Gareth Thomas (English politician)
|Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs|
8 October 2013 – September 2015
|Preceded by||Emma Reynolds|
|Chair of the Co-operative Party|
Assumed office |
10 July 2001
|Preceded by||Jim Lee|
|Minister of State for International Development|
5 October 2008 – 13 May 2010
|Prime Minister||Gordon Brown|
|Preceded by||Hilary Benn|
|Succeeded by||Alan Duncan|
|Member of Parliament |
for Harrow West
Assumed office |
1 May 1997
|Preceded by||Robert Gurth Hughes|
|Shadow Minister for Local Government|
Assumed office |
7 October 2016
|Preceded by||Position Established|
15 July 1967|
Harrow, London, England
|Political party||Labour Co-operative|
Aberystwyth University, |
University of Greenwich,
King's College London
Gareth Richard Thomas (born 15 July 1967) is a British Labour Co-operative politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Harrow West since 1997 and the Chair of the Co-operative Party since 2001. Thomas held the position of Minister of State at the Department for International Development and, following the 2010 election, joined the shadow frontbench team.
Thomas attended Hatch End High School on Headstone Lane in Hatch End, then Lowlands College in Harrow. At the University College of Wales Aberystwyth he gained a BSc in Economics in 1988 and later a PGCE from the Thames Polytechnic in 1992. He gained an MA in Imperial and Commonwealth Studies from King's College London in 1996 and became a teacher.
Gareth Thomas is Chair of the Co-operative Party and served as President of the 2003 Co-operative Congress. He was appointed Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for International Development in 2003 and sponsored the Industrial and Provident Societies Act through Parliament.
After 29 June 2007 reshuffle he remained at International Development whilst also being part of the new Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, being appointed as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Trade Policy and Consumer Affairs. He had the responsibility of co-ordinating trade policy between the two departments.
Following Gordon Brown's reshuffle of 3 October 2008, Thomas was promoted to Minister of State in both departments, taking on the portfolio of Trade, Investment and Consumer Affairs. In the June 2009 reshuffle DBERR was abolished, leaving Thomas to continue his role solely at International Development, with responsibility for Consumer Affairs passing to Kevin Brennan.
In May 2010 he was re-elected as Member of Parliament for Harrow West with a reduced majority (based on a notional 2005 result). He was Shadow Minister for Higher Education and Science from October 2010 to October 2011, Shadow Minister for Civil Society from October 2011 to October 2013 and then served as the Shadow Minister for Europe until October 2014. He now holds the position of Shadow Minister for Africa and the Middle East. In addition he is Deputy Shadow Minister for London.
In the 2017 general election he was re-elected as the Member of Parliament for Harrow West with a substantially increased majority of 13,314.
- "Opposition Front Bench". The Labour Party. Archived from the original on 5 June 2010.
- Stone, Jon (15 May 2015). "Labour MP Gareth Thomas joins the race to be his party's London Mayor candidate". Independent. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "Congress Presidents 1869–2002" (PDF). February 2002. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 May 2008. Retrieved 10 May 2008.
- "Smoking ban passes first test". BBC. 14 April 2003. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Gareth R Thomas MP". Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform. Archived from the original on 14 October 2008. Retrieved 21 September 2008.
- "Harrow West parliamentary constituency – Election 2015 – BBC News". BBC Online. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gareth Thomas.|
- Official website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Contributions in Parliament during 2006–07 2007–08 2008–09 2009–10 at Hansard Archives
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Find Your MP | Harrow West | Gareth Thomas – BBC News
- Biography: Gareth R Thomas MP – Department for International Development
- Gareth R Thomas MP – Portfolio, Biography, Speeches – Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Robert Gurth Hughes
| Member of Parliament for Harrow West
(Resigned from post)
| Minister of State at the Department for International Development