A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member-elect of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Michigan's 8th district
January 3, 2019
|Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs|
November 14, 2014 – January 20, 2017
|Preceded by||Derek Chollet|
|Succeeded by||Kenneth Handelman (Acting)|
|Born||July 10, 1976|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||Cornell University (BA)|
Columbia University (MA)
|Awards||Secretary of Defense Medal for Outstanding Public Service|
Early life and education
She received a B.A. from Cornell University and an M.A. from Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs. She returned to Holly, where she registered a small consulting business.
Assistant Secretary of Defense
U.S. House of Representatives
In July 2017, Slotkin announced her candidacy for the 8th District. She has stated that she was motivated to challenge two-term Republican incumbent Mike Bishop when she saw him smile at a White House celebration after he and the Republicans in the House of Representatives voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
In November 2018, Slotkin defeated Bishop with 50.6% of the vote. She will be the first Democrat to represent this district since 2001. The last Democrat to hold the seat, Debbie Stabenow, retired to make a successful run for the United States Senate. Her victory, and that of Haley Stevens in the neighboring 11th District meant that there will be no Republicans representing Oakland County in the House for the first time since the 1930s.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Her husband Dave Moore retired as a Colonel after 30 years in the U.S. Army. He served as an Apache helicopter pilot in the First Gulf War, Korea, Kosovo, and served two tours during Operation Iraqi Freedom, where they met in Baghdad. They live in Slotkin's hometown of Holly.
Slotkin has two stepdaughters who serve as an Army officer and a physician.
- "Democratic ex-CIA analyst Elissa Slotkin defeats Republican Rep. Mike Bishop to claim a Michigan congressional seat". Associated Press. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Candidate Conversation - Elissa Slotkin (D) | News & Analysis | Inside Elections". www.insideelections.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "WAR on TERROR w/CC: 1-13-17. Pentagon Press Update on Battle Against Violent Terrorist Groups". YouTube.
- "13 Jan, 2017 #Pentagon Presser with Elissa Slotkin on #Raqqa 1 of 5". YouTube.
- Hogan, John. "Elissa Slotkin". Aspen Security Forum. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "The Russian Bear on the Prowl". YouTube. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Former U.S. Defense official Elissa Slotkin announces Congressional run". MLive.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Democrat Elissa Slotkin tells of mother's ovarian cancer in new ad". Retrieved 2018-10-24.