A bottle of Goldschläger.
|Country of origin||Switzerland|
|Alcohol by volume||40%|
Goldschläger is a Swiss cinnamon schnapps (43.5% alcohol by volume or 87 proof; originally it was 53.5% alcohol or 107 proof), a liqueur with very thin, yet visible flakes of gold floating in it. The actual amount of gold has been measured at approximately 13 mg in a 1-Litre bottle of Goldschläger. As of July 2015 this amounts to €0.44 EUR or lower on the international gold market.
Goldschläger was produced in Switzerland until the 1990s, when the brand was acquired by Diageo, which continued production of Goldschläger schnapps in Italy. Since 2008 it is a brand of Global Brands and produced in Switzerland again. The German word Goldschläger ("gold beater") designates the profession of gold leaf makers, who beat bars of gold into micrometre-thin sheets.
It competes on the market with other cinnamon-based elixirs including Fireball Cinnamon Whisky by Sazerac Company, DeKuyper Hot Damn! (liqueur), Hood River Distillers SinFire Cinnamon Whisky, Red Stag Spiced by Jim Beam and Jack Tennessee Fire by Jack Daniel's.
- Rich Dead Nazi (aka Liquid Cocaine) : Goldschläger, Jägermeister, and peppermint schnapps mixed in equal proportion 
- Cinnamon Cocktail: A single shot of Goldschläger mixed with equal parts of Red Bull and soda water on ice.
- Irish Cookie: 1/2 oz chocolate, 6 ozs stout (Guinness), 1/2 oz Bailey's Irish Cream, 1/2 oz Goldschläger.
Gold Blood: A single shot of Goldschläger with a very small amount of grenadine spooned in on the side, so as not to mix. It settles on the bottom of the shot glass, and the gold flakes are prominent. A drink made by fans of the football club the San Francisco 49ers, whose colors are red and gold.
- Venable, Shannon (2011). Gold: A Cultural Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. p. 136. ISBN 0-313-38430-4.
- "How much gold is in Goldschlager?". 2008-05-28. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- "US Gold Price". 2012-04-05. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Independent drinks management company for premium brands - GlobalBrands.co.uk". globalbrands.co.uk.
- "Goldschlager - Schnapps - Spirits, Liqueurs & Speciality drinks - Globalbrands.co.uk - GlobalBrands.co.uk". globalbrands.co.uk.
- "Englisch - Deutsch Wörterbuch - leo.org: Startseite". leo.org.
- http://www.cinnamoncocks.com[dead link]
- Keith Stuart. "Six video game cocktails". the Guardian.