Jones playing for Aldershot Town in 2010
|Full name||Darren Lee Jones|
|Date of birth||26 August 1983|
|Place of birth||Newport, Wales|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|2002–2003||→ Forest Green Rovers (loan)||15||(0)|
|2003||→ Cheltenham Town (loan)||14||(1)|
|2006–2009||Forest Green Rovers||118||(7)|
|2015–2016||Forest Green Rovers||10||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:53, 6 March 2018 (UTC)|
Born in Newport, Wales, Jones began his career as a professional trainee for Bristol City, making one Football League appearance before joining Forest Green Rovers on loan in September 2002. He was then loaned to League Two side Cheltenham Town in 2003, where he made 14 league appearances.
He dropped down in to non league football and signed for Newport County on a free transfer in early 2004. Jones and fellow Newport County footballer Andrew Thomas were jailed for two months for an assault outside a Newport nightclub in November 2005.
On his release from prison, Jones returned to Forest Green Rovers for a second spell in March 2006. Jones was a pivotal part in keeping Rovers in the Conference on his return to Forest Green and was a central part in the defence when Rovers recorded their highest ever finish in the 2007–08 season.
On 9 June 2009, it was confirmed that Darren had signed for recently relegated League Two side Hereford United for the 2009–10 season. In June 2010 Jones moved on again, joining fellow League Two side Aldershot Town.
In early June 2012, Aldershot confirmed that Jones had rejected their offer of a new contract, instead choosing to sign for a "recently promoted League One side."
On 8 June 2012, Jones signed for Shrewsbury Town, having worked with manager Graham Turner before at Hereford. Despite two seasons captaining the Shots, he claimed the move to Shrewsbury was a "No Brainer".  Jones made his debut for Shrewsbury as the League One newcomers lost 1–0 at Sheffield United.
Jones made 38 appearances for Shrewsbury in the 2012–13 season, scoring once against Coventry City, however his season ended prematurely after suffering a dislocated shoulder in an away match at Carlisle United in March 2013.
On 20 May 2014 Jones re-signed for Newport County. He made his debut for Newport versus Wycombe Wanderers on 9 August 2014. He scored his first competitive goal for Newport in the 3–2 win versus Northampton Town on 13 September 2014. He was offered a new contract by Newport County in May 2015 but chose to move on.
On 15 May 2015, it was announced that he would be leaving Newport County, making a return to the Conference National with Forest Green Rovers on a one-year deal. He made his third debut for Forest Green in a 2–1 win over Bromley on 31 August 2015. Having made only 10 league appearances, it was revealed that he had left the club on 24 January 2016.
Jones played for Wales at youth level.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 224. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Jones signs Robins deal". BBC. 17 May 2002. Retrieved 17 May 2002.
- "Addison shuffles pack". BBC. 25 September 2002. Retrieved 25 September 2002.
- "Gould grateful to board". BBC. 26 August 2003. Retrieved 26 August 2003.
- "Jones signs for Newport". BBC. 24 February 2004. Retrieved 24 February 2004.
- "BBC SPORT - Football - My Club - Forest Green Rovers - Forest Green complete Jones deal". news.bbc.co.uk.
- "Forest Green complete Jones deal". BBC. 2 March 2006. Retrieved 2 March 2006.
- "Defender Jones signs for Hereford". BBC. 11 June 2009. Retrieved 11 June 2009.
- http://www.shrewsburytown.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10443~2833197,00.html[permanent dead link]
- "Town land central defender Jones". Shrewsbury Town F.C. Retrieved 8 June 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "BBC Sport – Shrewsbury Town 4–1 Coventry City" BBC Sport. 18 September 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "BBC Sport – Shrewsbury Town: Injured Darren Jones to miss rest of season" BBC Sport. 4 April 2013. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Jones leaves Shrewsbury".
- "Double delight at New Signings for County".
- "Forest Green Rovers sign Darren Jones and Delano Sam-Yorke". BBC Sport. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Forest Green 2–1 Bromley". BBC Sport. 31 August 2015.
- "Forest Green confirm departure of Darren Jones as defender reveals his exit on Twitter". Stroud News & Journal. 24 January 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Darren Jones: Newport County re-sign Forest Green Rovers defender". BBC Sport. 25 January 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "Darren Jones agrees new contract to stay at Newport County". South Wales Argus.
- "Newport County defender announces his departure". South Wales Argus.
- "Former Newport County AFC hero Darren Jones becomes manager of Chepstow Town".
- Darren Jones at Soccerbase