Schisandraceae is a family of flowering plants with 3 known genera and a total of 85 known species (Christenhusz & Byng 2016 ). Such a family has been recognized by most taxonomists, at least for the past several decades. Before that, the plants concerned were assigned to family Magnoliaceae.
The APG II system, of 2003, also recognizes such a family. It places the family in order Austrobaileyales, which in turn is accepted as being among the most basic lineages in the clade angiosperms. APG II assumes this to be a family of three genera, the Schisandraceae sensu lato. This family consists of woody plants, containing essential oils.
However, APG II does allow the option of segregating the genus Illicium as the family Illiciaceae. This leaves only two genera in the family Schisandraceae sensu stricto, consisting of Schisandra and Kadsura, totalling several dozen species, which are found in tropical to temperate regions of East and Southeast Asia and the Caribbean.
The APG system, of 1998, recognized both the families Schisandraceae sensu stricto and Illiciaceae, unplaced as to order. It regarded both families as being among the most basic lineages in the clade angiosperms.
The Cronquist system, of 1981, treated the plants in the family (in its wider sense) as two separate families, which together constituted
- the order Illiciales,
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (2009). "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III" (PDF). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 161 (2): 105–121. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.2009.00996.x. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Christenhusz, M. J. M. & Byng, J. W. (2016). "The number of known plants species in the world and its annual increase". Phytotaxa (Magnolia Press) 261 (3): 201–217. doi:10.11646/phytotaxa.261.3.1.
- Schisandraceae [sensu stricto] in L. Watson and M.J. Dallwitz (1992 onwards) The families of flowering plants: descriptions, illustrations, identification, information retrieval. Version: 3 May 2006. http://delta-intkey.com.
- Schisandraceae [sensu stricto] in the Flora of North America
- NCBI Taxonomy Browser [Schisandraceae sensu lato]
- Nianhe Xia, Yuhu Liu, and Richard M. K. Saunders (2008). "Schisandraceae". In Wu Zhengyi (吴征镒), Peter H. Raven, and Hong Deyuan (洪德元). Flora of China 7. pp. 39–39.