|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Florida's 6th district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Ron DeSantis|
Michael George Glen Waltz
January 31, 1974
Boynton Beach, Florida, U.S.
|Education||Virginia Military Institute (BA)|
|Branch/service||United States Army|
|Unit||U.S. Army Special Forces|
|Battles/wars||War in Afghanistan|
Michael George Glen Waltz (born January 31, 1974) is a U.S. Army officer and American politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Florida's 6th congressional district. He is a member of the Republican Party.
A U.S. Army National Guard Special Forces officer, he is a veteran of the War in Afghanistan and is the first Green Beret ever elected to the United States Congress. Before his election to Congress, Waltz served in a senior role at The Pentagon as Director for Afghanistan policy within the Office of the Secretary of Defense, served as a senior advisor to Vice President Dick Cheney for South Asia and Counterterrorism in the George W. Bush Administration, was co-founder and partner at Askari Associates, LLC, and was president of Metis Solutions. He was formerly a FOX News Channel contributor, providing expert commentary on foreign policy and defense issues, and has also appeared frequently on CNN, MSNBC, BBC World News, and PBS Frontline.
U.S. House of Representatives
2018 General election
- Committee on Armed Services
- Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
- For Country Caucus
- Army Caucus
- Special Forces Caucus
- Shipbuilding Caucus
- Motorsports Caucus
- Republican Study Committee
- American Flood Coalition
- Afghanistan Caucus
- Taiwan Caucus
- Florida Ports Caucus
- Kurdish Caucus
- "Retired Lt. Col. Michael Waltz announces run for Congress". washingtontimes.com. Retrieved August 28, 2019.
- VMI Grad Elected to Florida Congress
- "Representative Michael Waltz". Representative Michael Waltz. Retrieved 2019-01-04.
- "Matchup between ex-Cheney aide and ex-Clinton aide set in Florida's 6th". The Washington Post. 2018-08-27. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- Mark Harper. "Big money aids Nancy Soderberg, Michael Waltz in District 6 congressional race - News - The St. Augustine Record - St. Augustine, FL". Staugustine.com. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Republican Michael Waltz wins open Florida House seat, keeping 6th District in GOP control". SFGate. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Special forces: How Mike Waltz defeated the national left - Florida Politics". floridapolitics.com. Retrieved 2018-11-11.
- Cite error: The named reference
Primary Electionwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- Cite error: The named reference
General Electionwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Legislation sponsored at the Library of Congress
|U.S. House of Representatives|
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Florida's 6th congressional district
|U.S. order of precedence (ceremonial)|
Jeff Van Drew
| United States Representatives by seniority
|116th||Senate: M. Rubio • R. Scott||House: A. Hastings • M. Díaz-Balart • D. Wasserman Schultz • V. Buchanan • G. Bilirakis • K. Castor • B. Posey • T. Deutch • D. Webster • F. Wilson • L. Frankel • T. Yoho • C. Crist • V Demings • N. Dunn • M. Gaetz • A. Lawson • B. Mast • S. Murphy • F. Rooney • J. Rutherford • D. Soto • D. Mucarsel-Powell • D. Shalala • R. Spano • G. Steube • M. Waltz|