British Rail Class 333
|British Rail Class 333|
|In service||2001 - present|
|Built at||Zaragoza, Spain|
|Constructed||2000 - 2003|
|Refurbished||2018 - 2020|
|Number built||16 sets|
|Formation||4 carriages per set (DMSO-PTSO-TSO-DMSO)|
|Depot(s)||Neville Hill TMD|
|Car length||23.74 metres (77 ft 11 in) (DMSO)|
23.35 metres (76 ft 7 in) (TSO, PTSO)
|Maximum speed||100 mph (160 km/h)|
|Power output||1.4 MW (1,900 hp)|
|Electric system(s)||25 kV 50 Hz AC Overhead|
|Current collection method||Pantograph|
|Multiple working||Within Class|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The British Rail Class 333 are electric multiple unit passenger trains built by CAF with traction equipment supplied by Siemens Transportation Systems between 2000 and 2003 for Northern Spirit (later Arriva Trains Northern). All have passed to subsequent franchises and subsequent operators Northern Rail, Arriva Rail North and Northern Trains.
In March 1998, Angel Trains ordered 16 three-carriage sets from Siemens Transportation Systems for Northern Spirit to replace the slam-door Class 308s on the Airedale and Wharfedale lines from Leeds to Bradford Forster Square, Ilkley and Skipton. Construction of the trains was sub-contracted to CAF with Siemens providing the traction equipment.
In April 2000, a further eight trailer carriages were ordered with funding from West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive and inserted into the first eight sets in 2002. Subsequently a further order was placed with funding from the Strategic Rail Authority to increase the remaining sets to four carriages. These were delivered in 2003.
However, the funding for the fourth carriages in the latter eight sets expired in 2007 and as a consequence of this they could have been removed. Had this happened the four-car Class 321s would have been removed from Leeds to Doncaster services. As a result, the fourth cars were funded by the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive, despite not running in South Yorkshire, to ensure that four-car units are available on Doncaster services.
In 2008, all were repainted into a new livery by Wabtec at Doncaster Works that incorporated West Yorkshire Metro branding. Between December 2018 and April 2020, all were refurbished by Chrysalis Rail, Holbeck and repainted into Arriva Rail North and later Northern Trains livery.
The units are capable of 100 mph (160 km/h), but the maximum speed on their routes is 90 mph (140 km/h). They have standard class only 2+3 high-density seating, and each set has one toilet.
|Class||Operator||No. Built||Year Built||Cars per Set||Unit nos.||Formation|
|Class 333||Northern Trains||16||2000-2003||4||333001–333016||DMSO-PTSO-TSO-DMSO|
The original Northern Spirit livery on 333011
333004 on a Skipton service.
A Class 333 in the original Northern Spirit livery.
- "Regional Passenger Trains Angel Trains". www.angeltrains.co.uk. Archived from the original on 27 March 2019. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "NORTHERN SPIRIT". CAF. Archived from the original on 2 July 2012. Retrieved 2 June 2021.
- "SUBURBAN TRAIN NORTHERN SPIRIT". CAF. Archived from the original on 1 June 2021. Retrieved 13 May 2021.
- "West Yorkshire's new trains to be of Heathrow Express quality". The Railway Magazine. No. 1165. May 1998. p. 9.
- "World Update". Railway Age: 31. September 1998.
- "HEx clones for Leeds triangle". Modern Railways. No. 595. April 1998. p. 213.
- "Arriva's Northern Spirit Class 333 EMU is delivered". Rail. No. May 379. 22 March 2000. p. 7.
- First Class 333 arrives The Railway Magazine issue 1189 May 2000 page 39
- "Class 333s in service at last". The Railway Magazine. No. 1199. March 2001. p. 11.
- "Electric Multiple Unit Class 333, UK". Siemens. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015.
- Class 333 order strengthened Rail Express issue 47 April 2000 page 9
- £12m investment in new train carriages Telegraph & Argus 21 March 2002
- All eight 333 trailers in traffic Rail issue 436 29 May 2002 page 58
- First 333 trailer arrives as SRA confirms eight more Rail issue 426 9 January 2002 page 54
- New Class 333 trailers arrive Rail issue 464 25 June 2003 page 13
- Overcrowding fears if rail carriages on loan are recalled Wharfedale Observer 23 November 2006
- Boost for Ilkley and Skipton travellers Telegraph & Argus 28 April 2007
- Hill, Neville (May 2015). "0-60!". Rail Express. No. 228. p. 27. ISSN 1362-234X.
- EMU to be Reliveried Rail issue 597 30 July 2008 page 67
- First refurbished Northern 333 in service Today's Railways UK issue 208 April 2019 page 67
- Refreshed Northern Class 333 Railways Illustrated May 2019 page 14
- Final refurbished 333 released Rail Express issue 289 June 2020 page 27
- Class 333 makes its debut Railway Gazette International 1 May 2000
Media related to British Rail Class 333 at Wikimedia Commons