Khan at an event for Khoobsurat in 2014
29 November 1981 |
|Spouse(s)||Sadaf Khan (m. 2005)|
Fawad Afzal Khan (born 29 November 1981) is a Pakistani actor and singer. As a singer, he was one of the members of the band Entity Paradigm, an alternative rock band based in Lahore. Their debut album Irtiqa was released in 2003, but the band was dissolved in 2007.
Khan made his film debut with a supporting role in the 2007 Pakistani movie Khuda Kay Liye. He went on to garner popularity with lead roles in the television shows Dastaan (2010), Humsafar (2011) and Zindagi Gulzar Hai (2012). Khan made his Bollywood debut with the leading role of a prince in the 2014 romantic comedy Khoobsurat, for which he won the Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut. In 2016, he received unanimous praise for his portrayal of a troubled writer in the family drama Kapoor & Sons, which also emerged as a major commercial success.
Fawad Afzal Khan was born in Karachi but his family is originally from Lahore. His father spent the earlier years of his life living abroad with his family in Dubai, Riyadh and then Manchester during the Gulf War. He moved back to Lahore when Fawad was aged 15. According to Khan, he is of Punjabi and Pashtun ancestry. By age 20, Khan could play the guitar, bass and drums. He put his voice to use as the lead singer of the band Entity Paradigm. Khan obtained his A-levels from the Lahore Grammar School (LGS) and went on to complete his bachelor's degree in computer engineering from the National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (NUCES) in Lahore. His first performance was amateur acting in a theater play called Spartacus during A-level in 1999.
Khan married Sadaf Khan on 12 November 2005 after a courtship of 8 years. He has one son with his wife Sadaf. Khan, in collaboration with his wife, established a clothing brand called SILK by Fawad Khan, the debut collection was launched in August 2012 at Lahore. Khan, developed Diabetes mellitus type 1 at the age of 17 after he met with an accident that damaged his pancreas.
Work in Pakistan (2000-present)
Khan's first television appearance was in a TV series called Jutt and Bond. Khan's cinematic debut was in 2007 from the movie Khuda Kay Liye, which was the highest-grossing Pakistani film of 2007. He later appeared in Anjum Shehzad's travel adventure drama series Satrangi.
In 2010, he played the role of Hassan in period drama Dastaan, for which he earned critical acclaim. Khan worked in Kuch Pyar Ka Pagalpan and Akbari Asghari after Dastaan. In 2011, Khan played the role of Asher Hussain in a popular drama Humsafar' for which he won the Lux Award for best actor in 2012'. Khan next appeared in the drama Ashk which received a negative review from Express Tribune columnnist.
In 2012, Khan played the role of Zaroon Junaid, a member from an affluent family opposite Sanam Saeed in Zindagi Gulzar Hai. For this role, he won Best Actor award for his role at Best Actor-Popular award at the Hum Awards and Best Actor satellite at Lux Style Awards  Sanam Saeed and Khan won the Best Onscreen Couple award in both popular and jury categories at the Hum Awards. His last drama was Numm, broadcast in 2013. He later went on to work in telefilms, Behadd, and Armaan.
Khan's has walked for Munib Nawaz in 2010, Umar Sayeed in 2012, and for Republic by Omar Farooq in 2015. Recently, Khan was made brand ambassador of the Indian brand Giovanni. Khan co-hosted 14th Lux Style Awards held on 30th Sep, 2015 in Karachi, with Mahira Khan. He has also been voted among the sexiest males in Asia.
Khan was supposed to make his Bollywood debut soon after Khuda Kay Liye was released. But due to unstable political situation between Pakistan and India after Mumbai attacks things could not materialize.
In 2014, Khan made his debut in Bollywood in Shashanka Ghosh's Khoobsurat opposite Sonam Kapoor. Khan plays Yuvraj Vikram Singh Rathore, Mili's love interest and the son of her patient; a Royal Indian family. Khan's performance was praised by the critics and noted as one of the highlights of the film. Moreover, the film emerged as a box office success, being declared as a "hit" by various media outlets. The film was particularly well received in the UK, UAE and Pakistan owing to Khan's following in these countries for his previous television work. In 2016, Khan was seen in Shakun Batra's family drama Kapoor & Sons, which was produced by Karan Johar. The film, which featured Khan alongside an ensemble cast including Rishi Kapoor, Ratna Pathak Shah, Rajat Kapoor, Sidharth Malhotra, and Alia Bhatt, became a major commercial success upon its release, and Khan received almost unanimously positive reviews from critics for his portrayal of a writer who is revealed to be a closeted homosexual. Khan will be seen with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Ranbir Kapoor, and Anushka Sharma in the upcoming movie Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, which will be directed and produced by Karan Johar. He has expressed his interest in becoming a director.
He has also been voted among the top five sexiest Bollywood actors in 2015 
Initially two separate rock bands, Ahmed Ali Butt's Entity and Khan's Paradigm were both active in the Lahore music scene since 1994 and 2000, respectively. During the early 2000s, the two bands collaborated with each other on the title track for Khan's and Butt's popular television sitcom, Jutt and Bond, when the show's director suggested that they do the title song together. Entity Paradigm's debut album, Irtiqa, released in October 2003 and received wide critical appreciation, especially the popular romantic track Rahguzar. The band performed Bolo Bolo in the third season of the popular TV music show Coke Studio. Khan left the band in 2012 to focus on his acting career.
He has raised money for Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital, Islamic Relief. Khan has shown his support to SOS Children's Villages by participating in the children carnivals that were organized in 2012 and 2014. In 2012, Khan was appointed as a brand ambassador of the WWF Earth Hour campaign. Commenting on his role, he shared that it was an honor to be associated with the cause and he hoped he would be able to convince people to adopt a safer strategy for energy conservation in future.
Awards and nominations
|Year||Film / Serial||Award||Category||Result|
|2008||Khuda Kay Liye||Lux Style Awards||Best Film Actor||Won|
|2011||Daastan||Best Television Actor-Satellite||Nominated|
|Pakistan Media Awards||Besr Actor-Satellite||Won|
|2013||Humsafar||Hum Awards||Best On-Screen Couple with Mahira Khan||Won|
|Hum Honorary Phenomenal Serial Award||Won|
|Pakistan Media Awards||Best Actor-Satellite||Nominated|
|Lux Style Awards||Best Television Actor-Satellite||Won|
|Armaan||Tarang Housefull Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Best Couple with Aamina Sheikh||Won|
|2014||Zindagi Gulzar Hai||Pakistan Media Awards||Best Actor-Satellite||Nominated|
|Hum Awards||Best Actor-Jury|
|Best Onscreen Couple with Sanam Saeed-Jury|
|Best Onscreen Couple Popular with Sanam Saeed-Popular|
|Lux Style Awards||Best Television Actor-Satellite|
|Khoobsurat||Masala Awards||Best Bollywood Debut|
|2015||Filmfare Award||Best Male Debut|
|Hum Awards||International Icon Of The Year|
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Star Debut of the Year – Male||Nominated|
|Kara Film Festival||KWIFF Award for Best Male Debut International||Won|
Other honors and recognition
- Sep 2014: He became the first ever Pakistani to be featured on the cover of Indian Magazine Film-fare.
- Nov 2014: Became 5th Most Popular Actor of the month by Times Celebex 
- Dec 2014: He was ranked as 37th Most Popular Bollywood celebrities of 2014 by MensXp 
- Nov 2014: Won Fresh Face of the Year at Hello (magazine) Hall Of Fame Awards 
- Dec 2014: He was ranked at 7th in The World's Sexiest Asian Men of 2014 by The Eastern Eye Weekly 
- April 2015: Ranked as the 3rd Most Desirable Men of 2014 by Times of India 
- April 2015: Voted as the Best Male Debut at IBNLive Movie Awards.
- July 2015: Named as The Most Beautiful Man of the year at Vogue Beauty Awards 
- Dec 2015: Ranked at 4th in The World's Sexiest Asian Men of 2015 by The Eastern Eye Weekly 
- "Fawad Khan turns 34, Sonam Kapoor sends him birthday wishes all the way from Mumbai". The Indian Express. 29 November 2015. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Staff, Images (2016-03-26). "What was Fawad Khan like before he became a big star? He tells all". images.dawn.com. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "From ‘Zaroon’ to ‘Vikram Singh Rathore’, here’s all you wanted to know about Fawad Afzal Khan". The Indian Express. 19 September 2014. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "Entity Paradigm: Fawad and Waqar bow out - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "What’s next for Fawad Khan?". Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Fawad Khan breaks records in Pakistan, Khoobsurat collects Rs. 3 crore". Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Mehta, Ankita (28 March 2016). "Box office collection: Now 'Kapoor & Sons' to cross Rs 100 crore mark in India; 'Neerja' earns Rs 75 crore". International Business Times. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Sarkar, Suparno (18 March 2016). "'Kapoor & Sons' review round-up: Here is what critics have to say about the rom-com". International Business Times. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Gupta, Priya (2 August 2014). "Fawad Khan: I cannot imagine my life without my wife". Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Akbar, Ali (11 November 2015). "I will invite Shah Rukh Khan to visit his hometown Peshawar: Fawad Khan". Dawn. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
I wish I could speak Pashto," he shared with Dawn News. "I am unfortunately one of the non-Pushto speaking Pathans. I am a Pathan, but have been living in Lahore.
- "Sonam Kapoor: If I love someone unconditionally, it’s Fawad Khan!". Bollywood Life. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
While talking to a glossy, Sonam said, "We loved working with him. He’s all heart and he’s a thorough Punju. He even speaks with a Punjabi accent
- "Fawad Khan: I cannot imagine my life without my wife". The Times of India. 2 August 2014. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Fawad Afzal Khan – Complete Biography of Chocolaty Hero". MagMediaNews. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Fawad Afzal Khan Biography". TV.com. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Who is Sonam Kapoor’s ‘Khoobsurat’ co-star Fawad Afzal Khan?". Daily Times. 19 September 2014. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Roy, Priyanka (6 August 2014). "Fawad the Charmer". Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Mr. and Mrs. Fawad Khan celebrate a decade of marital bliss
- "Fawad Khan launches new clothing line". The Express Tribune. 1 August 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "Fawad Khan to launch clothing line". 24 July 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "SILK by Fawad Khan at Latelier". The Express Tribune. 19 August 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- Rakshit, Nayandeep (3 September 2014). "Fawad Khan is diabetic!". Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Rock star Romeo". Dawn. 8 January 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Hasan, Taneeya (24 September 2011). "Dastaan: History on TV". Tribune. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Kumar, Anuj (18 September 2014). "The dude next door". Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "12th LUX Style Awards: Pakistan entertainment industry's big night". The Express Tribune. 4 July 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- Ahmed, Hareem. ""Ashk": A star studded disappointment". Retrieved April 2015.
- Mankani, Mahjabeen (5 December 2014). "Winners announced for 2014 Lux style Awards". Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Hum Awards honours prominent names in entertainment, fashion". Dawn. 31 March 2014. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "Zindagi Gulzar Hai: Pakistani drama serials win hearts in India". Dawn. 17 July 2014. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "A look at ‘Numm’". Pakistan Today. September 27, 2013.
- "Your favourite Fawad Khan will be back on Zindagi with ‘Behadd’". Zee News. August 29, 2014.
- "Chocolate hero’s Armaan has big plans for small screen". Express Tribune. March 8, 2013.
- "Fawad Khan Biography". PTV Global. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "pfdc l’oreal bridal fashion week: mahira khan & fawad for umar sayeed |". Pink255.com. 2011-12-26. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Fawad Khan walks the ramp at PSFW 2015". Express Tribune. April 22, 2015.
- "Fawad Khan expresses about Bollywood's fashion over the years". Zee News. July 15, 2015. Retrieved July 27, 2015.
- "Lux Style Awards: The champs of the evening". Samaa TV. October 1, 2015.
- agencies. "Ali Zafar, Fawad Khan in Sexiest Asian Men list topped by Hrithik Roshan". Retrieved January 11, 2015.
- Khan, Ujala Ali. "In conversation with the stars of Khoobsurat". www.thenational.ae. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "The new Khan gets casual about Bollywood". The Express Tribune. 31 August 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "Bollywood embraces the new Khan". The Express Tribune. 22 July 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "'Khoobsurat' review: Fawad, Sonam's fairytale love story Bollywood style!". Zee News. 24 September 2014. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "Fawad Khan is new 'eyecandy' who can act: Ayushmann". India TV. 21 September 2014. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "Positive word-of-mouth makes 'Khoobsurat' a hit - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2014-09-27. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Khoobsurat Heads Towards Happy Ending Due to Positive Word Of Mouth - NDTV Movies". Movies.ndtv.com. 2014-09-27. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Role in ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ not exactly cameo: Fawad Khan". PTI. Indian Express. March 9, 2016.
- "I want to direct eventually: Fawad Khan". PTI. Indian Express. September 17, 2014.
- Desk, News. "Fawad Khan fifth most popular actor in Bollywood". Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- "#ThrowbackThursday: Fawad Khan with his former co-stars". The Express Tribune. 3 September 2014. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- Parande, Shweta. "Watch Zindagi Gulzar Hai star Fawad Afzal Khan sing for Coke Studio Pakistan!". Retrieved April 2015.
- Khan, Sher. "Entity Paradigm: Fawad and Waqar bow out". Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Never faced any issues in India: Fawad Khan". Express Tribune. November 11, 2015.
- "Fawad Khan attends Islamic Relief USA fundraising event in the US". Express Tribune. March 9, 2015.
- Editorial. "SOS Children's Carnival 2014". SOS. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- "WWF Earth Hour 2012". Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- desk, web. "Who is Sonam Kapoor’s ‘Khoobsurat’ co-star Fawad Afzal Khan?". Retrieved April 2015.
- desk, entertainment. "Fawad Khan wins Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut". Retrieved April 2015.
- "BTS secrets of "Ho Mann Jahan"". Aaj TV.
- Dasgupta, Piyasree (March 23, 2016). "Can We Please Get More Fawad Khans In Bollywood?". Huffington Post India.
- "Anushka, Ranbir, Fawad on the Sets of Ae Dil Hai Mushkil". NDTV. March 27, 2016.
- "Fog Catcher Films announced Albela Rahi". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-02-05.
- Mahmood, Rafay (January 8, 2016). "Fawad Khan cast as Maula Jatt, Hamza Ali Abbasi is Noori". Express Tribune.
- "Fawad Afzal Khan - Heartthrob of Pakistan: Filmography". www.fawadafzalkhan.com. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Fawad Khan: 15 Things You Didn't Know About". Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- Gera, Sonal. "Happy Birthday Fawad Khan: the khoobsurat prince turns 33". Retrieved April 2015.
- IMDB. "Satrangi". IMDB.
- "Fawad Khan Jeevan Ki Rahon Mein". Facebook Official Fawad Khan Profile Page. Retrieved May 2016.
- "Telefilm: Three`s a crowd". Retrieved April 2015.
- Lakhani, Somya. "Fawad Khan’s Pakistani show ‘Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam’ is a partition love story". Retrieved April 2015.
- "LUX Style Awards announce Nominations for Television, Music and Fashion | Fashion Central Blog". Fashioncentral.pk. 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- Review, Friday. "The dude next door". Retrieved April 2015.
- "Fawad Khan returns to TV with 'Kuch Pyaar Ka Paagalpan Bhi Tha'". DNA India. February 1, 2016.
- Khalid, Yasmeen (2013-07-29). "Winners of the Lux Style Awards 2013". DESIblitz. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "13th Lux Style awards: And the winners are... - Pakistan". Dawn.Com. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- TNN. "Fawad Khan's Behadd back by popular demand". Retrieved April 2015.
- "Fawad Khan bags the fresh face of 2014 award in Mumbai | ARY NEWS". Arynews.tv. 2014-11-11. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Hrithik Roshan Beats Kushal Tandon to Win 'World's Sexiest Asian Man 2014' Title; Shah Rukh Khan Fails to Enter Top 10". Ibtimes.co.in. 2014-12-11. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Fawad Khan beats Ranbir Kapoor in Times 50 Most Desirable Men of 2014 - The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. 2015-04-28. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Irresistible Fawad Khan Is Mr. Grey In Dior Suit At Vogue Beauty Awards 2015". Boldsky. 2015-07-23. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Sexiest Asian Men In The World: Zayn Malik tops the list, Hrithik Roshan, Barun Sobti in top 10". Ibtimes.co.in. 2015-12-16. Retrieved 2015-12-17.