other buses and the subway.
There are restrictions on transfers, as noted below:
Additional exceptions may be added on a case by case basis, usually due to construction making a regular transfer unavailable.
For Pay-per-Ride customers, there is no free transfer back onto the same route on which you paid your fare, or between the following buses:
- M1, M2, M3, M4: No transfer between uptown Madison Avenue and downtown 5 Avenue buses.
- M31 and M57: No transfer between eastbound and westbound buses along 57 Street. Transfers are available between buses travelling in the same direction, however.
- M96 and M106: No transfer between eastbound and westbound buses along 96 Street, even between buses travelling in the same direction.
- M101, M102, M103: No transfer between uptown 3rd Avenue and downtown Lexington Avenue buses.
- The Bronx:
- Bx1 and Bx2: No transfer between southbound and northbound buses on the Grand Concourse.
- Bx40 and Bx42: No transfer between eastbound and westbound buses along Tremont Avenue.
- No transfers between bus routes that aren't listed on the timetable of the route on which you paid your fare. In essence, one can't transfer between bus routes that don't intersect.
- No transfers from any route to the BxM4C, even with a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard. Transfers are valid, however, from the BxM4C.
There are no subway-to-bus or bus-to-subway transfers without a MetroCard allowed, with one exception:
- B42 customers traveling from south of Flatlands Avenue in Brooklyn to the Rockaway Parkway subway station are transported directly into the subway system without having to pass through turnstiles (as the former trolley line had a loop installed within fare control). Likewise, the B42 Rockaway Parkway Line departs the Rockaway Parkway subway station within subway fare control.
Below are the fares charged for single boardings on the transit lines and predecessors of the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA). Different combinations of transfer privileges and the abolition of double fares to the Rockaways have altered these fares from time to time. Since 1997, massively increased transfer privileges and pass discounts have lowered the average real fare significantly. According to MTA figures, only 2.1% of rides are single-ride fares.
- $0.05 (1904 – 1948)
- $0.10 (1948 – July 1, 1953) [buses 1948-1950 $0.07, 1950-1953 $.10]
- $0.15 (July 2, 1953 – 1966) [buses 1954-1955 $.13, 1956-1966 $.15]
- $0.20 (1966 – January 3, 1970)
- $0.30 (January 4, 1970 – December 31, 1971)
- $0.35 (January 1, 1972 – August 31, 1975) (MSBA/Long Island Bus from 1973)
- $0.50 (September 1, 1976 – June 27, 1980)
- $0.60 (June 28, 1980 – July 2, 1981)
- $0.75 (July 3, 1981 – January 1, 1984)
- $0.90 (January 2, 1984 – December 31, 1985)
- $1.00 (January 1, 1986 – December 31, 1989)
- $1.15 (January 1, 1990 – December 31, 1991)
- $1.25 (January 1, 1992 – November 11, 1995)
- $1.50 (November 12, 1995 – May 3, 2003)
- $2.00 (May 4, 2003 – June 27, 2009)
- $2.25 (June 28, 2009 – December 29, 2010)
- $2.25 (base fare), $2.50 (SingleRide ticket) (December 30, 2010 – March 2, 2013)
- $2.50 (base fare), $2.75 (SingleRide ticket) (March 3, 2013 – present)
- Unlimited Ride MetroCard
- http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte_BxM4C_TT_Spr13.pdf BxM4C schedule notes (page 2)
- http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html AirTrain JFK fare information
- http://www.nicebus.com/passenger_information/Fares_and_Passes/index.html NICE's fare and passes information
- http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html Path fares
- http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/howto_bus.htm "How to Ride the Bus", under 'Making Connections', MTA.info
- http://www.nicebus.com/_meta/routes_pdf/NICE-n6_MapSchedule.pdf NICE bus schedule for N6 (Local) and N6X (Express) - 'Fair Information' (page 2), nicebus.com
- http://transportation.westchestergov.com/fares-and-metrocard Bee-Line fares
- http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/rebuildingtheRockaways.htm "Rebuilding the Rockaways After Hurricane Sandy: Current Service", MTA.info
- http://web.mta.info/nyct/sir/sirfare.htm "MTA Staten Island Railway Fare and Transfer Information", MTA.info
- http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b062cur.pdf#page%2011 B62 schedule page 11, MTA.info
- http://new.mta.info/news/2012/12/13/free-transfer-staten-island-veterans "Free Transfer for Staten Island Veterans", 12/13/2013, MTA.info
- http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/NewQ70LimitedStopService_brochure.htm Q33 transfers, MTA.info
- http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfindex.htm "Reduced-Fare" information, MTA.info
- http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcCombinationValue.htm About the $1.00 New Card Fee, MTA.info
- http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#7day 7 day Unlimited ride price
- http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#30day 30 day Unlimited ride price
- http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#30express 7 day Express Bus Plus ride price
- http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#jfk10trip AirTrain JFK Unlimited ride price
- http://mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001cur.pdf QM1 schdeule fare information, page 2
- http://web.mta.info/nyct/sbs/#payBx41 Select Bus Service fare payment, MTA.info
- http://www.ibusexpress.com/fares/index.asp I-Bus fare structure
- http://web.archive.org/web/20120302022836/http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/schedules/TZX_Complete.pdf TappanZEExpress schedule, transfer connections (page 1)
- http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/SysMapENG28june.pdf Bee-Line bus map (page 1)
- http://www.hartransit.com/fares.htm HART "FIXED ROUTE FARES" under 'CONNECTING BUS SYSTEMS'
- http://huntingtonny.gov/content/13749/13863/17260/17204/17240/default.aspx HART fares
- http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ Out-of-system transfer detail, MTA.info
- http://mta.info/metrocard/termsreg.htm "Regular MetroCard Conditions of Use", MTA.info
- Wilson, Michael (March 24, 2009). "Who Buys Subway Rides One at a Time?". The New York Times. Retrieved May 20, 2010.