Struwe & V.A.Albert
Gelsemiaceae is a family of flowering plants, belonging to the order Gentianales. The family contains only three genera: Gelsemium, Mostuea and Pteleocarpa. Gelsemium has three species, one native to Southeast Asia and southern China and two native to Central America, Mexico, and the southeastern United States. The eight species of Mostuea are native to tropical areas of South America, Africa, and Madagascar. The two genera were formerly classified in the family Loganiaceae. Pteleocarpa was originally placed in Boraginaceae or in its own family Pteleocarpaceae, but it is most closely related to Gelsemiaceae with which it shares significant characters.
In 2014, a molecular phylogenetic study of the lamiids (aka Garryidae) resolved Gelsemiaceae as sister to the anomalous genus Pteleocarpa. The authors of that study believe that Gelsemiaceae should be expanded to include Pteleocarpa. The APG IV system published in 2016 includes Pteleocarpa in Gelsemiaceae.
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (2009). "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III" (PDF). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society. 161 (2): 105–121. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.2009.00996.x. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Peter F. Stevens (2001 onwards). "Gelsemiaceae" At: Angiosperm Phylogeny Website. At: Botanical Databases At: Missouri Botanical Garden Website. (see External links below)
- Lena Struwe, Victor A. Albert, and Birgitta Bremer. 1994. "Cladistics and family level classification of the Gentianales". Cladistics 10(2):175-206. doi:10.1111/j.1096-0031.1994.tb00171.x
- Nancy F. Refulio-Rodriguez and Richard G. Olmstead. 2014. "Phylogeny of Lamiidae". American Journal of Botany 101(2):287-299. doi:10.3732/ajb.1300394.
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (2016). "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG IV" (PDF). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society. 181 (1): 1–20. doi:10.1111/boj.12385. ISSN 0024-4074.
- Distribution Map And Genus List At: Gelsemiaceae At: Gentianales At: Trees At: APweb At: botanical databases At: About Science & Conservation At: Missouri Botanical Garden
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gelsemiaceae.|