David Joyce (politician)
|Member of the
U.S. House of Representatives
from Ohio's 14th district
January 3, 2013
|Preceded by||Steve LaTourette|
|39th Prosecutor of Geauga County, Ohio|
January 5, 1988 – January 3, 2013
|Preceded by||Craig Albert|
|Succeeded by||Jim Flaiz|
|Born||David Patrick Joyce
March 17, 1957
|Spouse(s)||Kelly Joyce (1990– )|
|Alma mater||University of Dayton|
David Patrick "Dave" Joyce (born March 17, 1957) is an American politician who has been the United States Representative for Ohio's 14th congressional district since 2013. An attorney, Joyce was previously the Prosecutor of Geauga County, Ohio. He is a member of the Republican Party.
Early life and Education
Dave Joyce was born in Cleveland, Ohio, to a devout Irish Catholic family. His father was a coal salesman. In high school, he played football, and considered joining the priesthood. In 1975, Joyce enrolled at the University of Dayton, a Catholic university in Dayton, Ohio, from which he received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1979, and later a Juris Doctor.
Prosecutor of Geauga County
In 1989, Joyce worked with Lake County Prosecutor Steven C. LaTourette to charge serial murderer and Cult leader Jeffrey Lundgren with the Kirtland cult killings. In 2005, Joyce earned the Family Friendly Workplace Award from the Ohio State Women’s Bar Association.
U.S. House of Representatives
In July 2012, U.S. Congressman Steve LaTourette of Ohio's 14th congressional district announced that he would be retiring in 2012, rather than seek re-election. Joyce was appointed as the replacement nominee on the Republican ticket.
Joyce ran in the November general election against perennial Democratic Party candidate Dale Virgil Blanchard, Libertarian David Macko and Green Party candidate Elaine Mastromatteo. Joyce won the election with 54% of the vote.
- Committee on Appropriations
In 2014, Joyce introduced the Safe Streets Act with Congresswoman Doris Matsui. The bill would nationalize transportation "design elements" so that streets would be designed with the safety of drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists in mind.
Joyce was ranked as the 29th most bipartisan member of the U.S. House of Representatives during the 114th United States Congress (and the most bipartisan member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio) in the Bipartisan Index created by The Lugar Center and the McCourt School of Public Policy that ranks members of the United States Congress by their degree of bipartisanship (by measuring the frequency each member's bills attract co-sponsors from the opposite party and each member's co-sponsorship of bills by members of the opposite party).
Dave married Kelly in 1990. They live in Russell Township with their three children: Trenton, KK, and Bridey. He is a member of the National District Attorney Association and the Ohio Prosecuting Attorney Association. He is also Director of the Geauga Bluecoats Inc.
|2012||U.S. House of Representatives||General||Dave Joyce||Republican||183,660||54%||Dale V. Blanchard||Democratic||131,638||39%||Elaine Mastromatteo||Green||13,038||4%||David Macko||Libertarian||11,536||3%||*|
*Write-in candidates Aaron Zurbrugg received 6 votes (<1%), Erick Robinson received 0 votes, and Steven Winfield received 0 votes.
|2014||U.S. House of Representatives||General||Dave Joyce||Republican||135,736||63%||Michael Wager||Democratic||70,856||33%||David Macko||Libertarian||7,988||4%||*|
- David Joyce, R (Ohio-14) : Roll Call
- "Ohio, 14th House District". National Journal. Atlantic Media Company. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Northeast Ohio GOP leaders choose David Joyce to replace outgoing Rep. Steve LaTourette on ballot (updated) | cleveland.com
- Sherman, Jake (2012-07-30). "Steve LaTourette blames polarizing climate for departure". Politico. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Gomez, Henry (10 August 2012). "Northeast Ohio GOP leaders choose David Joyce to replace outgoing Rep. Steve LaTourette on ballot". Cleveland.com. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "2012 Ohio House Results". Politico. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Martin, Aaron. "Bipartisan measure would improve road safety". Ripon Advance. February 10, 2014. (Retrieved 02-11-14).
- The Lugar Center - McCourt School Bipartisan Index (PDF), The Lugar Center, March 7, 2016, retrieved April 30, 2017
- Geauga County Prosecutor - About the Prosecutor
- "Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- "Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 2015-01-26.
- Congressman David Joyce official U.S. House website
- David Joyce at DMOZ
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Legislation sponsored at The Library of Congress
|United States House of Representatives|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Ohio's 14th congressional district
January 3, 2013 – present
|United States order of precedence (ceremonial)|
|United States Representatives by seniority
Joseph P. Kennedy III