Panyu in Guangzhou
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||786.15 km2 (303.53 sq mi)|
|Population (2010 census)|
|• Density||2,245/km2 (5,810/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
|Guangdong Romanization||pun1 yu4 kêu1|
|Hanyu Pinyin||Pānyú Qū|
|Alternative Chinese name|
|Guangdong Romanization||pun1 yu4|
Panyu is a district of Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong province in southern China. It was formerly a county-level city before it became a district of Guangzhou. The name of Panyu dates back to the conquest of Guangdong by Qin Shi Huang. It was the old name of present-day Guangzhou. The district covers an area of about 661.88 square kilometres (255.55 sq mi).
Panyu lies at the heart of the Pearl River Delta, its boundary straddles from latitudes 22.26' to 23.05', and sprawls from longitudes 113.14' to 113.42'. Facing the Lion Sea in the east and the estuary of the Pearl River in the south, its eastern border is separated from the Dongguan by a strip of water, and the western border of Panyu is adjacent to the cities of Nanhai, Shunde and Zhongshan, while it abuts the downtown of Guangzhou in the north. The site of the People's government of Panyu is Shiqiao which is 17 kilometres (11 mi) from downtown Guangzhou and 38 and 42 nautical miles (70 and 78 km) from the cities of Hong Kong and Macao respectively.
There are at least 11 speculations on the etymology of the name. Established in the Qin Dynasty in 214 BC, Panyu is one of the oldest cities in China. It became the capital of Nanyue in 204 BC. The archaeological evidence states that it was a burgeoning commercial center: among the present material object remnants there are those of Southeast Asian, Indian and even African origin.
As of April 28, 2005, the new district of Nansha (南沙) was established out of parts of Panyu.
Panyu is twinned with:
|Name||Chinese (S)||Hanyu Pinyin||Guangdong Romanization|
|Shiqiao Subdistrict||市桥街道||Shìqiáo Jiēdào||xi5 kiu4 gai1 dou6|
|Shawan Subdistrict||沙湾街道||Shāwān Jiēdào||sa1 wan1 gai1 dou6|
|Zhongcun Subdistrict||钟村街道||Zhōngcūn Jiēdào||zung1 qun1 gai1 dou6|
|Shibi Subdistrict||石壁街道||Shíbì Jiēdào||ség6 big1 gai1 dou6|
|Dashi Subdistrict||大石街道||Dàshí Jiēdào||dai6 ség6 gai1 dou6|
|Luopu Subdistrict||洛浦街道||Luòpǔ Jiēdào||log6 pou2 gai1 dou6|
|Dalong Subdistrict||大龙街道||Dàlóng Jiēdào||dai6 lung4 gai1 dou6|
|Donghuan Subdistrict||东环街道||Dōnghuán Jiēdào||dung1 wan4 gai1 dou6|
|Qiaonan Subdistrict||桥南街道||Qiáonán Jiēdào||kiu4 nam4 gai1 dou6|
|Shatou Subdistrict||沙头街道||Shātóu Jiēdào||sa1 teo4 gai1 dou6|
|Xiaoguwei Subdistrict||小谷围街道||Xiǎogǔwéi Jiēdào||xiu2 gug1 wei4 gai1 dou6|
|Nancun Town||南村镇||Náncūn Zhèn||nam4 qun1 zan3|
|Xinzao Town||新造镇||Xīnzào Zhèn||sen1 lung4 zou6 zan3|
|Hualong Town||化龙镇||Huàlóng Zhèn||fa3 lung4 zan3|
|Shilou Town||石楼镇||Shílóu Zhèn||ség6 leo4 zan3|
|Shiqi Town||石碁镇||Shíqí Zhèn||ség6 kéi4 zen3|
|Shawan Town||沙湾镇||Shāwān Zhèn||saa1 waan1 zan3|
- Lianhuashan (莲花山镇)
- Xinken (新垦镇)
- Tanzhouu (潭洲镇)
- Yuwotou (鱼窝头)
- Huangge (黄阁镇)
- Hengli (横沥镇)
- Wanqingsha (万顷沙镇)
- Dongyong (东涌镇)
- Dagang (大岗镇)
- Lanhe (榄核镇)
Under its various Subdistricts and Towns (and in the one Development zone), Panyu has 305 administration villages - i.e. 305 village governments. There are other 'natural villages' (自然村) which administratively count as being in one or another of the official villages.
Statistics shows that in the year of 1998, the GDP in the district was 33.25 billion yuan, an increase of 13% over the previous year, and the GDP per capita was 35.5 thousand Yuan, an increase of 11%, compared with the previous year.
Panyu Public Transport operates buses in the district.
Panyu is currently service by three metro lines operated by Guangzhou Metro:
- - Luoxi, Nanpu, Huijiang, Shibi, Guangzhou South Station ()
- - Xiajiao, Dashi, Hanxi Changlong (), Shiqiao, Panyu Square
- - Higher Education Mega Center North, Higher Education Mega Center South (), Xinzao, Guanqiao (not open), Shiqi, Haibang, Dichong, Qingsheng (not open)
- (u/c) - Guangzhou South Station (), Shibinan, Xiecun, Zhongcun, Hanxi Changlong (), Hezhuang, Guantang, Jinkeng, Shitou Station, Higher Education Mega Center South()
- Yuyin Mount Garden：One of the four famous gardens in Guangdong Province in the Qing Dynasty.
- Baomo Garden
- Lianhuashan Wonderland
- Changlong Night Zoo
- Xiangjiang Wildlife World
- Chime-Long Paradise
Major educational institutions
People born in or with family links to the Panyu District:
- Often mispronounced as Fanyu
- Susan N. Erickson, Yi Song-mi, and Michael Nylan. "The archaeology of the outlying lands" in Nylan-Loewe, China's Early Empires, 2010:163.
- "Panyu District (番禺区)". National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. 2013. Retrieved March 17, 2014. (Chinese)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Panyu District.|
- Panyu Panyu District official website
- Photos of Panyu, courtesy of Vince K. Chan
- Panyu Travel Guide
- 'Red Diamond', on Panyu's diamond processing industry, by Venkatesan Vembu, Daily News & Analysis, 11 March 2007