|Born||January 21, 1972|
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
|Education||Suzhou High School
University of Science and Technology of China
University of California, Berkeley
|Notable awards||MacArthur Fellows Program, ACS Award in Pure Chemistry, Max Delbruck Prize, Sackler Prize, NAS Award in Molecular Biology|
Xiaowei Zhuang (simplified Chinese: 庄小威; traditional Chinese: 莊小威) (b. January, 1972) is a Chinese-American biophysicist, and the David B. Arnold Jr. Professor of Science, Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology and Professor of Physics at Harvard University, and an Investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Xiaowei Zhuang is best known for her work in the development of Stochastic Optical Reconstruction Microscopy (STORM) , a super-resolution fluorescence microscopy method, and the discoveries of novel cellular structures using STORM.
Early life and education
Zhuang graduated from the USTC with a B.S. in Physics in 1991. She obtained her Ph.D. in Physics from the University of California, Berkeley in 1996 and conducted her thesis research under the supervision of Dr. Yuen-Ron Shen. In 1997-2001, she was a Chodorow Postdoctoral Fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Steven Chu at Stanford University. She started her faculty position in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology and Department of Physics at Harvard University in 2001.
Zhuang’s laboratory invented Stochastic Optical Reconstruction Microscopy (STORM), a single-molecule-based super-resolution fluorescence microscopy method. The Zhuang laboratory demonstrated three-dimensional super-resolution imaging with STORM. The Zhuang laboratory also discovered several photoswitchable dye molecules  that enabled STORM imaging and demonstrated live-cell STORM imaging.
Using STORM, Zhuang and colleagues have studied a variety of biological system, ranging from single-cell organisms to complex brain tissues. These studies led to the discovery of novel cellular structures, such as the periodic membrane skeletons in the axons of neurons and provided insights into many other cellular structures.
The Zhuang laboratory invented a single-cell transcriptome imaging method, MERFISH (multiplexed error-robust fluorescence in situ hybridization), which allows numerous RNA species to be imaged and quantified in single cells in their native context. Zhuang and colleagues used single-molecule FRET to study biomolecules and molecular complexes  and developed single-virus tracking methods to study virus-cell interactions.
Honors and awards
- 2015: Foreign academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- 2015: NAS Award in Molecular Biology
- 2013: Member American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2012: Member National Academy of Sciences
- 2012: Fellow American Physical Society
- 2012: Fellow American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2011: Sackler Prize
- 2010: Max Delbruck Prize
- 2008: Coblentz Award
- 2006: ACS Award in Pure Chemistry
- 2004: Sloan Fellowship
- 2003: David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- 2003: MacArthur Fellows Program
- 2003: Beckman Young Investigators Award
- "Zhuang Lab Webpage". zhuang.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Harvard Chemistry and Chemical Biology Faculty: Xiaowei Zhuang". Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Harvard Physics Faculty: Xiaowei Zhuang". Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "HHMI Scientist Bio: Xiaowei Zhuang, Ph.D". Hhmi.org. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- "M. J. Rust, M. Bates, X. Zhuang, "Sub-diffraction-limit imaging by stochastic optical reconstruction microscopy (STORM)", Nature Methods 3, 793-795 (2006)".
- "M. Bates, B. Huang, G. T. Dempsey, X. Zhuang, "Multicolor Super-Resolution Imaging with Photo-Switchable Fluorescent Probes", Science 317, 1749-1753 (2007)".
- "B. Huang, W. Wang, M. Bates, X. Zhuang, "Three-dimensional Super-resolution Imaging by Stochastic Optical Reconstruction Microscopy", Science 319, 810-813 (2008)".
- "M. Bates, T. R. Blosser, X. Zhuang, "Short-range spectroscopic ruler based on a single-molecule optical switch", Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 108101 (2005)".
- "S-H. Shim, C. Xia, G. Zhong, H.P. Babcock, J.C. Vaughan, B. Huang, X. Wang, C. Xu, G-Q. Bi, X. Zhuang "Super-resolution Fluorescence Imaging of Organelles in Live Cells with Photoswitchable Membrane Probes", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 109, 13978-13983 (2012)".
- "S. Jones, S-H. Shim, J. He, X. Zhuang, "Fast, three-dimensional super-resolution imaging of live cells", Nature Methods 8, 499-505 (2011)".
- "K. Xu, G. Zhong, X. Zhuang, "Actin, spectrin and associated proteins form a periodic cytoskeleton structure in axons", Science 339, 452-456 (2013)".
- "G. Zhong, J. He, R. Zhou, D. Lorenzo, H.P. Babcock, V. Bennett, X. Zhuang, "Developmental mechanism of the periodic membrane skeleton in axons" eLife, DOI:10.7554/eLife.04581 (2014)".
- "A. Dani, B. Huang, J. Bergan, C. Dulac, X. Zhuang, "Super-resolution imaging of chemical synapses in the brain", Neuron 68, 843-856 (2010)".
- "Y. Doksani, J. Wu, T. de Lange, X. Zhuang, "Super-resolution fluorescence imaging reveals TRF2-dependent t-loop formation", Cell 155, 345-356 (2013)".
- "J. Chung, S. Shim, R. Everley, S. Gygi, X. Zhuang, D. Clapham, "Structurally distinct Ca2+ signaling domains of sperm flagella orchestrate tyrosine phosphorylation and motility", Cell 157, 808-822 (2014)".
- "K.H. Chen, A.N. Boettiger, J.R. Moffitt, S. Wang, X. Zhuang, "Spatially resolved, highly multiplexed RNA profiling in single cells" Science 348, aaa6090 (2015)".
- "X. Zhuang, L. Bartley, H. Babcock, R. Russell, T. Ha, D. Herschlag, S. Chu, "A single-molecule study of RNA catalysis and folding", Science 288 , 2048-2051 (2000)".
- "M. D. Stone, M. Mihalusova, C. M. O'Connor, R. Prathapam, K. Collins, X. Zhuang, "Stepwise protein-mediated RNA folding directs assembly of telomerase ribonucleoprotein", Nature 446, 458-461 (2007)".
- "E. Abbondanzieri, G. Bokinsky, J. W. Rausch, J. X. Zhang, S. F. J. Le Grice, X. Zhuang, "Dynamic binding orientations direct activity of HIV reverse transcriptase", Nature 453, 184-189 (2008)".
- "T. Blosser, J. Yang, M. Stone, G. Narlikar, X. Zhuang, "Dynamics of Nucleosome Remodeling by Individual ACF Complexes", Nature 462, 1022-1027 (2009)".
- "W.L. Hwang, S. Deindl, B.T. Harada, X. Zhuang, "Histone H4 tail mediates allosteric regulation of nucleosome remodelling by linker DNA" Nature 512, 213-217 (2014)".
- "M. Lakadamyali, M. J. Rust, H P. Babcock, X. Zhuang, "Visualizing infection of individual influenza viruses", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100, 9280-9285 (2003)".
- "M. J. Rust, M. Lakadamyali, F. Zhang, X. Zhuang, "Assembly of endocytic machinery around individual influenza viruses during viral entry", Nature Struct. Mol. Biol. 11 , 567-573 (2004)".
- "B. Brandenburg, X. Zhuang, "Virus trafficking - learning from single-virus tracking", Nat. Rev. Microbiology 5, 197-208 (2007)".
- http://www.cas.cn/tz/201512/t20151207_4488383.shtml 关于公布2015年中国科学院院士增选当选院士名单的公告
- "Beckman Young Investigators Award Recipients". Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation. Retrieved 17 October 2014.