Thoddoo (Alif Alif Atoll)
|Administrative atoll||Alif Alif Atoll|
|Distance to Malé||67.51 km (41.95 mi)|
|• Length||1.675 km (1.041 mi)|
|• Width||1.200 km (0.746 mi)|
|• Total||1,534 (including foreigners)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:00 (MST)|
There are important Buddhist ruins in an area of this island and some key remains were found. Muhammad Ismāīl Dīdī, leading member of the committee exploring the Buddhist ruins of Toddu Island in the 1950s, was amazed at the care with which a Buddha statue they found had been buried. His mind wandered back to the time of forceful conversion and his opinion was:
Even though the people in Malé had already become Muslims, (Toddu) islanders were still attached to the Buddhist tradition. However, knowing that they had to submit to the official religion, they decided to hide the idol they used to worship and did so with utmost care. As fast as they could, they removed the idol (budu) from its pedestal and placed it on a depression of the floor of the surrounding temple compound filling it with fine sand. They buried it very respectfully along with other holy implements and flower garlands, circling the perimeter with stones. They didn’t destroy the temple building itself, probably because our ancestors of this island hoped that after a short time, the Buddhist religion would establish itself again. Then they would be able to reinstate the idol to its original position.
Unfortunately the Buddhist sites were not protected after excavation and have been vandalized in recent times.
The island is 67.51 km (42 mi; 36 nmi) northwest of the country's capital, Malé, and also 20 km (12 mi) from Rasdhoo. Thoddoo is about 2 km (1.2 mi) in length and 1 km (0.62 mi) in width. One-third of the total area is agricultural, another third is the village itself, and the rest of the island is empty.
|2006-2014: Census populations|
The island’s population is about 1,400 people.
This island is the largest producer of watermelon in Maldives. Watermelons are commonly produced during the holy month of Ramadan when demand in Malé peaks and prices are high.
- "Table PP5: Resident Population by sex, nationality and locality (administrative islands), 2014" (PDF). Population and Households Census 2014. National Bureau of Statistics. p. 34. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Coordinate Distance Calculator". Boulter.com. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Table 3.3: Total Maldivian Population by Islands" (PDF). National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Thoddoo Island in Maldives. Full review - Budget Maldives". Budget Maldives. 2018-02-13. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Xavier Romero-Frias, The Maldive Islanders, A Study of the Popular Culture of an Ancient Ocean Kingdom. Barcelona 1999, ISBN 84-7254-801-5
- Divehi Tārīkhah Au Alikameh. Chapter 11, page 262.
|This Maldives location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|