Proposed nuclear power stations in the United Kingdom
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|start of construction||proposed start of generation||Link||Notes|
|Bradwell B||Essex||2.3 GW||CGN and EDF||Hualong One||2030||||Target commercial operation date about 2030|
|Hinkley Point C||Somerset||3.2 GW||EDF||EPR||2018||2023||||Construction began December 2018.|
|Moorside||Cumbria||3-3.4 GW||NuGeneration||AP1000||cancelled||-||||8 November 2018 Toshiba announced withdrawal from the development|
|Moorside clean energy hub||Cumbria||3.2 GW||EDF||EPR||-||-||Following the cancellation of the Moorside project by Toshiba, on the 30th june 2020 EDF announced proposals to construct a near replica of sizewell C and Hinkley point C as this will reduce overall costs of the project, one of the main criticisms of the Hinkley point C project. The plans come as a part of a proposed Clean Energy Hub for the area which is backed by 14 other companies and trade unions including the UK construction firm, Balfour Beatty and the union Unite. The consortium claims that 25000 jobs will be created with the construction of the hub. The hub is also aiming to use existing nuclear supply chains within the area and also be the site of SMR's and AMR's in the future.|
|Oldbury||Gloucestershire||2.7 GW||Horizon Nuclear Power||ABWR||||Shelved in January 2019|
|Sizewell C||Suffolk||3.2 GW||EDF and CGN||EPR||2021 (proposed)||||The project has completed its stage 4 consultation, which is allowing EDF to submit its planning application which is expected to be at the start of 2020, before a decision is made on the plants future in 2020. After this construction is expected to start around 2021, with an accelerated timeline due to the replication of the Hinkley point C power plant on the site. On 27 May 2020, EDF energy put in a development consent order application, prior to the start of construction at the site |
|Wylfa Newydd||Anglesey||3.0 GW||Horizon Nuclear Power||ABWR||||Shelved in January 2019.|
- Vaughan, Adam. "UK takes £5bn stake in Welsh nuclear power station in policy U-turn". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "China General Nuclear ready to ramp up UK ambitions". World Nuclear News. 6 December 2018. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "Toshiba Nugen Liquidation Announcement" (PDF). Toshiba Corporation. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Nuclear at heart of proposed Moorside clean energy hub".
- "Moorside: Nuclear power schemes proposed for Cumbria site".
- Vaughan, Adam (17 January 2019). "Hitachi scraps £16bn nuclear power station in Wales". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 January 2019.
- EDF. https://www.edfenergy.com/media-centre/news-releases/sizewell-c-dco. Retrieved 2 June 2020. Missing or empty
- "Nuclear power: Eight sites identified for future plants". BBC. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
|This article about nuclear power and nuclear reactors for power generation is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|