View of Ataşehir
Location of Ataşehir in Istanbul
|Coordinates: Coordinates: -|
|• Mayor||Battal İlgezdi (CHP)|
|• Governor||Turgut Çelenkoğlu|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Ataşehir is a modern suburban district of Istanbul, Turkey. It is located at the junction of the O-2 and O-4 motorways in the Anatolian part of Istanbul. Before 2009, present district was divided between ones of Kadıköy, Üsküdar, Ümraniye and Kartal. Its neighbours are Ümraniye from north, Sancaktepe from northeast, Maltepe from east, Kadıköy from south and Üsküdar from west.
The housing development is designed to include 18,000 skyscraper condominiums offering luxury residences for 80,000 people with higher incomes. Ataşehir, hosting headquarters and offices of companies, is also a business and trading centre. Facilities such as tennis courts, gyms and cinemas make it a popular sports and leisure place. Ataşehir was awarded the Habitat prize.
As of 2006, 8596 housing units were present within the site, housing approximately 35,000 people. Completed projects in the area are the Kentplus Ataşehir, Agaoglu MyWorld, UpHill and Ataşehir Residence blocks.
Unlike in Bahçeşehir, another satellite city in West side of Istanbul, no single-family house types are designed for the site. Most buildings are high rise blocks, and some around the main public square can be considered skyscrapers. Another difference between the two developments is that Ataşehir lacks recreational areas on the same scale as Bahçeşehir.
For private car owners the subdivision is: 10 minutes from the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge, 3 minutes from Highway D-100 and the İzmit-Ankara Trans-European Motorway (TEM), 15 minutes from Bağdat Avenue, the upper-class high street of Kadıköy district, and 20 minutes from Sabiha Gökçen Airport, the second international airport of Istanbul.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "İstanbul'un yeni 'İlçe' haritası çizildi" (in Turkish). Municipality of Istanbul. 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Information on Ataşehir district" (in Turkish). Governorship of Istanbul. 2009. Archived from the original on 2010-02-21. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ataşehir.|
- District municipality's official website (Turkish)