Stefan Đurić Rasta
|Birth name||Stefan Đurić|
|Born||Priština, SFR Yugoslavia|
Stefan Đurić (Serbian Cyrillic: Стефан Ђурић), better known as Rasta (Раста) is a Serbian rapper, singer-songwriter and record producer. He is best known for using and popularizing the Auto-Tune pitch correction effect on the regional music scene and is noted for promoting marijuana throughout his career.
Rasta is also the founder of the record label imprint Balkaton, established in 2015.
Life and career
1989–2010: Early life and career beginnings
Stefan Đurić was born in Priština, SR Serbia, SFR Yugoslavia to university professors Slađana and Drago Đurić. At sixteen years of age he started performing as an MC, and later worked as a radio presenter on a national frequency. Rasta initially gained acclaim as an underground performer for promoting cannabis in his songs and released his debut mixtape, titled Sensemilia Mixtape, in 2009. The following year he released his second mixtape One i lova (Them and Money) and also served as an opening act for 50 Cent at his Belgrade concert.
2011–present: Mainstream sucess
In 2011, Djurić released his electro-infused studio album Superstar under Mascom Records.
In June 2014, Rasta had a viral hit with "Kavasaki" (Kawasaki), which became his breakout single to mainstream success. Same year he also collaborated with Serbian rapper Gru on the song "Dugme po dugme" (Button After Button). Following further singles, such as "Cavali" (Cavalli), "Habibi" (2015); "Euforija" (Euphoria) and "Hotel" (2016), he rose to become one of the most popular club performers on the west Balkans. In 2015, Rasta established record label Balkaton in partnership with Serbian rapper and producer Oneya and Bassivity Music.
In February 2017, he released an EP titled Indigo. Later that year, Rasta and his then wife Ana Nikolić became judges on the Serbian version of Got Talent. From June to November, he was releasing songs from the other part of his Indigo body of work, which had a more commercial style than the previous one. Between April and May 2018, Rasta was releasing tracks, alongside accompanying visuals, from his forthcoming project Don Reggaeton. On 15 September, Rasta held a concert in the Belgrade Arena, making him the second Serbian hip-hop artist to do so. At the beginning of 2019, he performed at the regional Music Awards Ceremony and earned Modern Dance Song of the Year award for "Adio Amore".
In July 2016, Đurić married Serbian pop singer Ana Nikolić after a few months of dating in secret. She gave birth to their daughter Tara in August the following year. However, after several months of media speculation, the couple eventually divorced in 2018.
In April 2017, owner of the record label Mascom, Slobodan Nešović accused Đurić of physically assaulting him alongside four men, due to unpaid wages of his 2012 digital release. The case went to court, followed with much media attention. In March 2019, Đurić was declared free of charge.
- Sensemilia Mixtape (2009)
- One i lova (2010)
- Kaseta (2010)
- Superstar (2011)
- Indigo (2017)
- Don Reggaeton (2018)
- Air Max Reggae (TBA)
- "Džala, Buba, Maja i Rasta tinejdžerska božanstva". Večernje novosti (in Serbian).
- "50 Cent za 2.500 najvernijih". B92 (in Serbian). 2010.
- "50 Potpisali ugovor! Ana Nikolić i Rasta u žiriju muzičkog takmičenja" (in Serbian). Tracara.com.
- "Spektakl u Areni! Rasta održao koncert za pamćenje!" (in Serbian). IDJWorld.rs. September 2018.
- "Espresso na koncertu Raste!" (in Serbian). Espresso.rs. September 2018.
- "Ovo je lista dobitnika regionalnih MAC muzičkih nagrada" (in Serbian). Tracara.com. January 2019.
- "Ana Nikolić se udala za Rastu" (in Serbian). Tracara.com.
- "Mama i beba otišle kući, pogledajte kako Ana Nikolić izgleda posle porođaja" (in Serbian). Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Prijateljica potvrdila: Ana je zauvek zavrišla sa Rastom!" (in Serbian). Tracara.com. September 2018.
- "Odredili visinu alimentacije za ćerku, Ana i Rasta se razvode!". Blic.rs (in Serbian). 2018.
- "Rasta: Lokin dug veci od 30.000€" (in Serbian). Večernje Novosti. September 2018.
- "Sud odlučio, Rasta nije pretukao Loku!" (in Serbian). Tracara.com. March 2019.