|Birth name||Vesna Pisarović|
|Born||9 April 1978|
Brčko, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, SFR Yugoslavia
|Genres||Pop, Teen pop 1997–2006|
Vesna Pisarović (born 9 April 1978) is a Croatian pop and jazz singer.
Life and career
1978–1999: Early life
Pisarović was born in Brčko, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, SFR Yugoslavia and grew up in Požega, SR Croatia, a part of the same country until she was 13. From her earliest childhood she attended a music school, where she played the flute, sang in choirs and participated in various music contests.
In the mid-1990s she moved to Zagreb, Croatia, where she graduated from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. She began singing in clubs and writing songs. In 1997, while performing at the Croatian festival Zadarfest, she met Milana Vlaović. Vlaović started to write songs for Vesna.
2000–2002: Breakthrough and the Eurovision Song Contest
In 2002 Vesna Pisarović won the annual Dora festival, the event that determines Croatia's entry for the Eurovision Song Contest. Her song "Everything I Want" placed 11th in the Eurovision Song Contest 2002. She wrote the song "In the Disco" for the Bosnian vocalist Deen, which represented Bosnia and Herzegovina at the Eurovision Song Contest 2004.
2016–2019: Naša velika pjesmarica and Petit Standard
2020–present: Upcoming ninth studio album
On 5 October 2019 in an interview with Narodni radio Pisarović revealed that she has been working on her upcoming pop album since 2006. Since then she has written over 30 songs. The recording process for the album started in early 2020. On 13 February 2021, Pisarović performed a medley during the show program at Dora 2021. In August 2021 in an interview with Slobodna Dalmacija, Pisarović revealed how she has "two thousand music sheets of new music" that she has written in the past few years. She also noted how the album is in the works but not yet ready to be announced. Pisarović's major comeback concert with her mainstream repertoire was supposed to be held in 2020 but was rescheduled multiple times because of the Covid-19 pandemic. In early 2022 the concert was confirmed to be held at the Dom Sportova in Zagreb on 29 April 2022.
- Da znaš (2000)
- Za tebe stvorena (2001)
- Kao da je vrijeme... (2002)
- Pjesma mi je sve (2003)
- Peti (2005)
- With Suspicious Minds (2012)
- Naša velika pjesmarica / The Great Yugoslav Songbook (2017)
- Petit Standard (2019)
Awards and nominations
|Year||Association||Category||Nominee / work||Result||Ref.|
|2018||Porin||Parlour Album of the Year||Naša velika pjesmarica / The Great Yugoslav Songbook||Nominated|||
- "Vesna Pisarović: Suprug je podržao moj zaokret prema jazzu" (in Croatian). 30 January 2011. Archived from the original on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- Bohlman, Philip V. (2004). The music of European nationalism. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO. p. 2. ISBN 978-1-57607-270-7. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Eurovision Song Contest 2002". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Vesna Pisarović: Kad mi se plastični nokat zabio u vrata ormara, zapitala sam se neke stvari…". ravnododna (in Croatian). 6 March 2019. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Ljetna turneja 'Pjesmarice' Vesne Pisarović". pdv.com.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Vesna Pisarović za Narodni o odlasku iz Hrvatske". Narodni radio (in Croatian). 4 October 2019. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Nevjerojatno glazbeno izdanje Vesne Pisarović u dnevnom boravku!". eZadar (in Croatian). 4 October 2019. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Vesna Pisarović najavila povratak na scenu". zagreb.info (in Croatian). 4 October 2019. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Vesna Pisarović oduševila pojavom na Dori 2021". Hrvatska radiotelevizija (in Croatian). 15 February 2021. Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- Matić, Anita (7 August 2021). "Vesna Pisarović najavljuje veliki povratak u pop vode, a sprema i novi album". Slobodna Dalmacija (in Croatian). Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- "Zbog koronavirusa i novonastale situacije odgođen je i koncert Vesne Pisarović u Domu sportova!". Dnevnik.hr (in Croatian). 11 March 2020. Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- "Veliki povratak Vesne Pisarović: Napokon koncert u Domu Sportova". Gloria (in Croatian). 1 April 2022. Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- "Vesna Pisarović i Kozmodrum nominirani za nagradu Porin" (in Croatian). pdv.com.hr. 15 January 2018. Retrieved 5 October 2019.